Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Minimum expectation for me at least was to shake off the despondency of the last couple of seasons.
I reckon, in the main, that has been achieved. Given the transfer activity in the summer I expected a good start this term but once again we shoot ourselves in the foot. Massive opportunity missed yesterday to confirm we've made progress.

I thought we’d have 7 points after 4 games ( 2 home wins and a point at Bournemouth) so points wise I’m not too disappointed. However throwing away 2 leads has peed me off.

Until we sort our defence out we will keep having up and down results.

We can't win them all and the Wolves result was a decent enough result given that we went down to 10 men. But them doing great things in the league below is irrelevant when coming up against a club as established as us in the top flight. They have a truly class player in Neves, and obviously Moutinho has had a good career, but the vast majority of their squad is unproven in this league. They are very overrated and we should be looking at beating sides like them if we want to improve as a club.

The Huddersfield and Bournemouth results were wasted opportunities yet again. Bournemouth because we took a 2 goal lead, and have vastly more resources than them as a club, and Huddersfield because they will be in a relegation battle, if not comfortably relegated and we played them at home.

8 points was the minimum return we should have been aiming for in my opinion. However, I do accept that we have been unlucky with injuries and when players come back/in to the side we should see an improvement.

A year under a manager winning the championship, knowing the tactics and players will have helped wolves, bournemouth and huddersfield.

New manager, lots of players out etc...

Need a few games more to get familiar with one another.

A year under a manager winning the championship, knowing the tactics and players will have helped wolves, bournemouth and huddersfield.

New manager, lots of players out etc...

Need a few games more to get familiar with one another.
You're spot on Zat. You're contextualising the debate by considering the multiple issues at play.

We have played well in some of the games even though we've had the bulk of our signings not available.

And the point about playing it across the back 4 (can't remember who said it)- that's what you do to move the deep lying opposition from side to side until a pocket of space arises. And you then look to your inventive CM to knit things together. We were missing that due to injuries.

Alternatively-

You keep Allardyce and you tonk it over the midfield and hope it disrupts the back line enough to play off the second ball.

Which Silva will NEVER do

When it comes to the Toffee's, best to have none.

That way, the disappointment at the end of the season is easier to swallow.

Status
Not open for further replies.