Homepage Article Everton's Statement On European Super League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming that UEFA plan to go further.

The cynic in me thinks we'll just see a massive line drawn under this now.
We will, because those clubs are the revenue generators. The punishment couldn’t be so severe that it drove them back to ESL. Thats just common sense really.

The calls for penalties that would ruin them would never happen. It’s in no ones interest as every club and the authorities would suffer.

I wouldn't hold your breath, the Premier League have been investigating Man City's FFP breaches for the last two years.
There will be no punishment. It has been pointed out that they haven’t actually broken any rules yet.

Punishment will just dissolve into a never ending legal battle.

The only solution is legislation.

Everyone knows that this was spearheaded by those 2 clubs. Can't wait for the next iteration and that HUGE fine and points deduction which totally isn't going to matter to them.

Ah we knew that.

-30pts is really helpful when they’re not competing. But the Premier a league is terrified of losing its cash cow, so £22m combined was more than enough.

When the time is right, they’ll go. Sky and BT will be all in on this now, trying to offer as much money as possible.

Well that enormous fine and ticking off worked well.

Barça had a members' assembly today and Laporta was essentially claiming that the English clubs had only pulled out due to UEFA pressure. He said UEFA have now accepted they cannot legally punish the Super League clubs and so he expects to have everyone back on board soon. At first I thought he was deluded but now I am not so sure...

Barça had a members' assembly today and Laporta was essentially claiming that the English clubs had only pulled out due to UEFA pressure. He said UEFA have now accepted they cannot legally punish the Super League clubs and so he expects to have everyone back on board soon. At first I thought he was deluded but now I am not so sure...

Anyone surprised that Big Red would still put their own greed above the very ethos of competition?

It wasn't really the threat of UEFA sanctions that caused them to back-track. It was the vociferous reaction of the clubs' fans that shocked them into an embarrassing and cringing apology.

The clubs may try again, but they will have to dramatically change the format to bring fans on board, and I suspect there will be no new attempt any time soon, at least until those wounds start to heal and a carefully constructed PR campaign is developed. In the meantime, the Premier League organises itself to make such moves in the future illegal.

It will be messy...

It wasn't really the threat of UEFA sanctions that caused them to back-track. It was the vociferous reaction of the clubs' fans that shocked them into an embarrassing and cringing apology.

The clubs may try again, but they will have to dramatically change the format to bring fans on board, and I suspect there will be no new attempt any time soon, at least until those wounds start to heal and a carefully constructed PR campaign is developed. In the meantime, the Premier League organises itself to make such moves in the future illegal.

It will be messy...

Yes, the Chelsea fans outside Stamford Bridge killed this. There's been a lot of attempts to rewrite what happened, but the truth is that Chelsea demonstration terrified the English clubs into dropping out.

Well that enormous fine and ticking off worked well.

they’ve played a master stroke in getting the punishment down to something they can tolerate and still break away with.

20 million pound fine will be easily covered by the prize of joint the super league.

30 point reduction is just low enough that all of those teams (maybe except Spurs) would be confident of still being in the prem even if they incurred it. They wouldn’t have to worry about CL either. Meanwhile Madrid Barca and Juve have just proven that Uefa can’t touch them in the court room.

They’ve basically removed every impediment now to leaving. They’ll be gone in the near term future no question now. The prem indulged them so much that it couldn’t even bring itself to punish them properly, they get what they deserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.