Evertonians in Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.

It doesn't surprise me that a team from the city of Liverpool would the most well supported English club in Ireland, given the fact that so many people in the city are of Irish descent, stretching back to the days of An Gorta Mor when the Famine boats pulled into Liverpool en route from Ireland to Boston and New York and half the wretched people on board could take no more after even such a short hop and jumped ship on the dock and somehow managed to eke out a living and prosper on Merseyside.

Not for nowt was Liverpool dubbed the "capital of Ireland".

No.....the amazing thing is that it is the RS rather than EFC which is the most popular.

We have discussed on here before how back in the 20th, Everton were the team of the descendants of those Irish survivors and the Irish who came afterwards, such as just about every ancestor yours truly can trace ;)

We also have anecdotal evidence, brought to my attention by Dave and which certainly seems to fit a pattern, that Liverpool Football Club operated a de facto ban on employing Irish Catholic players from the auld sod up until the mid 70s when they signed Ronnie Whelan from Home Farm.

(Elisha Scott and Steve Heighway don't count.....one being an Ulster Prod and the other being English raised and playing for Skem :))

It was a mini Belfast or Glasgow here before the War, with Everton the Celtic to the RS Rangers.

So given all this, how did do many Irish Catholics take this abomination of a club to their hearts?

Now you Irish lids......be sure to let the RS buggers in Dublin, Cork and the Falls Road in Befast know this history and tell them to hang their heads in shame, the traitorous barstewards :whip:

......but the Reds have never won the Premier League.

Not much glory if following the RS these days, I think its interbreeding rather than gloryhunting

Yes but most of their fans in Ireland are people who are in their 30s, 40s and 50s now who started following them in the 60s, 70s and 80s when they were successful. This is where their massive support comes from, not so much lads who are on their 20s now although there are quite a few of them as well.

Now you Irish lids......be sure to let the RS buggers in Dublin, Cork and the Falls Road in Befast know this history and tell them to hang their heads in shame, the traitorous barstewards :whip:

You would not believe the amount of shoite I have had to take trying to make them aware of the history. They won't listen. Football began in the 1970s for these. Their don't even hate us as they save that for Utd which annoys the feck out of me. Patronising gits.

You would not believe the amount of shoite I have had to take trying to make them aware of the history. They won't listen. Football began in the 1970s for these. Their don't even hate us as they save that for Utd which annoys the feck out of me. Patronising gits.

I feel your pain, Ed.....:(

Fairly accurate representation that. In fact it would seem that the RS & Utd have much more than 50% judging by the people you meet. Most seem to be one or the other.

The meffs.

It's true, all my in-laws and their extended are RS, none have ever been to Anfield, although perversely two of them have been to Goodison with me. Even both her sisters fella's. They had this grand plan last season to finally make the trip, not to a game mind, but to see the open top bus parade the title, the look on their faces... it still tickles my bladder.

It was a mini Belfast or Glasgow here before the War, with Everton the Celtic to the RS Rangers.

So given all this, how did do many Irish Catholics take this abomination of a club to their hearts?

My pop (grandfather) told me of the times Amhran na bFiann was sung round the ground late teens / early twenties. finished work on the docks at 12, few throat relaxers and then to the footy. Had a Liverpudlian mate ... think it pretty much depended on which Saturday your missus wanted you to help with the shopping.

The chap who helped finance and arm the Ra 1916 - 22 lived in Bootle & was a keen Evertonian. (Michael Collins biography by Tim Pat Coogan.)

Yes but most of their fans in Ireland are people who are in their 30s, 40s and 50s now who started following them in the 60s, 70s and 80s when they were successful. This is where their massive support comes from, not so much lads who are on their 20s now although there are quite a few of them as well.
Lot of Standard Chartered rubbish around in the less celubrious areas of Metropolis

Lot of Standard Chartered rubbish around in the less celubrious areas of Metropolis

(1) Nobody guards the guardians. Especially Garda Siochana.

(2) Trouble is, it takes a bit of mental work. If you asked random bloke on Lime Street or O'Connel Street about about 1846 they'd look at you mental.

It's one of the things that iritates me about that "If you know your history" song .... very few do!

(1) Nobody guards the guardians. Especially Garda Siochana.

(2) Trouble is, it takes a bit of mental work. If you asked random bloke on Lime Street or O'Connel Street about about 1846 they'd look at you mental.

It's one of the things that iritates me about that "If you know your history" song .... very few do!
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes indeed my friend
The cops should round up the Standard Chartered slippy brigade and waterboard them all lol

Status
Not open for further replies.