Everton Youth Teams Thread

Sheriff is good, Lawrence definitely has a higher ceiling.

He does and I did say that, but it's just to acknowledge that Lawrence is not at a Rooney level as some have been suggesting. Theres a lad called Ebere in the same age who's also well thought of (scored 4 past Liverpool in a big win in a final).

In the year below theres a good forward too. Our under 17s-15s are pretty strong.

Lawrence may well have the highest ceiling, but there are other good players.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ElBobble
The Bobble
@ElBobble

Everton defender Lewis Gibson is now set to sign a new contract at the football club and will go immediately out on loan for the 2022/23 season. Whilst, Ryan Astley has now joined Accrington Stanley for the season, with the player already training full time with Accrington .

Not unexpected about Astley . I had high hopes for him when he first appeared as a 16 year old in our u23s, Wales captain etc. A stylish player, good composure and captain but sadly lacking that extra bit of physical stature needed.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ElBobble
The Bobble
@ElBobble

Everton defender Lewis Gibson is now set to sign a new contract at the football club and will go immediately out on loan for the 2022/23 season. Whilst, Ryan Astley has now joined Accrington Stanley for the season, with the player already training full time with Accrington .

Not unexpected about Astley . I had high hopes for him when he first appeared as a 16 year old in our u23s, Wales captain etc. A stylish player, good composure and captain but sadly lacking that extra bit of physical stature needed.
How old is Gibson? He seems to have been with Everton for years.

Just seen this on City forum regarding Lawrences move. Sounds like our future is bright

He ended up at Everton, but apparently the club from top to bottom is falling apart & he hates their workman-like style of football. He's finally come to his senses, so when offered a full pro contract by the Toffees he turned it down.

He does and I did say that, but it's just to acknowledge that Lawrence is not at a Rooney level as some have been suggesting. Theres a lad called Ebere in the same age who's also well thought of (scored 4 past Liverpool in a big win in a final).

In the year below theres a good forward too. Our under 17s-15s are pretty strong.

Lawrence may well have the highest ceiling, but there are other good players.

I really appreciate and respect your input Catcher, especially since it is clear you are able to watch our academy first hand. You help make this one of the more enjoyable threads on here. Understanding that very few players will ever be good enough to make it at Everton's level (even beyond just PL standard). Would you mind writing up which players (I know you don't name the ones that are too young) that you think have the ability to make an impact at the club and what kind of player they are?

Just seen this on City forum regarding Lawrences move. Sounds like our future is bright

He ended up at Everton, but apparently the club from top to bottom is falling apart & he hates their workman-like style of football. He's finally come to his senses, so when offered a full pro contract by the Toffees he turned it down.

16 years old and he already has his mind made up on the club from top to bottom, including the style of play? Sounds like he's had someone in his ear to me.

Well considering the whole set up has had an overhaul in the last 6 months that hopefully will no longer be the case, not that it even was up until unsworths team

Im assuming its the style of play he's being forced to train and play. Can imagine the whole City setup is similar to Pep's style. Maybe someone who watches us regularly can comment.
Yep , City are renowned for playing the same style throughout their Academy, last season their u18s and u23s won their respective leagues. They have great facilities, great coaches and support staff , and spend money on getting the best players. While we could do much better with our Academy we can’t compete with them , in the same way our first team can’t compete. They can attract the best young players who know they may not make their first team but also know they will have their game improved , making them very marketable to other clubs. Some suggest City are an ideal “ finishing school “ for youngsters.

…the £1m signing fee & £40k per week 3 year deal also helped.

…the £1m signing fee & £40k per week 3 year deal also helped.
No way has he got that.

To clarify the situation about us poaching him from City.

Players can go to all academies up to the age of 9 and then they have to commit, which Emilio did. He was playing for City, us, United and Liverpool between the ages of 5 & 9 although he got rid of the latter 2 quite quick and concentrated more so on us and City.

He was all set to sign for City but Martin Waldron managed to convince him to sign for us using some of the creative methods that the club used back then which he carried the can for.

He was the one Martin wanted out of all the kids in the north west and it was another signing he got spot on. I’ve seen posts playing down how good he is but he’ll be in the top 2 or 3 players at City as soon as he joins and he’d be the best u17 at United or Liverpool if he went to either of them now.

He’s no way Rooney, that’s just unrealistic but Emilio’s a very good, classy player. I don’t think he was ever going to stay here though. City have done to us what we did to them 8 years ago.

Thankfully we kept ISS as he was holding back signing also.

Well considering the whole set up has had an overhaul in the last 6 months that hopefully will no longer be the case, not that it even was up until unsworths team
He us only echoing what 3 or 4 of the youth team lads were saying to me a few months back.
No sure he was one of them as they were on the way to Manchester
Prior to Lampard, they said the club was a shambles behind the scenes, and the football under Unsworth wasn't enjoyable, to many favourites as well.
I said I had watched them and it looked like they were not expressing themselves much.
All agreed.
On a plus piont they said all said Tait was excellent and according to them was the only one holding it together at the time, behind the scenes.
Hopefully it's been turned around.

No way has he got that.

To clarify the situation about us poaching him from City.

Players can go to all academies up to the age of 9 and then they have to commit, which Emilio did. He was playing for City, us, United and Liverpool between the ages of 5 & 9 although he got rid of the latter 2 quite quick and concentrated more so on us and City.

He was all set to sign for City but Martin Waldron managed to convince him to sign for us using some of the creative methods that the club used back then which he carried the can for.

He was the one Martin wanted out of all the kids in the north west and it was another signing he got spot on. I’ve seen posts playing down how good he is but he’ll be in the top 2 or 3 players at City as soon as he joins and he’d be the best u17 at United or Liverpool if he went to either of them now.

He’s no way Rooney, that’s just unrealistic but Emilio’s a very good, classy player. I don’t think he was ever going to stay here though. City have done to us what we did to them 8 years ago.

Thankfully we kept ISS as he was holding back signing also.

A very fair update. He has a big reputation, but seeing him compared to Rooney just seemed too much for me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he wasnt absolutely nailed in some England age group squads recently?

I'm disappointed to lose him. On the face of it, youd hope the club could have given him what he wants, but you also have to factor in how likely he is to keep developing if he is only staying for the money? It can go both ways. Years ago Cadamateri got a big deal and then flat lined. It's a tough balancing act.

Objectively, I will maintain it's a bad deal, and the club can and should make that argument. Players need first team football, and we should be offering a lot more than what City can. As a club we have probably missed a trick over recent years in terms of progressing players though, which does finally seem to be changing.

It's not me being wise after the event, and there are limits watching the games, but Samuel Smith impressed me more than Lawrence for the under 18s this season. I'm more pleased we kept him,.but obviously would have been good to keep both.

Theres a lot of leakage from clubs academies these days. I know Liverpool lost their best prospect last season to United. Spurs and Chelsea have lost lots of players to going abroad. The priority for the club had to be to close those leeks. We faced pressure on Gordon, Dobbim etc but fortunately kept them. You hope more pathways to the 1st team will help, but who knows.

I really appreciate and respect your input Catcher, especially since it is clear you are able to watch our academy first hand. You help make this one of the more enjoyable threads on here. Understanding that very few players will ever be good enough to make it at Everton's level (even beyond just PL standard). Would you mind writing up which players (I know you don't name the ones that are too young) that you think have the ability to make an impact at the club and what kind of player they are?

Thanks very much mate, it's a great thread with lots of good contributors.

With the caveat being its hard to say. I think Dobbin will be one who makes it, and have felt that from when he was quite a young lad.

I like Whittaker, and would think he could be a player whos worth keeping an eye on.

Smith Samuel at left back is also very impressive.