Everton Youth Teams Thread

CALVERT-LEWIN AND LOOKMAN FIRE LIONS TO WIN OVER GERMANY

I'm not sure if this has been shown elsewhere , but I thought I'd dig this video up from late last year. Initial picture shows Lookman, Connolly and DCL celebrating . The video is worth a watch for Lookman's outside of the boot through ball to set up DCL to score ...... a taste of the future maybe. Cool finish by DCL for his second, Kenny playing too, so not bad 4 players on the pitch for England u20 now at Everton. Dowell was on subs bench.

Oops iPad not great for copying try again

http://www.thefa.com/news/2016/oct/07/u20s-germany-report-071016

Great find. What a pass from Lookman. Be nice for the kid to have familiar faces to help settle him in too.

Morgan Feeney training with the first team in this video

http://www.motdmag.com/news/view.php?Id=3250
Obviously highly thought of.

TWENTY 17 YEAR-OLDS!

482x282_Untitled-2.jpg

Watch these wonderkids flourish in 2017!

Everyday we'll be adding to this list of young ballers until we have TWENTY 17-year-old players to watch in 2017!

1 Morgan Feeney
EVERTON

Position: Centre-back

This imposing defender can be buoyed by the fact Everton like to blood youngsters at the back. He switched from Liverpool at the age of seven and Toffees U23 boss David Unsworth has already spoken of his potential – especially after making his debut in an 8-0 win!

He’s a young… John Stones!

2 Dylan Duncan
TOTTENHAM

Position: Midfield

Recognise the name? That’s because Dylan was called up to train with England’s FIRST TEAM prior to the recent international break. The midfielder has soared through the ranks since signing from Southend and is odds on for a pro debut before the year is out!

He’s a young… Fernandinho!

3 Brandon Cooper
SWANSEA

The Swans are in need of a new local hero – and this super fan could be the answer! Brandon captains Wales U17, regularly trains with Swansea's first team and, having first joined the club at six years old, 2017 could well be his year to shine!

He’s a young… Ashley Williams!

4 Joel Asoro
SUNDERLAND

Position: Forward

If German giants Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund are keeping tabs on a player, you know he’s got talent! A one-in-two strike rate for the U18s means this lad is already big news back home. Could Sweden have a new national hero on their hands?

He’s a young… Jermain Defoe!

5 Tahith Chong
MAN. UNITED

Position: Winger

No one batted an eyelid when United plucked this whizzkid from Feyenoord – but he’s set to be the next big thing at Old Trafford. With club legend Nicky Butt keen to promote academy stars, the shaggy-haired speedster might not be far off his first team debut!

He’s a young... Ryan Giggs!

TWENTY 17 YEAR-OLDS!

482x282_Untitled-2.jpg

Everyday we'll be adding to this list of young ballers until we have TWENTY 17-year-old players to watch in 2017!

1 Morgan Feeney
EVERTON

This imposing defender can be buoyed by the fact Everton like to blood youngsters at the back. He switched from Liverpool at the age of seven and Toffees U23 boss David Unsworth has already spoken of his potential – especially after making his debut in an 8-0 win!

2 Dylan Duncan
TOTTENHAM

Recognise the name? That’s because Dylan was called up to train with England’s FIRST TEAM prior to the recent international break. The midfielder has soared through the ranks since signing from Southend and is odds on for a pro debut before the year is out!

3 Brandon Cooper
SWANSEA

The Swans are in need of a new local hero – and this super fan could be the answer! Brandon captains Wales U17, regularly trains with Swansea's first team and, having first joined the club at six years old, 2017 could well be his year to shine!

4 Joel Asoro
SUNDERLAND

If German giants Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund are keeping tabs on a player, you know he’s got talent! A one-in-two strike rate for the U18s means this lad is already big news back home. Could Sweden have a new national hero on their hands?

5 Tahith Chong
MAN. UNITED

No one batted an eyelid when United plucked this whizzkid from Feyenoord – but he’s set to be the next big thing at Old Trafford. With club legend Nicky Butt keen to promote academy stars, the shaggy-haired speedster might not be far off his first team debut!

Nice endorsement but I really don't agree he's a young John Stones (if John Stones is old I now feel ancient). He's nowhere near as composed as him or Holgate but I'd argue he'll end up miles better defensively. I'm quite excited to see how Holgate ends up as well as possibly Foulds but Feeney is my biggest hope. Proper defender.

TWENTY 17 YEAR-OLDS!

482x282_Untitled-2.jpg

1 Morgan Feeney
EVERTON

2 Dylan Duncan
TOTTENHAM

3 Brandon Cooper
SWANSEA

4 Joel Asoro
SUNDERLAND

5 Tahith Chong
MAN. UNITED

The other day when we had the post with 5 players in the England 20s, I added Davies and Evans at U19, Galloway and Holgate at u21 then thought of Walsh for the final " England " team but he hasn't played for them for a while. Answer was obvious , Morgan Feeney England u18 captain at CB , Galloway to LB. Still only 17 and this time last year hadn't even appeared for England u16/17 now he's captain. I watched his early England games and was very impressed with the way he played alongside Chelsea's Trevor Chalobah. Chalobah was captain then , very physically imposing and has been moved up an age group, hence Feeney captain. I wouldn't say Feeney is imposing in a physical sense , he's got some bulking up and growing to do yet, but he does impose himself in the way he reads the game , positioning and no nonsense tackling. I'm sure he'll get more U23s game time once the loans have happened, a very bright prospect for us .

Nice endorsement but I really don't agree he's a young John Stones (if John Stones is old I now feel ancient). He's nowhere near as composed as him or Holgate but I'd argue he'll end up miles better defensively. I'm quite excited to see how Holgate ends up as well as possibly Foulds but Feeney is my biggest hope. Proper defender.

yeh nothing like stones, i think that motd magazine is aimed at 5-10 yr olds to be fair.

I know the coach at Bury who had Foulds with him, rates high very highly. Said he was disappointed he was being played at left back though, not sure how true that is.

Unsworth has shown he is very adept at developing young defenders. I can't remember who said a while back, but Everton are very good at producing a certain type of young player. Defensively minded, good technique, team players etc. Feeney kind of fits the bill.

Feeney in style is very different to Stones though, and indeed Holgate when he played for the reserves (Holgate himself was quite reminiscent of Stones). He is a proper defender and Unsworth rightly compares him to Dave Watson. He positions himself well, is brave and can time tackles and interceptions well. When he first played as a 16 year old at Centre Back he looked a slight lad and struggled with the physicality but you could see the basics were there.

As for the Walsh V Davies debate that has gone on, it is an interesting one. In his own age group there is no doubt that Walsh was considered well ahead of Davies. However what Davies has done is adapted to first team football very easily and it is to be seen whether Walsh can do that. It should also be noted the physique of Davies will help him over and above Walsh.

Have read and heard about Asoro a couple of times now, saw him in our U21s national team in the Portugal and the kid is lightning quick and quite strong. Not surprised hearing Bayern and Borussia links but he's nowhere near ready for that step.

...20 years of age now. Just saying. Lookman is 19 and has already been a regular in league football for over a season. It puts it in a bit of perspective.

..I agree. It's tough for them because they just get overtaken in the queue. Just watching Cardiff/Fulham earlier where 16 year old Sessignon scored for Fulham. I fear if it hasn't happened for these lads at Everton by the time they are 20 it'll be really difficult for them to breakthrough.

Yep, I think there's only ever been Osman who made it at Everton past 20 years of age and he had 2 long term loans as well.

It's just the way of football isn't it, your either the next big thing aged 16-19 or your deemed not ready for the big league and have to drop down a few divisions and work your way up.

It's always going to be more difficult for kids to make that jump at our (and other top flight) club. Lookman's been playing in League 1. I'm sure if any of our top U23/18s were at a club in that league then they would be playing regularly too. Ofcourse any breakthrough may have to come at a lower level anyway, but it would still be a breakthrough.

#EFCU23 XI to play Rochdale (1pm k/o): Hunt, Kinsella, Yarney, Feeney, Bainbridge, Baningime, Broadhead, Henen, McAleny, Evans, Duffus.

few lads starting who arent usually involved. shop window for banbridge, broadhead, yarney etc to maybe get a loan or permanent move

Posted this in the transfer thread, any thoughts ?

http://www.nottinghampost.com/fores...outh-cup-tie/story-30047977-detail/story.html

Forest striker Ben Brereton watched by Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City and Man United in Youth Cup tie
15790885-large.jpg

Senior scouts from the Premier League's biggest clubs were at Nottingham Forest's FA Youth Cup tie at Stoke City with Ben Brereton the player they were most likely there to watch. Afterwards, Under-18s coach Gareth Holmes said the talented striker is on course for big things.

Arsenal sent ex-Reading boss Brian McDermott, while Liverpool dispatched former Nottingham Forest Academy director Nick Marshall.

Scouts from Chelsea, Everton, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham were also there, it is fair to suggest, with the name Ben Brereton at the top of their list to watch.

In fact staff from ten Premier League clubs were at the bet365 Stadium on Tuesday to watch Nottingham Forest take on Stoke in the FA Youth Cup fourth round, the others being Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Southampton and champions Leicester City.

Everton actually sent three people to the game and Arsenal two, while the England Under-18 head coach Neil Dewsnip and head of talent identification Richard Allen watched from the stands.

Brereton is hot property with United and Liverpool expressing an interest in the 17-year-old striker, who has scored 15 goals in 20 Under-23 games this season.

On the face of it, the teenager was totally overshadowed in a battle of two highly rated strikers, with Stoke's Tyrese Campbell, the son of former Reds striker Kevin Campbell, netting a hat-trick in a 4-1 win for the hosts.

Brereton was booked for diving and missed two chances, one of which was his own making, but tellingly he ran himself into the ground as a lone striker playing in a lost cause for the last 20 minutes, when Forest were out of the game and down to 10 men.

Tyrese Campbell (left) scored a hat-trick for Stoke

Afterwards, Forest Under-18s coach Gareth Holmes offered strong praise for Brereton, saying his style of play is increasingly rare, especially for someone who can back up his game with goals.

"Ben is tremendous. Look at his performance. He never wavered in his application," he told the Post.

"He is a striker who is very rare. He scores goals and is ruthless, but he has an empathy for the team.

"He wants to work for the team. In the national game right now that type of striker is rare.

"He's got a lot of work to do but he's getting there. He shows potential with his movement, with his intelligence, application and goals.

"He's ticking a lot of boxes. This defeat will disappoint him, but he'll play in bigger games than this."

Brereton is already talked of in the multi-million pound bracket even though he is yet to play for the first team.

He recently earned a new contract that is yet to be ratified by the authorities, although Forest see this as a formality.

That deal will only increase the value of a player the club see as having the potential to be better than Oliver Burke, who was controversially sold to Red Bull Leipzig at the end of the last transfer window.

Offers are almost certain to come in for Brereton, meaning if John Jay Moores wants to keep one of the club's prized assets, he will have to return to his baseball roots and bat away wealthy suitors, should his takeover go through as expected.

As Holmes says, Brereton will play in bigger games than Tuesday's, when scouts almost outnumbered fans. But where will he play them?

Holmes pauses slightly at the kind of question managers aren't a fan of.

'For Nottingham Forest first hopefully' is the reply. Let's hope he is right.

#EFCU23 XI to play Rochdale (1pm k/o): Hunt, Kinsella, Yarney, Feeney, Bainbridge, Baningime, Broadhead, Henen, McAleny, Evans, Duffus.

few lads starting who arent usually involved. shop window for banbridge, broadhead, yarney etc to maybe get a loan or permanent move
What an odd team, 3 centre backs, Baningime as a DFM, the rest are attacking midfielders or strikers, you've got to admire Unsy pulling that lot together, as you say it looks like he's giving a chance to "shop window" a number who haven't usually been involved. I really hope we don't get rid of Broadhead until we are confident he won't make it. Last I heard of Steven Kinsella we'd loaned him out to St Patrick in Ireland , obviously back now.

What an odd team, 3 centre backs, Baningime as a DFM, the rest are attacking midfielders or strikers, you've got to admire Unsy pulling that lot together, as you say it looks like he's giving a chance to "shop window" a number who haven't usually been involved. I really hope we don't get rid of Broadhead until we are confident he won't make it. Last I heard of Steven Kinsella we'd loaned him out to St Patrick in Ireland , obviously back now.

You look at Woodburn across the Park. he played in the same game as Broadhead for Wales against England and it was Broadhead who stood out. It's an odd one though, as youth teams are filled with lads who stand out in their own age but can't make the transition. Also it may have been Broadhead just had the game of his life. However it's odd he hasn't had more game time given his record.

Unsworth's comments about the under 23's were very telling, and ruthless (especially so given his generally positive demeanour) recently in the Echo. Almost word for word said the lads who can't get into the team need to leave because at "whatever level they can get". If he's saying that publically I can only imagine what he is saying and thinking privately.

I also remember he rotated a while back and they lost 2-1. It wasn't a bad defeat (may have been Hertha Berlin) and we gave away the lead. He was damming in his criticism, and again said almost word for word that some of the fringe players had a chance to prove they were good enough and had failed. He said something similar last year after a home draw, when lots of scouts were watching, around August time. The only 2 times I've heard him say anything negative after a game.

Considering it was a narrow defeat against Berlin it was quite surprising, but also made me think that Unsworth may well have what it takes to manage higher up. He clearly holds to very high standards and he's instilling a work ethic and expectancy of winning on the young players.

I have digressed slightly off Broadhead. Unfortunately he finds himself in the group Unsworth referred too. There is a backlog in the under 23's currently and it's difficult to see a lot of these players being kept on too much longer.