Everton Youth Teams Thread

I mean personally I'd sell Astley and John, possibly one more season for Hughes here.

If we got offers I would agree however both John and Astley got extensions so I'm guessing there is some plan. I just hope the don't follow the Connolly/Pennington route of constant loans. If we send them out this season and they don't do it we know they aren't making it here but they might do enough to attract potential suitors. No one learns anything if they stay. Hughes only has this season left so I imagine you are right.

If we got offers I would agree however both John and Astley got extensions so I'm guessing there is some plan. I just hope the don't follow the Connolly/Pennington route of constant loans. If we send them out this season and they don't do it we know they aren't making it here but they might do enough to attract potential suitors. No one learns anything if they stay. Hughes only has this season left so I imagine you are right.

None will make it here anyway that's a given.

Highlights up on Carlisle site.
Cannon and dobbin/Campbell with our goals (hard to see which of them got final touch, think it was Campbell).

Winning Carlisle goal was a great strike

As above - Everton u23s Highlights

United hosted the Everton side U23 behind-closed-doors on Tuesday afternoon at Brunton Park.

The game started at a bright pace with United on the front foot as they earned an early corner. Guy picked out Hayden from the delivery but his 12-yard header flashed past the post.

It was the Toffees who drew first blood when they broke at pace down the right. The initial delivery was cleared but the rebound was swept into the roof of the net.

Good work from Joe Riley brought the keeper off the line to punch as it dropped into a dangerous area. Mellish kept it alive but it was cleared after an almighty scramble.

Carlisle stayed forward and another teasing corner from Guy found Hayden pulling into a gap at the back stick. He shielded it, before picking out Alessandra on the edge of the area. The keeper was beaten with a low curler but it was just an inch off target.

The passes started to find their mark for the home side and Riley and Mellish used Armer to work a quick route forward. Guy showed for it and his long range thunderbolt needed to be gathered up.

Zach Clough then took charge of a 23-yard free kick and the rooted stopper was relieved to see it smash back off the post.

Cumbrian pressure was finally made to tell on 20 minutes when Abrahams stretched to execute a wonderful cross. Clough volleyed with power, but it struck the bar and bounced away from the six-yard box. Jon Mellish was alert and composed as he got onto the end of it to guide it over the line.

The game became tight ahead of the break, with chances at a premium, but David Unsworth's young team were almost back in front at the start of the second period when a looped cross evaded Norman. It hit the inside of the post and Armer helped it on its way.

Alessandra and Tanner linked up as United got going again, but a timely clearance prevented Clough from stabbing it home.

Guy then connected with another fierce effort from distance, but the keeper dropped low to pick it up.

A deflected 19-yard free kick skimmed past the Carlisle nets, but the home side were undone from the resulting corner as it pinged around unhindered by a blue shirt inside the area. It was eventually bundled over the line.

Carlisle started to reassert themselves and an Alessandra snapshot needed a deflection to make things easy for the wrong-footed glovesman.

The equaliser came after Charters and Toure surged forward at pace, and Lewis Bell was with them in acres of space. Bearing down on the goal he unleashed a drive which touched a thigh and whistled over the line.

Moments later and there was a collective 'wow' when Manny Mampala had just one thing in mind. He dropped a shoulder and scored a stunner as he beat his man before bending his shot into the top corner.

Who's the lad with the naughty tash? Number 18. I thought at first Mallon but now I'm not sure. Garcia with a new barnet?

Also didn't see Iversen in the end it was just an Astley sideways on lol

Last edited:
Who's the lad with the naughty tash? Number 18. I thought at first Mallon but now I'm not sure.

Also didn't see Iversen in the end it was just an Astley sideways on lol
1627417304114.jpeg

This one?

either Mackenzie Hunt? or possibly Rafael Garcia with his hair chopped ?

Think it's Hunt from that angle. God these kids need names on their shirts.

You'd think with the younger crop of players coming through he'd be one that might not get much game time this season, don't think he played a lot back end of last season, maybe given game time to impress scouts

When you think back about the discussions we used to have about Unsworth 3 years or so ago there really has been a transformation. Changes inevitably take a while to work their way through, hopefully a few of this crop do become standouts, but as Unsworth says it’s up to them : “They need to stand out at Under-23 level to then be able to stand out to the new manager and his staff.”

Aside from the ages seemingly coming down, what transformation are you seeing?

Job advert out for the new Head of Academy recruitment.

Replacement for the guy we spend ages getting from Derby who has now left after a few months.

Slightly concerned that every external hire into the academy has left after a few months.

That's absolutely mad. He was very respected for his work at Derby.

Do you think there are people in position who are resistant to new people making changes?