Everton Youth Teams Thread

....others will know the ages of these lads more than me, but I know a number played in the recent Youth Cup game so I imagine there’s a few U18s on display tonight. It is a big step-up to playing with and against your elders, not to mention a different coach etc.

I really like Welch at CB. It was some achievement to keep City & Chelsea at bay in the Youth Cup and my attention was immediately focused on the defenders. Automatically, watchers will look at midfielders & strikers for the next Wayne Rooney but there was high quality and heroic defending in that FA Youth Cup run.

i don’t know if we have a future player on show but I wouldn’t totally dismiss it.
Re your “ I imagine there’s a few u18S on display tonight” it’s easier to do it the other way around mate - of the squad of 16 only four, Tyrer, John, Anderson and Hughes are not u18S, including the two schoolboys who came on!
Welch has had a fine season at both levels .

Re your “ I imagine there’s a few u18S on display tonight” it’s easier to do it the other way around mate - of the squad of 16 only four, Tyrer, John, Anderson and Hughes are not u18S, including the two schoolboys who came on!
Welch has had a fine season at both levels .

...I just know from my own years with a club, it is a difficult age group transition from a quality and attitude perspective. It shouldn’t be underestimated.

I agree with you about Welch.

Last edited:
Finished the season with the best defensive record in the league (City only one even close) despite changing the back 4 in nearly every game.
Says a lot about how well unsworth gets them organised.
Hopefully next season we can get closer to matching city's record at the other end(79 goals!) as well.

One of the most interesting things about this season is the quality of the players in positions that we have been lacking. I agree with the comments above about Welch being an exciting prospect. And we have, as almost always, some very workmanlike midfielders. But I thought the quality of the youth keepers has taken a massive step up - Leban being especially impressive - and we seem to be stacked at attacking full backs (Mallon also making an excellent impression when he featured).

Still dubious about the forwards, but that's possibly the toughest role for anyone to make a breakthrough from an academy.

And finally, because they do get a lot of stick, some of it well-deserved, well done to the club video department for the live cup and league games. It sounds from the commentary like they had good viewing figures so hopefully it is something they will continue with.

David Unsworth saluted Charlie Whitaker’s “fantastic all-round performance” after the teenage forward hit a hat-trick in Everton Under-23s’ thumping 4-0 win over Southampton on Friday night.

The young Blues rounded off the 2020/21 campaign in style at Southport FC’s Pure Stadium, with centre-back Reece Hughes also on the scoresheet. The 17-year-old’s strike represented his first goal at Under-23s level.

The victory comes hot on the heels of a 5-0 success away at the Saints last time out and means the young Blues are assured of a top-six Premier League 2 finish. The Toffees will finish fifth in the table if Manchester United fail to beat Derby County on Monday night.

Manager Unsworth paid tribute to an impressive collective display from his youthful side – which featured seven players aged 18 or under – and gave special praise to Whitaker, 17, who has now struck five goals in just five appearances at Under-23 level.

“Since Charlie’s come into the team, he’s been fantastic,” Unsworth told evertonfc.com.

“Not just his goals but his all-round play. I’m really looking forward to working with him in the next campaign, starting from when we come back for pre-season.

“We spoke [before kick-off] about how we wanted to approach the game – making sure we are remembering a good performance through the summer and at the start of pre-season.

“And the lads were fantastic, absolutely terrific. We played some great stuff and scored some very good goals.

“It was a very good team performance.”

Everton got off to a flying start and hit the front after just eight minutes when Whitaker fired a pinpoint effort into the bottom corner from the edge of the area.

The Toffees continued to control proceedings and doubled their lead midway through the first half when Welch tapped home from close range after Lewis Warrington’s cross deflected into his path.

Everton made it 3-0 eight minutes after the break when Whitaker powered a header past Saints goalkeeper Jack Bycroft from Rhys Hughes’ inviting corner delivery.

And Whitaker capped a memorable evening when he squeezed a shot under Bycroft two minutes from time to complete his hat-trick and a convincing Toffees victory.

“We’re delighted with how we’ve finished the season – we’ve finished really strongly,” added Unsworth.

“That’s all you can ask. And all the credit goes to the players.”

He hasn’t had many mentions , but I’ve been quietly impressed with Joe Anderson in recent games. He’s a better centre back than left back and has shown this since Astley’s injury allowed him to play there. His distribution has always been good , pinging balls forward from the back and his pass that put Charlie Whitaker through for the last goal was inch perfect. It’s hard to see him being able to hold off our up and coming young centre backs let alone challenge for the first team squad , but he looks like he can give it a good go at a lower League level. We await to see if he signs the one year contract offered him, there’s certainly a role as senior CB if Astley goes on loan and Ouzounidis departs.

....others will know the ages of these lads more than me, but I know a number played in the recent Youth Cup game so I imagine there’s a few U18s on display tonight. It is a big step-up to playing with and against your elders, not to mention a different coach etc.

I really like Welch at CB. It was some achievement to keep City & Chelsea at bay in the Youth Cup and my attention was immediately focused on the defenders. Automatically, watchers will look at midfielders & strikers for the next Wayne Rooney but there was high quality and heroic defending in that FA Youth Cup run.

i don’t know if we have a future player on show but I wouldn’t totally dismiss it.

It was a perfectly fair comment to have made, and I know I ahve covered this before but I think people probably underrate the aforementioned age group. Davies has made it to the 1st team, Ledson has just been given POTY for Preston, Dowell will be in the premiership next season, Robinson has showed hismelf an accomplished PL level left back and Kenny has played a number of games in the PL/Bundesliga. That's before you mentioend Joe WIlliams, Callum Connolly and Liam Walsh who have all had a good go in the championship. Unfortunately for that age group, they turned 18 at just the time when Moshiri arrived, the manager was sacked, the DOF was brought in and sacked and turbelence occured. You probably had another 3 or 4, who if things had gone diddrently may have made the 1st team with an Everton without Moshiri's millions.

This current age group are doing things that age group didn't either. To go to City and Chelsea and win, is as big a statement as you can make at that level. We lost to West Brom in a tight match missing key players. The exposure they are getting in the reserves is also slightly beyond what Ledson's age had, and in truth they are probably excelling a bit more.

Welch is one who has really kicked on for me, and you probably see the benefit of not only under 23's action but also 1st team training. In that under 18's match at Wigan he looked Van Dijk esque in his age group. Quick, powerful, calm, composed etc. We've spoken a bit about Small, Price and Onyango before so won't dwell on those.

The other one I didn't mention who probably deserves a bit of a mention is Whittaker. He is flying through the age groups very quickly, which I always think is a very positive sign. He had a couple of games to find his feet at under 23 level, and then he is excelling. That is what you want to see.

He reminds me a little bit of Anthony Gordon, maybe a bit more rugged though not quite as quick. I had pinpointed in that City game, where he outjumped a CB for our goal, he has an excellent spring. You saw it again for his 2nd goal yesterday off a corner. He attacks the ball really well. He's another I like.

In terms of the stand out player, the name everyone talks about is Lawrence in the under 15's. The size and power of Ebere in the 15's is impressive, but Lawrence is that player that gets spoken about.

It was a perfectly fair comment to have made, and I know I ahve covered this before but I think people probably underrate the aforementioned age group. Davies has made it to the 1st team, Ledson has just been given POTY for Preston, Dowell will be in the premiership next season, Robinson has showed hismelf an accomplished PL level left back and Kenny has played a number of games in the PL/Bundesliga. That's before you mentioend Joe WIlliams, Callum Connolly and Liam Walsh who have all had a good go in the championship. Unfortunately for that age group, they turned 18 at just the time when Moshiri arrived, the manager was sacked, the DOF was brought in and sacked and turbelence occured. You probably had another 3 or 4, who if things had gone diddrently may have made the 1st team with an Everton without Moshiri's millions.

This current age group are doing things that age group didn't either. To go to City and Chelsea and win, is as big a statement as you can make at that level. We lost to West Brom in a tight match missing key players. The exposure they are getting in the reserves is also slightly beyond what Ledson's age had, and in truth they are probably excelling a bit more.

Welch is one who has really kicked on for me, and you probably see the benefit of not only under 23's action but also 1st team training. In that under 18's match at Wigan he looked Van Dijk esque in his age group. Quick, powerful, calm, composed etc. We've spoken a bit about Small, Price and Onyango before so won't dwell on those.

The other one I didn't mention who probably deserves a bit of a mention is Whittaker. He is flying through the age groups very quickly, which I always think is a very positive sign. He had a couple of games to find his feet at under 23 level, and then he is excelling. That is what you want to see.

He reminds me a little bit of Anthony Gordon, maybe a bit more rugged though not quite as quick. I had pinpointed in that City game, where he outjumped a CB for our goal, he has an excellent spring. You saw it again for his 2nd goal yesterday off a corner. He attacks the ball really well. He's another I like.

In terms of the stand out player, the name everyone talks about is Lawrence in the under 15's. The size and power of Ebere in the 15's is impressive, but Lawrence is that player that gets spoken about.
The u23s squad for next year looks really strong add injured players like Dobbin ,price, kouyate .Welch and price just look like classy footballers and i have also liked what I see in Metcalfe who seems to have be very comfortable with both feet

6th placed Everton u18s will go 5th with a win and that is were they will end the season with one more game left,when they play bottom placed Sunderland u18s at home with a 12.30 ko

Everton u18s Team

Leban, Mallon, Kristensen, Campbell, Thompson, McAllister, Metcalfe, Quintyne, Baker, Jagne, Lawrence,
Subs Stewart, Hagan, Safa Manafa, Higgins, Ebere

Really excited about the current crop of youngsters coming through ,I wonder if we are seeing the influence of brands finally coming through regarding the ages of the players at u18s and u23s

Possibly. We do see a lot of articles surround academy changes and it has been noticeable since he came in; we're also more ruthless now in who we keep on/let go. He's had his hands tied with the transfer ban and now even more so with the Brexit rules but it's a step forward.