Premier league International Group D

Swansea 4 points from 2 Games
PSV 2 points from 2 games
Everton 1 point from 1 game
Porto 0 points from 1 Game

Next 2 Everton Games this comp both 7pm and at southport

Everton v Swansea 26th november
Everton v Porto 20th December

NEXT EVERTON U23S League game is this saturday away to Liverpool with a 2pm ko and its not live unless Everton go and show it

David Unsworth insisted his players were unlucky after conceding a stoppage-time equaliser against PSV Eindhoven at Southport FC on Tuesday night.

Everton led from early on in the Premier League International Cup clash, with the in-form Anthony Gordon on target 11 minutes in.

But a 94th minute leveller earned the visitors a 1-1 draw.

“I didn’t think we deserved that after our hard work,” said Under-23s boss Unsworth.

“Our pressing at times was fantastic and it’s something we’ve worked on in training. We maybe just needed to be a bit more savvy and see the game out and not put ourselves under pressure to concede the corner.

“But we’d lost our last two games so that little run has stopped. I was happy with the application and the work-rate tonight. We were unlucky not to win but they looked a good team, too, in the second-half when they had a bit more of the ball.”

The Everton goal was a splendid one. Tyler Onyango showed good aggression to win the ball and his perfectly-placed pass behind the full-back was picked up by Dennis Adeniran, who pulled it back nicely across goal for Gordon to finish.

“Again, that’s something we’ve worked on,” said Unsworth. “It was great pressing, great overlapping and a good finish from Anthony.”

PSV had the odd moment in the first-half with Chukwunonso Madueke their main threat but by and large Harry Tyrer was unworried.

At the other end, goalscorer Gordon threatened whenever he got some decent possession wide on the left, but Everton were unable to utilise him regularly enough.

The best effort in the opening 45 from the Dutch came, predictably, from Madueke who wriggled free and forced Tyrer into a fine save with a snapshot from the edge of the box.

PSV came close to equalising on 57 minutes when Madueke, again, fired a shot on the run narrowly wide.

Gordon couldn’t impose himself on the game quite as much in the second half but Ellis Simms did. First, he spun cleverly inside the box and forced Lars Unnerstall into a smart save and then he collected a pass from Gordon before rifling an effort just too high.

With 15 minutes left, skipper Morgan Feeney headed the ball across goal from a corner but there was no blue shirt there to apply the finishing touch.

The Blues appeared to have done enough until that late, late blow. PSV goalkeeper Lars Unnerstall ventured forward for the stoppage-time corner and when he won the ball in the box, Maxime Soulas was on hand to force it over the line.

It was cruel on Everton but there were plenty of positives to glean from the game – not least of which was an assured midfield performance from 16-year old Tyler Onyango.

“I thought he was absolutely terrific,” said Unsworth.

“He’s someone who was on our radar, but we thought it may be January before he stepped up.

“But his performances with the Under-18s have been that good and his energy, pressing and regaining of the ball are phenomenal.

“He looks a really good player and he’s benefitting from playing alongside Beni [Baningime]. Beni at times again was the best player on the pitch tonight.”

Reading the various match reports and watching the highlights , two things emerged for me , apart from the reinforcement of Gordon’s talent.
Ellis Simms is developing nicely, the reports talk about his much improved hold up play, you can see he’s continuing to use his pace and strength to get into shooting positions , and he’s looking much more comfortable at this level than in the few games he had at the end of last season. He’s a great credit to the U23s and u18s coaches who have developed someone who 18 months ago was a very raw youngster.

The second one was Tyler Onyango, the first of the current new intake of Scholars to start at U23s level, ahead of highly rated Lewis Dobbin. Apparently he was started as a 10 but played more as a box to box 8 , and you can see in the snipit leading to Gordon’s goal he uses his strength to win the ball and put Adeniran away for the assist. He looks like he’ll be about 6 foot 4 when he stops growing but shows none of the awkward gangliness you might expect of a youngster his height. We have a crowded mid field at this level, but hopefully he’ll continue to get game time , would love to see him in a midfield 3 with Gordon, Simms, Dobbin in a front 3 ahead of him.

Reading the various match reports and watching the highlights , two things emerged for me , apart from the reinforcement of Gordon’s talent.
Ellis Simms is developing nicely, the reports talk about his much improved hold up play, you can see he’s continuing to use his pace and strength to get into shooting positions , and he’s looking much more comfortable at this level than in the few games he had at the end of last season. He’s a great credit to the U23s and u18s coaches who have developed someone who 18 months ago was a very raw youngster.

The second one was Tyler Onyango, the first of the current new intake of Scholars to start at U23s level, ahead of highly rated Lewis Dobbin. Apparently he was started as a 10 but played more as a box to box 8 , and you can see in the snipit leading to Gordon’s goal he uses his strength to win the ball and put Adeniran away for the assist. He looks like he’ll be about 6 foot 4 when he stops growing but shows none of the awkward gangliness you might expect of a youngster his height. We have a crowded mid field at this level, but hopefully he’ll continue to get game time , would love to see him in a midfield 3 with Gordon, Simms, Dobbin in a front 3 ahead of him.
Yesyou’vepointed out two good prospects there, Inworried about Ellis Simms not using his strength but he has shown he is not afraid to use it this season against players older than him, hope he continues this improvement, Tyler was a new name to me, noticed him early this season, I’m amazed he is only sixteen, looks like he could be a whopper of a player, I’m aware not to go overboard about young players but with his size ( and still growing) and ability I’m keeping my fingers crossed over this lad.

Yesyou’vepointed out two good prospects there, Inworried about Ellis Simms not using his strength but he has shown he is not afraid to use it this season against players older than him, hope he continues this improvement, Tyler was a new name to me, noticed him early this season, I’m amazed he is only sixteen, looks like he could be a whopper of a player, I’m aware not to go overboard about young players but with his size ( and still growing) and ability I’m keeping my fingers crossed over this lad.
Well it was really in the context of last night’s game, I along with others have been pointing out Onyango for some time as he played U18 and for England last season, and of course Simms was well discussed last season.
Unless you see these kids playing and training regularly, which most of us can’t, you have to form an opinion on a number of different criteria. None are infallible, but 3 I regularly use are 1) Is he playing up early e.g u18 when a Schoolboy, U23s when u18.? 2) Is he being selected at age group levels for his country? 3) Does he look like developing the physicality / speed etc to make it at an older level?
Onyango fits those three, as does Dobbin and Reece Welch of the current crop. Last season it was Astley who fitted the criteria, and Gordon completed the final part of developing physically. Simms arguably didn’t really meet the first two but is a developing all the time, so as I say doesn’t always work. Some like Feeney met the first two criteria but he’s never seemed to develop physically and has slipped back at international level. Like you I wouldn’t go overboard on any young player as so much can happen, but at times these kids give me more pleasure than say watching the first half of the first teams performance against Watford!

...I actually thought it was Adeniran who won the ball. That’s impressive from Onyango, great strength and ability for somebody so young, thanks for highlighting. Onyango is certainly one to watch.

6th Placed Everton u23s down a few placed based on tonights scores,will be hoping to move closer to the the current Leaders Derby who have just drew 2-2 after been 2 down home to wolves,same player scored a pen,then missed a 91st minute pen over the bar,before they did score on 96 with last touch, Everton u23s off course play away in the u23s mersey Derby tomorrow at 2pm,Game is NOT live on LFC and doubt Everton will show it, Everton are 8 points off top but have 2 games in hand

Anthony Gordon interview on the Derby etc