Everton Vs Reading - 01/03/11 - 7.30pm KO

Status
Not open for further replies.
News to me.

Me too 11 games to go and several million £'s to play for in league placement money- I'd say there's a little bit to play for - especially as we seem to have 1 or 2 players looking to support Bainsey, Felli, & Distin by coming into their best form at the right time. There's a lot of football to be played and whilst it would be fantastic to be in contention for the league goblet, there's many individual player & team challenges to possibly be realised in the coming weeks. I'm not happy finishing 10/11th & I'm sure DM & the players won't be either now, knowing performances have improved since Bolton and they appear to have a bit of self-belief back

On to the game- Neville I think will find it difficult to play 2 games in 3 days, but as Dom rightly says Seamus needs a rest, but Mikel has to play with Felli out- he may give Louis half a game as we need him fresh for Newcastle, Cahill not fit to start according to DM, if Rodders is showing no ill effects from his 50 or so minutes ,put him in the middle with Mikel, Hibbo right back & bring Billy & Anichebe in on the wings. So 3 or 4 changes to Saturdays starting 11 will see us right on the night. COYB

Is it right that if this ends in a draw the game against Brum the following week gets moved?

If so, please please dont draw Everton, dont lose either like but dont draw. :D

Can't believe people are talking about putting out a second string. Our season in the league is over, this is our most important game left.

I'd even go so far as to say the best thing about our performance yesterday, was it means we're in good form coming into this one. Same team as yesterday for me, except with Rodders for Fellaini and maybe Bily for Osman.

If we win our game in hand against Brum we are 3 points behind the shi!e who sit in 6th so we still have a good shout of a europa league place

I think if Arsenal win today another place becomes avalible to

Me too 11 games to go and several million £'s to play for in league placement money- I'd say there's a little bit to play for - especially as we seem to have 1 or 2 players looking to support Bainsey, Felli, & Distin by coming into their best form at the right time. There's a lot of football to be played and whilst it would be fantastic to be in contention for the league goblet, there's many individual player & team challenges to possibly be realised in the coming weeks. I'm not happy finishing 10/11th & I'm sure DM & the players won't be either now, knowing performances have improved since Bolton and they appear to have a bit of self-belief back

We could finish 8th again rather than 13th, you mean. Fecking A, that.

Anyone who prioritises winning league games when a 100% record from now on would still probably only get us 6th is someone I don't understand. We have a real chance of winning the damn cup and that has to be our priority. As long as we don't get relegated, our league position doesn't matter.

Which doesn't mean I don't enjoy us playing well and winning even in dead rubbers, of course I do, but playing a second string in the cup to save ourselves for the push for 8th is another thing entirely.

Anyone who prioritises winning league games when a 100% record from now on would still probably only get us 6th is someone I don't understand. We have a real chance of winning the damn cup and that has to be our priority. As long as we don't get relegated, our league position doesn't matter.

Which doesn't mean I don't enjoy us playing well and winning even in dead rubbers, of course I do, but playing a second string in the cup to save ourselves for the push for 8th is another thing entirely.

you say 6th like thats beneth us mate i think you need to have a bit of a reality check, i would love us to finish 6th and get a europa league place

you say 6th like thats beneth us mate i think you need to have a bit of a reality check, i would love us to finish 6th and get a europa league place

If we win the next 11 league games, against premier league opposition, we'll finish 6th and get into europe. Great I would love that.

If we win the next 4 cup games, one of which is against championship level opposition, we'll win the cup and get into europe and have our first trophy in more than 15 years. I would love that a bit more.

I'm not saying that 6th is beneath us at all. I'm saying that's the very best we can hope for, I doubt we'll finish above 8th myself, and it's still not as good as winning the cup.

Our priority should be clear, the league's gone man, just admit it.

There is no need for a second string mate though as I said- 2 enforced changes I feel in Nev & Felli & Seamus likely should be rested - this is about getting the best out of the squad for both the cup game & the next league game both of equal importance imo. Our league position matters to a great many fans & the club's balance sheet alike considering our total turnover is likely to be down- there is over £5.5 million difference between 8th & 14th place thats for example or an Arteta & Coleman per year in wages if you like. We've got every chance of winning the cup on our Spurs & Chelsea form so it is important enough to play our strongest side possible that won't put 1 or 2 players match fitness at stake for the following game.

If we win the next 11 league games, against premier league opposition, we'll finish 6th and get into europe. Great I would love that.

If we win the next 4 cup games, one of which is against championship level opposition, we'll win the cup and get into europe and have our first trophy in more than 15 years. I would love that a bit more.

I'm not saying that 6th is beneath us at all. I'm saying that's the very best we can hope for, I doubt we'll finish above 8th myself, and it's still not as good as winning the cup.

Our priority should be clear, the league's gone man, just admit it.

No just checked lad its still there

Got to agree mate- such a finish is a tall order but not beyond us- as I said above I wish to keep the faith that we won't be looking down the barrel of a gun considering the futures of players like Mikel & Coleman for the sake of not putting enough focus on the league run in, regardless of who else might leave anyway. We may very well not finish as high as a 6th or an 8th but if the wills not there either from DM's point of view it could ultimately affect our confidence if we did make it to the final. Winning breeds confidence- we've got enough in the squad to put the effort in on both fronts imo.

I look at the teams above us that are within our reach Newcastle,Sunderland,Bolton and the Shi1e and i honestly think that we can get that 6th place,it all ifs and buts though after every half decent display this season i have thought this is the turning point and its gone tits up again

keeping Saha and Becks fit for the next 3 months is key for me

Watched these yesterday at Selhurst and earlier in the season at theirs. They are a (Championship level) mix of decent players (Kebe, Long) , journeymen and kids. Their management team is getting the best out of what they have but frankly the table doesn't lie, they are not genuine promotion contenders. (Their run in is one of the easiest however, and it is possible for them to scrape sixth.)
Kebe is very quick and direct and Baines's ability to get forward may well be hampered by the need not to give him too much space. A lot of their creative play in the centre is controlled and prompted by Leigerwood who is on loan from QPR. He is ex Palace and has improved beyond recognition at Reading, good passer, puts in a shift and breaks up the opposition play.
Do not, under any circumstances wave your hanky at Long as he goes by, particularly near the box, I don't want to use the "D" word but I understand you can buy snorkels and flippers in Reading colours with his name on them in their club shop. He has been the beneficiary of three such decisions against us alone this season. You have been warned. None of that detracts from the fact that he is a very decent player and could hold his own comfortably at Premier League level. They will be up for it, and given the chance, can play.They pass rather than hoof and sending out a second string against these is not advisable. Only my opinion.Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.