Match Thread Everton v Watford - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's on Benitez though.

A body in midfield was all that was needed.

You need to be able to control spells of games. Watford changed to a 3-4-3 to get on the front foot and Benitez kept our shape the same, despite it having been very flaky all day.

It was as bad today as any as Ancelotti's worst managerial performances, or Silva's. Totally inept from the starting lineup onwards. The one good thing he did was get Richarlison on, but he took the wrong player off even then.
We haven't got a body in midfield though that's the problem the club went into the season with. We lost one midfielder on police custody and went into the season with Delph and gbamin as genuine squad players. So we are literally 3 midfielders down in the squad before a ball is kicked, lost 2 to injury and it's left us with only 2 more, one of which is constantly going backwards despite looking in flashes like he is learning.

The lack of players as options is what is killing us , that and losing lewen so early for so long leaving rondon to be our only option. We need bodies in the squad before we can even consider kicking on to a mid table finish and sadly we have wasted that chance and we go with what we have got which is a squad that is top 6 balanced with championship and injury prone players. We are going to struggle to get out of this any time soon , lewen and doucoure are far bigger misses than you would like to think they are.

We could well be in a relegation battle by Christmas and for once it won't be the managers fault.

7BE3338F-DA96-467A-8DB8-4F0E7ADA561E.jpeg

Oh, Everton. Read the room.

The manager takes his portion of the blame today just as much as the players. That result should send shock waves from the top to the bottom of the club. It's not business as usual and the reaction needs to be sizemic, sustainable and immediate.

It's nothing new but I honestly can't believe what a pile of arse is at Everton for the amount of money spent. Some have been expensive and ok but not great (Keane, Digne, Allen, Doucs, Mina, Godfery (who is shot of confidence), Siggi) and others expensive and awful (Walcott, Klaassen, Iwobi, Gomes, Iwobi (put him down twice cos he is that bad). I'm sure there will be others who I have missed but even the signings above who have left are still effecting us by FFP. Even Gray, Townsend and DCL cost less than Sandro. I'm fearful of a £30 million bid going in for Joelinton in January.

I've given Benitez a fair bit of credit for the start he made and the overall fitness we have shown recently, but today was an absolute car crash for him, even given the stupid injuries we have.

For a kick off, you can't play 2 in midfield when doucoure isn't available, it doesn't work without him - should have went 3 across the middle, if any flavour of the crap midfielders we had available.

Second, taking Gordon off when he was having by far his most effective game for us was a shambles, and to say he doesn't have the legs for 90mins, when he leaves his bezzie mate wrongun lounging around the pitch for the full 90 comes across as just stupid and stubborn. Gordon was my motm by a mile, followed by Pickford (just for keeping the score down a little) and Richy, who actually looked bothered and looked like a proper forward, unlike rondon.

If gray was injured or as he said, had a cold, then I'm surprised he started, but I get the iwobi change, at a push (not that I would have brought him on tbh).

If I'm Dobbin, or any other young striker at the club, I'm on the blower to my agent asking for a move because I'll never play for Everton if rondon is getting minutes ahead of me playing like that - it's embarrassing now, rondon needs putting out of his misery (and ours while we're at it!)

Up there for one of our most spineless, abject performances ever, and we've had a few over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.