Match Thread Everton v Watford, Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So we got the win which is great this is a results based business 3 points in the bank happy days but my oh my that was Everton at only 40% of what we are capable of

Pickford - big big player for us this season. A massive save in the second half and his distribution is still ace at times

Coleman- Watford exposed us a lot down the right side once he got booked but he had an ok game. Wasn’t his normal self bombing down the wing I thought.

Keane - was impressed with him. Solid at the back.

Mina - my only gripe is how he kept getting outjumped by troy deeney all the time which led to massive scrambles for the second ball. Nonetheless a clean sheet and solid at time. I do worry when he comes short from the goal kick though almost put Pickford in trouble on 1 occasion.

Digne - does seem to give away silly fouls from time to time. There wasn’t much link up play with Bernard today which was a shame but was still solid. Hopefully he was subbed as a precaution and is for for next week.

Gbamin - not going to get on the lads back. He still needs time to bed in. He does seem lost on the pitch at times like he isn’t sure where to go or what to do and gives the ball away very cheaply. He started off well though winning back the ball and using his strength.

Gomes - fairly solid however I don’t recall him doing much. I dunno if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Richarlison - very sloppy today but he’s still a top player. You need him in the team because of his pace and trickery. He earns us fouls in dangerous places and missed two great chances to score with his head so at least he is getting in the right places.

Sigurdsson - much improved today I thought but still something is missing. Enjoyed his trickery at the end

Bernard - very happy with Bernie and so glad he got a goal. Thing about Bernie is he always works hard.

Calvert Lewin - we needed his physicality up top today but there were no real opportunities for him to score apart from that pen appeal.

The issue today was possession. We couldn’t string passes together. Watford are a physical side and we couldn’t deal with it.

It is clear as day that the void that Gueye has left is massive. He was able to transition the ball forwards effortlessly and we struggled badly today trying to get out of pure own half.

There was poor decision making at times today especially in defence. I know this is only the second game so I’m hoping that it is just rust and that it will improve but man I expected a lot better today at home against Watford in our very first game at goodison Park this season. Players looked lethargic and slow.

Anyways onwards and upwards

So we got the win which is great this is a results based business 3 points in the bank happy days but my oh my that was Everton at only 40% of what we are capable of

Pickford - big big player for us this season. A massive save in the second half and his distribution is still ace at times

Coleman- Watford exposed us a lot down the right side once he got booked but he had an ok game. Wasn’t his normal self bombing down the wing I thought.

Keane - was impressed with him. Solid at the back.

Mina - my only gripe is how he kept getting outjumped by troy deemed all the time which led to massive scrambles for the second ball. Nonetheless a clean sheet and solid at time. I do worry when he comes short from the goal kick though almost put Pickford in trouble on 1 occasion.

Digne - does seem to give away silly fouls from time to time. There wasn’t much link up play with Bernard today which was a shame but was still solid. Hopefully he was subbed as a precaution and is for for next week.

Gbamin - not going to get on the lads back. He still needs time to bed in. He does seem lost on the pitch at times like he isn’t sure where to go or what to do and gives the ball away very cheaply. He started off well though winning back the ball and using his strength.

Gomes - fairly solid however I don’t recall him doing much. I dunno if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Richarlison - very sloppy today but he’s still a top player. You need him in the team because of his pace and trickery. He earns us fouls in dangerous places and missed two great chances to score with his head so at least he is getting in the right places.

Sigurdsson - much improved today I thought but still something is missing. Enjoyed his trickery at the end

Bernard - very happy with Bernie and so glad he got a goal. Thing about Bernie is he always works hard.

Calvert Lewin - we needed his physicality up top today but there were no real opportunities for him to score apart from that pen appeal.

The issue today was possession. We couldn’t string passes together. Watford are a physical side and we couldn’t deal with it.

It is clear as day that the void that Gueye has left is massive. He was able to transition the ball forwards effortlessly and we struggled badly today trying to get out of pure own half.

There was poor decision making at times today especially in defence. I know this is only the second game so I’m hoping that it is just rust and that it will improve but man I expected a lot better today at home against Watford in our very first game at goodison Park this season. Players looked lethargic and slow.

Anyways onwards and upwards

nice one captain obvious!

giphy.gif

....terrific defensive record, and whilst i’m happy with another clean sheet, we are having to defend very deep because of our lack of pace. Not sure how many off-sides Watford had (I doubt it was many) but we will continually invite teams on playing that way.

I very much doubt Silva/Brands want to play so deep, but as long as we are getting the job done it’s fine for now.

Little touches of after match comments

Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford: “I think it is a great result. A big grind I would say. We didn’t play the football we wanted but these games if you get the points that’s key.

“It is a full team effort from the front. We work had training all week. We are resilient. It is a great three points that gets us off and running at home."

Marco Silva: "It was really important to start winning at home in our first game.
Marco Silva: "Overall we deserved the three points."

Marco Silva: "Tough game. We started really well, controlling the game. After that we lost control of the match. We spoke at half time and tried to change that. We didn't start well the second-half. Happy with our performance? Of course not."

Silva on Pickford: "He made a very good save in that period. He was solid, mature.

Silva on fans and atmosphere: "It is really important for us. We want to make Goodison our fortress. They did last season and I am 100% sure they will again."

Watford midfielder Etienne Capoue: "It wasn't better because zero points but we had the right attitude. Everyone was on the same page but the result did not come.

"We conceded an unlucky goal today and I don't think they did a lot of action against us. We were good defensively but we need to be clinical.

"If you want the three points you have to score."

Javi Gracia: "We had a good performance. We deserved something but if you don't score in the moments you dominate the game....they dominated the first 30 minutes."
Gracia: "We had a good performance with a bad result."

Status
Not open for further replies.