Match Thread Everton v Watford - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
TELEMMGLPICT000173079691_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqNadeZm0KzkFwpSYJhHDpPdnmtm3XWosTHgZTwfmkibw.jpeg

Watford up next, no rest for the wicked in the month of December.

A last minute defeat and a draw against a very poor Newcastle side sadly has us looking over our shoulder, with City and Spurs after this we could really do with all 3 points here. Teams are coming to Goodison and not just parking the bus, they are parking 2 buses and we are sadly being very wasteful infront of goal.

After a great start Watford have faded a little recently 4 defeats and a draw in their last 5 games suggests we should put these to the sword, if only the footy was that easy.

Goats 11 to start :

Pickford
Coleman - Zouma - Mina - Digne
Gana - Gomes
Iceland
Lookman - Tosun - Rico​
Keane back in for me

Expecting a tougher game than Newcastle from a defensive point of view but they'll certainly be more 'open', which could suit us.

I'd revert back to Keane, Walcott & Bernard from the off. Capoue isn't still banned for this is he?

can't see them sitting back as much as that dog disgusting Rafael so think they'll be easier to break down

I prefer richarlison on the left, but I cannot stomach tosun or niasse upfront so either put richarlison back there or give DCL a chance upfront

Poor performance last time out I would go with this team.

Pickford
Coleman Keane Zouma Baines
McCarthy Gomes
Walcott's Bernard Richarlison
Calvert-Lewin

Subs
Stekelenburg Mina Digne Gueye Lookman Sigurdsson Tosun

I feel a few of our players are comfortable and need to see there is competition for places. That's the reason I've put Digne, Gueye and Sigurdsson on the bench. I've brought McCarthy into the team as I believe he is better suited to playing alongside Gomes than Davies. Next week at Man City I would go full strength so all the main players would get back in I just feel one or two could do with a breather and reminder of the standards required.

1-1.

We’re in full coward-mode and in for a Christmas collapse.

Seen it enough times at this club to know how this goes.

What?!!!

No need to throw the towel in. Watford are a decent team but aren't in great form.

We are going to have high and lows this season. It's a transition season where we could very well end up 6th and qualifying for Europe. That would be way above expectation in August. A lot of that is down to United falling off a cliff but also we've placed ourselves in that position to be best of the rest and capitalise if any of the Top 6 have a bad season.

We'll get better as the season goes on. But we'll also have poor games. Not all the pieces of the puzzle are there yet. Going to take a few seasons of building before we can make it a Top 7 and we can provide consistent Top 4 challenges.

A 1-1 last night doesn't make us a bad team. Or one who can't beat Watford or put a good run of form together. Conversely because we matched the RS and went toe-to-toe with them for a 45 minutes, doesn't make us better than them.

Said it before and I'll say it again, one of the things that holds us back is the extreme nature of our fanbase. Every slight knock back is a disaster in some people's eyes. Every slight positive is built up to be more than what it is. Just need to concentrate on improving week by week, month by month. Season by season. Then we'll come a decent side again. Viewing everything through the prism of the recent derby game is killing some people's rational thought process.

I would give Seamus a rest and put Jonjo back in for this game also put DCL upfront with Niasse on the bench.
How many times did the scout who suggested we sign Tosun see him, what influenced him so much that we should sign him, the only thing I can think of is a large brown envelope.

Same 11 as against the RS
As SSN said lady night
Lookman looked busy but ineffective
Tosun is best suited to the bench

Why some lads want Mina dropped is beyond me

I dont want Mina dropped just rotated as I think all players need a game or 2 off over the period. Our best centre back at the minute so want him to play against City and Spurs as they are the strongest teams we will face.

Status
Not open for further replies.