Match Thread Everton v Watford - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Watford are a decent side
When they were on the telly early in the season they looked very good ,very offensive,strong and sharp.
Last night unfortunately everything fell into place for them.

I think it's important not to knee-jerk too much. We have been an ordinary side for some years now, a d barring a 25 goal return from Lukaku would likely have finished between 45-50 points for each of the last 4 seasons. Within that context a points return of 60+ would be a sizeable improvement. Within a 60+ points season you will slip up in some games, even in some home games.

I have some sympathy with Coleman. I actually think he has been much improved of late and looks solid defensively. He did go to pot a bit yesterday though. The difficulty with him, is offensively I'm not sure he's cute enough to mask a loss of pace. Baines had a similar deterioration at a similar age but was a far better footballer than Coleman, better technique and a better brain so got away with it. It's never been Coleman's strength, we will have to see if he can sustain a performance level.

Gana likewise has been good but was missing yesterday. I will give him the benefit of the doubt as I suspect he is carrying an injury. I said a while back though, if PSG came in with 30+ million I would look to move him on. Some argued for holding out for 50, I maintain my position. I'm also not entirely sure he fits Silva's system.

A fire sale won't be necessary but lads will fall down the pecking order. While you can see inconsistency from players on one side, on the other you can see a far greater performance level and mental resilience from the newer players. While there will be some duds in there going forward (nobody is perfect) Brands has shown he is very adept at signing very good players at quite reasonable prices. I can't see sense in a world where we don't give him maximum flexibility to continue this.

As for Gomes what makes you think the money wasn't there? I am not 100% convinced on this. I think the money will be available but Brands will not be ripped off. I think if Barca try to hike the price too high he will walk away, whether we as fans like that or not.

Brands says here the money wasn’t available
Barca were not looking for big money back in August by all accounts

https://amp.[Publication is blackli...everton-couldnt-afford-permanent-andre-gomes/

Brands says here the money wasn’t available
Barca were not looking for big money back in August by all accounts

https://amp.[Publication is blackli...everton-couldnt-afford-permanent-andre-gomes/

Good spot mate. There's no doubt sides will try to muscle in, but if a deal in principle could be done for around 20-25 million in the summer I see that as a useful reference point for any future negotiations. While I suspect some inflation will be seen to the fee, ideas of 90+ million are way wide of the mark to me. Barcelona still have little use for Gomes. I suspect we may go up to £30 million but not much beyond that.

Maybe another team comes in for him, though I think there is no guarantee Gomes would want to go. Given his mental health difficulties he will really value what he has here.

I would also be amazed if conversations have not already happened. I don't think sides will be able to muscle in and sign him in January given we have an agreement for the season. I can't see Gomes agreeing to sit it out until the end of the season to join another team. I imagine if we open a negotiation in January it gets rectified.

Good spot mate. There's no doubt sides will try to muscle in, but if a deal in principle could be done for around 20-25 million in the summer I see that as a useful reference point for any future negotiations. While I suspect some inflation will be seen to the fee, ideas of 90+ million are way wide of the mark to me. Barcelona still have little use for Gomes. I suspect we may go up to £30 million but not much beyond that.

Maybe another team comes in for him, though I think there is no guarantee Gomes would want to go. Given his mental health difficulties he will really value what he has here.

I would also be amazed if conversations have not already happened. I don't think sides will be able to muscle in and sign him in January given we have an agreement for the season. I can't see Gomes agreeing to sit it out until the end of the season to join another team. I imagine if we open a negotiation in January it gets rectified.
Gomes has the upper hand here
I’ve said this on numerous occasions before
He’s a busted flush at Barca
He knows it , Barca know it the fans know it
Messi called for him to be sold
If Gomes tells Barca it’s Everton or nothing Barca will have to do a deal
We may deal in Jan or maybe just make an agreement on price and contracts and tell Gomes we will sign him on a permant in the summer but use what ever funds are available in January to strengthen more pressing needs ie CF and RW
With one failed move behind him Gomes will think long and hard before going anywhere he is not guaranteed the adoration and gametime he is guaranteed here

Maybe.
With regards Richarlison, I think the refs are going to be wising up to some of his stuff.
The one where he's lying on the ground and play goes on down the other end - it looks a harsh challenge on him, but replay shows he doesn't do anythig to play the ball, is in the completely inferior position, purposefully falls into the watford who is jumping up and timing it well and makes the clearance, richarlison actually and stupidly gets into a position where he could get hurt, comes off ok but still goes down like he's mortally wounded.

Sorry but don't like it.
He needs to get his head screwed on properly and start playing the football his talent deserves.
We don't need any more of this hard done by mentality.
Go along with that boring play acting, childish, just get on with game especially when you have been awarded the foul,
apart from that he was very wasteful with the ball, he scored a very good goal, did he do anything else all night.

When Watford, Bournemouth,West Ham and Wolves are on their game, they are pretty good at football. Everton needs to be aware that when these teams play us, they are very motivated; presently this awareness is absent. Hopefully, in the return games, it won't be.

Having said that, I am very aware that with Everton, it's the hope that kills you...

Gomes has the upper hand here
I’ve said this on numerous occasions before
He’s a busted flush at Barca
He knows it , Barca know it the fans know it
Messi called for him to be sold
If Gomes tells Barca it’s Everton or nothing Barca will have to do a deal
We may deal in Jan or maybe just make an agreement on price and contracts and tell Gomes we will sign him on a permant in the summer but use what ever funds are available in January to strengthen more pressing needs ie CF and RW
With one failed move behind him Gomes will think long and hard before going anywhere he is not guaranteed the adoration and gametime he is guaranteed here

He's a rare one if he chooses life in another culture (ie no local ties or loyalties excepting those he develops over a few months) if he has a choice and that choice involves more money and possibly champions league football. Do these people exist anymore?

Maybe.
With regards Richarlison, I think the refs are going to be wising up to some of his stuff.
The one where he's lying on the ground and play goes on down the other end - it looks a harsh challenge on him, but replay shows he doesn't do anythig to play the ball, is in the completely inferior position, purposefully falls into the watford who is jumping up and timing it well and makes the clearance, richarlison actually and stupidly gets into a position where he could get hurt, comes off ok but still goes down like he's mortally wounded.

Sorry but don't like it.
He needs to get his head screwed on properly and start playing the football his talent deserves.
We don't need any more of this hard done by mentality.
Saw a few of these, but I suspect after the twenty batterings he got, he figured he needed to go down to get anything... As it happens, he still didn't. Maybe they should wise up to countless fouls on him too.
It's like Fellaini when he used to be up front; They would hold him, grab him, kick him and as soon as he reacted they would go down like Tyson hit em with a 10 punch combo... Always a yellow for Felli... at least Richarlison has a bit more patience about him than the big man I guess, a lot of players would of seen red in that match in both meanings of the expression.

Last edited:
There are those with half a mind locked into the past when some clubs were "big" and others were "small" and the small ones were to be regularly beaten and tolerated by us. Watford never beat us at our place but they should have won last night and deserved to. Get used to it for God's sake, we are a mid table club with aspirations to get in touching distance of 6th. No more, until the financial odds are lessened. Forget the Leicester aberration, it is unlikely to happen again more than once in the next 50 years. We are progressing from a low point and should in a year or two be regular challengers for 6th with 5th out of our reach. It is called best of the rest if you remember.

Saw a few of these, but I suspect after the twenty batterings he got, he figured he needed to go down to get anything... As it happens, he still didn't. Maybe they should wise up to countless fouls on him too.
It's like Fellaini when he used to be up front; They would hold him, grab him, kick him and as soon as he reacted they would go down like Tyson hit em with a 10 punch combo... Always a yellow for Felli... at least Richarlison has a bit more patience about him than the big man I guess, a lot of players would of seen red in that match in both meanings of the expression.
Y, but overall he's tried to milk more and probably come out on top bc he's a crafty bugger.

But he's got to work out when that's on and when it isn't.
There are plenty of times now, when standing the man, being counted and getting the ball away was the much better option.
Is he going down because he can't?

I'd rather see him fail and get one or two away than some of the stuff he's trying.

Im sure its been said, but ive just watched the highlights and Walcott was offside for our first goal, but im sure we wont mark that down when we are claiming the Refs have it in for us or we never get any luck.

Im jus saying, s'all.
The ref was godawful. I don’t think people are disputing that. The bigger problem is the decisions mostly favored us and we still bottled it horribly

Status
Not open for further replies.