Match Thread Everton v Watford - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Think it shows we are a decent mid table side and no more than that.With the squad we have European football next season would be a severe stretch.

We are an upper middle side anyway as it stands, in my opinion, I don't see whats so shocking about that at this juncture, the managers not even had half a season and he's expected to make us a top side already is he. Expectations through the roof for some.

We are an upper middle side anyway as it stands, in my opinion, I don't see whats so shocking about that at this juncture, the managers not even had half a season and he's expected to make us a top side already is he. Expectations through the roof for some.
I think the quality and impact of the initial signings have everyone a huge boost and increased expectations
However now those signings have shown up just how bad the rest of the squad is
Serious gaps in the first 11 ( at least 4 ) and the bench in general is garbage
I said in an earlier post I’d keep
Pickford , Digne , Keane ,,Mina ,Siggy,Bernard ,Ricarlison ,sign Gomes and Zouma and if I got offers for the other 20 or do I’d take them
It’ll take 3/4 windows though and patience is required
The last week has been an eye opener and a reality check

We were poor from about 25mins onwards.

We looked shattered against Newcastle and shattered again last night. Problem is we only have two centre midfielders who are decent and no real option to rotate as needed in a busy week.

Also thought taking bernard off was a bit odd last night as he was the one not scared to try things, could have been huge.

Think it shows we are a decent mid table side and no more than that.With the squad we have European football next season would be a severe stretch.

I would say a decent upper mid table side. With a few players who could be good enough to push into Top 6.

As a number of people have said, it's going to take time to build the squad. Replace some of the players that are just not suited to the system and/or we will outgrow. Can't do everything in 1 summer. Will take 2 or 3 summer transfer windows (I think there's limited value in the January window) to get a competitive squad that can challenge Top 6 and participate in European football.

At the moment, I think Everton, United, Bournemouth, Watford, Wolves are relatively similar level in performance and league ambition for 2018/19. Though beyond United we arguably have the strongest squad on paper out of those teams. We also potentially have one of the highest ceilings given we are only 4 months into Silva's reign.

Still a bit to go for Silva to rebuild the team, the players he's brought in shows he is on the right track. Digne and Mina look a very good combination on the left.

What seems to have happened is we have become predictable. Team reverted back to the same, playing the same way, but then as normal Bernard and Walcott off, same subs on etc etc. Seems Walcott and Bernard are hooked off every game after 65 minutes.
I still don't like Rich as a striker. As a gamble, do we not have a u23 striker to have on the bench. It seems the team does well every year so they must have strikers there. When are they going to be ready to get in the match day squad. We seem to have a massive derby hangover. I still believe if we drew at Liverpool we get 6 points in the two home games. We'd have actually been better off winning one and losing one than two draws. So frustrating Everton!

See Walcott was offside on the goal and it shouldnt of stood, I noticed that at the time, also thought Mina was lucky to not get a second yellow, swings and roundabouts, might of got a rough deal from refs earlier in the season so good to get one back last night

Performances would suggest that we're better suited at playing away from home. Results at Goodison, as a consequence of a generous run of fixtures, have papered over the cracks a little.

Home results so far: Southampton (2-1 Win), Huddersfield (1-1), West Ham (1-3 Loss), Fulham (3-0 Win), Crystal Palace (2-0 Win), Brighton (3-1 Win), Cardiff (1-0 Win), Newcastle Utd (1-1), Watford (2-2).

We've played all the teams from the bottom half bar Burnley and Wolves.

That highlights the difference between sides challenging for the Champions League spots and us - we find it difficult to break down massed back lines. I'm confident that Brands and Silva will go some way to rectifying that in the Summer.
We have to get used to and find a way of breaking down teams that set up defensively, we are now one of the teams that others will set out to draw with certainly at Goodison. We have pace wide now which we have had in a long time, a top out and out striker is most important, that would be the difference of at least 12 points so far this season, that would put us right up in the top 4. We are closer than we think, top striker, sign Gomes and replace Coleman, try for Zouma or another CB probably talking around the 130-140 million spend on that 3, get some of it back by selling Bolasie schniderlin niasse Tuson sandro mirrallas Walcott and maybe vlasic.

I’m not normally one for over reaction but after a couple of good performances against Chelsea and the RS the last 2 matches have been unacceptable in terms of performance and results
I agree a bigger cull than we thought will be necessary
As you said apart from Brands signings plus Pickford, Keane Siggy ( who was poor last night ) and possibly 3 or 4 others I’d sell the rest of the squad
I feel I’ve been over protective and too loyal to some players ( Gana /Coleman ) who on their day can be excellent but unfortunately that’s not often enough
Gana was atrocious last night , Voleman was unlucky for the 2 goals and I can’t poinr a finger at him for either of them but overall last 2 games he’s been poor
As you said we may get money for some of our players but the squad is weak for replacements all over the pitch
Brands has his work cut out to sell some of the dross
There was no money to buy Gomes in the summer so unless the puppet master steps out of the shadows I can’t see a lot changing in the Jan window
I’d say we will spend what we take in and possibly a loan in
As regards to Silva as was pointed out changes should have been made earlier , in his defence he hadn’t much to work with on the bench
It’ll be a long hard season with a few bumps but I’ve faith in Brands judging by his record so far

I think it's important not to knee-jerk too much. We have been an ordinary side for some years now, a d barring a 25 goal return from Lukaku would likely have finished between 45-50 points for each of the last 4 seasons. Within that context a points return of 60+ would be a sizeable improvement. Within a 60+ points season you will slip up in some games, even in some home games.

I have some sympathy with Coleman. I actually think he has been much improved of late and looks solid defensively. He did go to pot a bit yesterday though. The difficulty with him, is offensively I'm not sure he's cute enough to mask a loss of pace. Baines had a similar deterioration at a similar age but was a far better footballer than Coleman, better technique and a better brain so got away with it. It's never been Coleman's strength, we will have to see if he can sustain a performance level.

Gana likewise has been good but was missing yesterday. I will give him the benefit of the doubt as I suspect he is carrying an injury. I said a while back though, if PSG came in with 30+ million I would look to move him on. Some argued for holding out for 50, I maintain my position. I'm also not entirely sure he fits Silva's system.

A fire sale won't be necessary but lads will fall down the pecking order. While you can see inconsistency from players on one side, on the other you can see a far greater performance level and mental resilience from the newer players. While there will be some duds in there going forward (nobody is perfect) Brands has shown he is very adept at signing very good players at quite reasonable prices. I can't see sense in a world where we don't give him maximum flexibility to continue this.

As for Gomes what makes you think the money wasn't there? I am not 100% convinced on this. I think the money will be available but Brands will not be ripped off. I think if Barca try to hike the price too high he will walk away, whether we as fans like that or not.

Only just watched the game.

Lucky with the first goal but it was great build up play and a brilliant finish.

We controlled the first half and were unlucky not to make it 2.

Had a mad few minutes in the second half and from then on we were poor.

But we weren't awful. It was just a tricky game and a few moments didn't go our way (and a few moments did). Draw fair result.

Would much rather sell Walcott than Lookman.

There will come a point though where it is not either/or. I am not wholly convinced by either for different reasons. I think Lookman is very raw and needs a lot of development to be consistent, and I'm not sure if we will want to afford him this.

Status
Not open for further replies.