Homepage Update: Everton v Swansea. Monday 18th December - 8.00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, a tactical switch but the thing is neither Schneiderlin nor Gueye can play that box-to-box role.

Away from home and against sides when we will be on the back foot a bit, 4-2-3-1 is okay.

But in these types of games 4-3-3, with Rooney in the free role in midfield, is the way to go.
I don't think Sam fancies Schneiderlin or Davies that much. I also think that the N'Zonzi link makes a lot of sense as he would fulfil the role you are describing next to Gana.

I don't think Sam fancies Schneiderlin or Davies that much. I also think that the N'Zonzi link makes a lot of sense as he would fulfil the role you are describing next to Gana.

I wonder would Barkley be able to play in midfield alongside Rooney and Gana? He can certainly carry the ball well enough but without it I'd be worried.

Snides nor in the Team he looks tired injured or just so slow!

He played fine against Liverpool and Newcastle.

I can see why he started tonight, even though I'd prefer that we'd go with 4-3-3 from the off.

That being said, we got the result in the end and the introduction of Davies gave us real energy in the centre of the park just as they were tiring.

It's not complicated, the defence has dropped back 5 yards and that takes the pressure off the centre backs and they're not asked to carry the ball, which is just as well), the full backs maybe pick their moments to get forward.

This has put a lot of pressure on our midfield though, they have to cover more area (with the defence dropping off) and they don't receive much ball from the defenders, they don't have the same out-balls to the likes of Coleman or Baines. Sigurdsson is carrying Martina.

It has worked in stopping the rot, we've had to take a step back to take one forward. Rooney's made chances up the other end for us,

If we want to progress, I still think the problem is with the defence. We need more mobility and ability on the ball or our midfield will continue to be over-run no matter who we bring in there.

Not sure where you're getting that he doesn't fancy them from mate?

It's been one or the other starting there in our games so far and he certainly rates Davies as he's mentioned him a few times.

It's just squad rotation.

And while I like N'Zonzi and really rate him as a player, he's always been more effective for Sevilla in the same role that Schneiderlin is for us - i.e. the deep-lying playmaker in front of our defence.

But that would just leave the same issue - Gana having to be the spare midfielder and that negates his game, which is basically screening the entirety of the pitch across the defence.

Against teams when we will have a lot of the ball, we have the players in Davies and Rooney to play a 4-3-3. Rooney is the playmaker, picking up the ball facing the goal, and Davies is the energetic box-to-box player.

We also have McCarthy and Klaassen in reserve, and who knows what's going to happen when Ross gets fit.

Clearly, there's doubts - for a variety of reasons - for all of the above, but let's see.

I like N'Zonzi but just not sure it's an area we should be targeting at this minute as he's really a very similar player to Schneiderlin - just with more of a physical presence.

And we all saw how good Schneiderlin can be when he came in last year, but the system needs to be right (i.e. 4-2-3-1 away from home or, if he plays at home, in a 4-3-3 with Davies and Rooney).

It's not complicated, the defence has dropped back 5 yards and that takes the pressure off the centre backs and they're not asked to carry the ball, which is just as well), the full backs maybe pick their moments to get forward.

This has put a lot of pressure on our midfield though, they have to cover more area (with the defence dropping off) and they don't receive much ball from the defenders, they don't have the same out-balls to the likes of Coleman or Baines. Sigurdsson is carrying Martina.

It has worked in stopping the rot, we've had to take a step back to take one forward. Rooney's made chances up the other end for us,

If we want to progress, I still think the problem is with the defence. We need more mobility and ability on the ball or our midfield will continue to be over-run no matter who we bring in there.

Harsh this.

Gylfi is excellent at tracking back, but Martina has played well recently, the derby shocker aside.

We need a left-back, clearly, but he's more than holding his own.

Well done you mighty blues, so happy here!!!

Calvert-Lewin was lucky the ball came to him but confident and sharp enough to calmly slot.

Great goal from Sigurdsson, finally had the confidence to create the all important half a yard to get a shot on and wow was it a beauty. More please, sir.

Rooney had the courage and leadership to take the second penalty smashing it into the gwladys street net. He bloody loved that..!!

Fantastic. Thank you everton.

The keeper read his second penalty too. He struck it hard enough to avoid it being saved. 10/32 is terrible... One in every 3 is saved
He advertises which way it's going. But if a penalty taker just wellies the ball, kinetic energy takes over, nullifying the advertising*. It's the little uncertain shuffle-footing before striking that balls' things up, because it compromises velocity.

*if a grain of sand hits earth at velocity 99% speed of light, the amount of kinetic energy such an object has is given by

KE = mc²(1/√(1−β²) − 1)

where:
m = the object's mass (in this example, about 0.000011 kg)
c = speed of light (about 3×10^8 meters/sec)
β = object's speed as a fraction of c (in this example, 0.9999)

Plugging in the numbers, we get

K.E.= 4.94 × 10^15 J

That's about 5600 times the energy released in the Hiroshima bomb.

i.e. It would penetrate the earth and emerge out the other side in milliseconds

No goal keeper is stopping that.

Status
Not open for further replies.