Match Thread Everton v Swansea 19/11/16 KO 1500

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't "two years of tosh" though, Toff.

You know that as well as I do.

That is why your good self and me were still with Roberto up until March......we kept hoping that the balls would fall into place and we would start defending properly to complement the excellent attacking play Roberto sent his team out to play.

This time last year the football was free flowing, exciting and we were in a good little run up until Bournemouth.

Two years ago the team was in decent form and we were a week away from returning from Wolfsburg after a stunning victory which put the group to rest.

Don't let the revisionists cloud your thinking.

It was very bad in parts over the past two years.....but it was also very good in parts.

Forget about the past and judge on what you are seeing right now.

It is abysmal.

Forget about what United spent and get your head round the fact we have taken 6 points from the last 21 possible points.

That is relegation form.

Look at the next six games and realistically predict what you think we can get from them.

I am going for 6 at best :(

If it pans out that way we are going to be mired in the bottom half of the table.

This is not good, Toff.

This is very bad.

You say we are "realistically the seventh best team in the league".

Happen......but we have lost at Bournemouth and Burnley plus dropped home points against Palace and Swansea.

If we are better than those teams then the manager must be doing sommat wrong in setting our team up.

This is why the more realistic among us, the one's whose heads are not buried in the sand, are miserable and behaving like "turnips".

We have lots to me "miserable" about :cheers:

Yeh I agree on your first point Khal.

That's why I think the worrying thing (or mainly for me) is the mental fragility of this squad (one bad result and they collapse).

Koeman showed us with a strong start he can be the manager to get us back to where we want to be, IMO, and while I'm not saying he's blameless for the slump (as he isn't) - my main worry is the squad, and its why I'm more than willing to give him and Walsh at least the next two windows before getting overly concerned.

Our form is awful - all of the players and the manager have said so (Baines did a very candid interview after the game as well).

But... we're still in a good position, regardless of where we were earlier in the season, is my major point. Even having not played well. That's a silver lining to take from it.

We need to kick on - and that's on both the players and the manager. We should have got that reaction on Saturday and didn't and these slow starts to games (which were prevalent under RM as well) need to be eradicated.

Bolasie actually was pressing the ball. He just wasn't doing enough with it when he won it back.

Why leave early though?

I mean, you have every right to, but it just seems a little pointless to me - given the situation of the game.

You're a reasonable poster mate.

As are lots of others and I'm in no way trying to say we're not in bad form. We absolutely are.

Am I concerned? Absolutely not.

It's far too early.

Does the squad need a overhaul. Yes.

I can take an Everton side getting beaten or playing badly, that's football.

What I can't have is when they don't give everything for the shirt, and on Saturday they simply didn't, we saw it under Martinez and for me it came back with aplomb on Saturday.

I don't pay my money to watch some overpaid half arsed beauts going through the motions, as it winds me off the clock

Happen......but we have lost at Bournemouth and Burnley plus dropped home points against Palace and Swansea.

If we are better than those teams then the manager must be doing sommat wrong in setting our team up.

This is why the more realistic among us, the one's whose heads are not buried in the sand, are miserable and behaving like "turnips".

We have lots to me "miserable" about :cheers:

That's not how football works. You can't beat everybody below you all the time. Everyone drops points. Doesn't mean you aren't better than them. Are Boro better than Man City? Are Burnley better than Liverpool? We are 7th at the moment, and I think most people would agree that 7th is on-par for us, even if the performances have been largely poor.

The concern for me is the players still seem to have that fragile mentality, and they still seem unwilling to work their socks off for 90 minutes. To press, to tackle or to be aggressive. This problem pre-dates Koeman. If he didn't know before, he will know now. The majority of our squad is complete deadwood.

Koeman has made mistakes, but I think pinning this mess at his door lets the players off the hook. Again.

He deserves time, and a few transfer windows, to shape a squad his own way. It's a massive job.

I can take an Everton side getting beaten or playing badly, that's football.

What I can't have is when they don't give everything for the shirt, and on Saturday they simply didn't, we saw it under Martinez and for me it came back with aplomb on Saturday.

I don't pay my money to watch some overpaid half arsed beauts going through the motions, as it winds me off the clock
Fancy getting booed off the pitch in an FA Cup semi final this year again lads? Much greater effort required from most.
The Nyarko shirt swap video should be shown this week at training. Although the fella was out of order to get onto the pitch to make his point, it shows vividly the sort of reception awaiting Everton players who think they can just jog around and go through the motions from the Everton fan base. It wasn't tolerated last year from the players, and it won't be this year neither.

Sunday;

Engineering work is taking place between Basingstoke and St Denys closing the lines. CrossCountry services will be diverted, and will not call at Winchester and Southampton Airport Parkway. Customers can use South West Trains bus services between Basingstoke and Winchester.

Crosscountry trains to Birmingham - change for Liverpool - are being diverted.

Journeys to London will take more than two hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.