Match Thread Everton v Swansea 19/11/16 KO 1500

Status
Not open for further replies.
It won't be the first time we have acquired the "next big thing" and for it to go tits up and that's maybe because I think this way.
But amidst all the fanfare of the nothing will be the same blitz, there are a great many expecting better even within this short timespan.
Only time will tell if he is the next big thing but I do know you need a lot of patience to be an Everton fan and I will give him time we have waited long enough another couple of seasons won't matter.

Only time will tell if he is the next big thing but I do know you need a lot of patience to be an Everton fan and I will give him time we have waited long enough another couple of seasons won't matter.
Patience is indeed a virtue never more so when you are cursed to be an Evertonian. But can I pick up on your last comment about waiting a couple of seasons.
I can't rid myself of the feeling he wants to be on the next stage of his ascent to greatness in a couple of years. The job of restoring us to our past glories will take longer than that.

Patience is indeed a virtue never more so when you are cursed to be an Evertonian. But can I pick up on your last comment about waiting a couple of seasons.
I can't rid myself of the feeling he wants to be on the next stage of his ascent to greatness in a couple of years. The job of restoring us to our past glories will take longer than that.
I think your correct he's not here for 5 of 6 years but if he's as good as we hope he is a couple of seasons will get us up there top 6 maybe then if he then is poached by someone else if gives us room to appoint someone who is top notch to take us up higher that's my dream anyway.

Ok, my fume has dissipated enough to post my final thoughts.

Ross looked much more confident on the ball, great touches and awareness and on another day would have scored. Best thing was the miss didn't knock his confidence and he kept going.

McCarthy is just terrible and needs to go. Davies has to be in against soton and always be the second choice to Barry or gueye.

Jags is done. Buy a CB in Jan.

Coleman, Bolasie and Ross and Ashley and gueye play for the shirt. We lack passion from everyone else.

Kev is done. Offers nothing. Deulofeu is lacking so much confidence and I miss him.

Practice corners you plums.

We buy a CB, a cdm and a striker and a winger that works as hard as Bolasie and we will be fine.

We know how tough this league is and if you look at the results yesterday, most teams above us drew so we are still on the right path. We have to get rid of dead wood though. How Lennon and McCarthy were even near this team I have no idea but Ron and Walsh will fix that.

Apologies for capitals, wrote this on a phone.

Ross looked much more confident on the ball, great touches and awareness and on another day would have scored. Best thing was the miss didn't knock his confidence and he kept going.

McCarthy is just terrible and needs to go. Davies has to be in against soton and always be the second choice to Barry or gueye.

Coleman, Bolasie and Ross and Ashley and gueye play for the shirt. We lack passion from everyone else.

Kev is done. Offers nothing. Deulofeu is lacking so much confidence and I miss him.

We buy a CB, a cdm and a striker and a winger that works as hard as Bolasie and we will be fine.

We know how tough this league is and if you look at the results yesterday, most teams above us drew so we are still on the right path. We have to get rid of dead wood though. How Lennon and McCarthy were even near this team I have no idea but Ron and Walsh will fix that.

Kev actually looked decent when he came on IMO - but he was been played as a No.10, which I think has to be where he starts now (if he's to play).

I'm all for giving managers time and it is only 12 games etc etc, but if you told me there was a pair of brownshoes pacing the tech area I wouldn't be disbelieving you
#greenshoots my a...
or
It could be sometimes you have to go back before you go forward...if so, the going back bit is well ahead of schedule.
Going to be a long season

I agree in principle, but please, take a look at the table.

Ignore the top place, and focus on us.

Look where we are, and tell me what you expected different?

The points on the board are OK, as is 7th. It's not flash but it's ok. It's the next bank of 8 games up to the new year that really worry me tho. Are we good enough to get points in these games? I'm not so sure. We can only hope we find something of the old Everton spirit of lifting it against better sides.

Now it's the day after I can sensibly post about the match.

Lennon offered nothing. He was from too deep and doesn't have the ability to do anything from there. If he's not on the shoulder he is useless. McCarthy also offered nothing, especially once we were 1 down.

At half time I was saying we needed to haul Lennon off for Deulofeu - it happened 65 minutes in - as he would be able to beat a man if needs be or put in a dangerous ball from deep. I was also saying we needed to take McCarthy off, drop Barkley deeper and bring on Mirallas.

Also, they pressed us high up the pitch with a defensive line only five yards in to their half. I was shouting for us to start dropping the ball in to that 40 yards of empty space and have them going back towards their goal.

Once we started to do that more consistently in the last 20 we started building the pressure, picking up corners and throw ins.

All of this was just common footballing sense. We just wasted so much of this match passing side to side in the middle of the pitch, without the creativity or nous to push them back and threaten their goal consistently.

I've looked were we are and I've also seen where we were 8 games or so too (2nd?)

As to what I expected; I've been on here a few times saying 7, 8, 9th - BUT; I would've preferred to see SOME evidence of Improvement in the way we end up there - not happening so far.

Next; where will we be after another 12 games.

Unless Koeman can start stopping the rot now, not by the end of Jan after spunking mega millions...always assuming there are millions to spunk and that the targets want to come here.

So, based on the last 8 games, I see a possible slow slide down the table.

One other thing to mention is that Swansea defended really well today, both their centre halves were superb in getting to their respective near posts to block crosses, can't think of a time when we got a player in front of them at the near post. Fabianski played well, showing good command of his 6 yard box.

Can't agree with this bit: I counted FIVE corners that he was allowed to catch UNCHALLENGED. If a Premiership GK can't do that, he must be worse than Tim Howard!

Seriously, the corners are becoming embarrassing - when they didn't hit the first defender (60%), they were allowed to sail into the keepers arms (40%). The steam coming from my ears must have obscured the view for nearby fans.

Good post and I agree with almost every word.

Except the bits about Bolasie.

IMO he is awful.

And if he does do a lot of work it is the work for work sake type of work......like the man spending all morning digging a hole and all afternoon filling it back in again.

Pointless work :pint2:

It is not where we are, it is the way we have arrived here that is the problem.

When we were sitting second and still unbeaten in the middle of September and a with "favourable" (lol) run of fixtures coming up I for one did not expect to see us drop like this.

To be sitting seventh at this moment in time, given the start we had, is nothing short of very disappointing, Toff.

It can't be glossed over or sugar coated....we are in a horrendous slump and I doubt there iare more than a few among us whom believes things are about to suddenly improve given the fixtures we face between now and Boxing Day.

:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.