Match Thread Everton v Swansea 19/11/16 KO 1500

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've looked were we are and I've also seen where we were 8 games or so too (2nd?)

As to what I expected; I've been on here a few times saying 7, 8, 9th - BUT; I would've preferred to see SOME evidence of Improvement in the way we end up there - not happening so far.

Next; where will we be after another 12 games.

Unless Koeman can start stopping the rot now, not by the end of Jan after spunking mega millions...always assuming there are millions to spunk and that the targets want to come here.

So, based on the last 8 games, I see a possible slow slide down the table.

It is all very troubling, degsy.

Can't agree with this bit: I counted FIVE corners that he was allowed to catch UNCHALLENGED. If a Premiership GK can't do that, he must be worse than Tim Howard!

Seriously, the corners are becoming embarrassing - when they didn't hit the first defender (60%), they were allowed to sail into the keepers arms (40%). The steam coming from my ears must have obscured the view for nearby fans.

bit on an enigma you mate, failing to realise that when big confident keepers come out at a rate of knots to claim a ball that is palpably theirs, hardly anybody does...just like when big CB's do it

We were absolute gash yesterday. First half there was only Gueye putting a shift in.

Barkley, Rom, Bolasie weren't pressing the ball hard enough, a lack of effort and commitment that I found sickening

McCarthy hiding yet gain as soon as we got possession. Useless.

Jags is showing his age now, as much as I've always respected him, his time has come.

Second half was little better albeit it was obvious they'd had a shoeing at half time.

I left on 75 minutes, not done that for years.

Could it be that certain players know that their days are numbered and as such aren't really arsed anymore ?.
With Koeman being forced to play them through the lack of strength in depth of the squad.

There seems to an all round malaise with certain players, who just don't seem to be arsed anymore.

Ok, my fume has dissipated enough to post my final thoughts.

Ross looked much more confident on the ball, great touches and awareness and on another day would have scored. Best thing was the miss didn't knock his confidence and he kept going.

McCarthy is just terrible and needs to go. Davies has to be in against soton and always be the second choice to Barry or gueye.

Jags is done. Buy a CB in Jan.

Coleman, Bolasie and Ross and Ashley and gueye play for the shirt. We lack passion from everyone else.

Kev is done. Offers nothing. Deulofeu is lacking so much confidence and I miss him.

Practice corners you plums.

We buy a CB, a cdm and a striker and a winger that works as hard as Bolasie and we will be fine.

We know how tough this league is and if you look at the results yesterday, most teams above us drew so we are still on the right path. We have to get rid of dead wood though. How Lennon and McCarthy were even near this team I have no idea but Ron and Walsh will fix that.

Apologies for capitals, wrote this on a phone.

Say thank you to RM. Last season never wanted Lennon at all and said so.

We started with the wrong formation. We certainly looked better after the substitutions - even if they were far too late.

But Swansea are a modest team - and were tiring badly by then. I'm not sure that it would work against the top teams.

Swansea didn't play a striker. We could have played three at the back and attacked through Baines and Coleman.

Koeman seems undecided about the wingers - he's now played Bolasie, Deulofeu and Lennon. I expected Bolasie to be the player to support Lukaku - but yesterday it was Mirallas.

The games before Christmas are going to be very revealing.

bit on an enigma you mate, failing to realise that when big confident keepers come out at a rate of knots to claim a ball that is palpably theirs, hardly anybody does...just like when big CB's do it
A ball into the box is only "palpably theirs" if it is not attacked, which is the point I am trying to make. None of our players could be bothered attacking the ball, so it is easy therefore for the GK to claim it under no pressure at all. It doesn't matter if they are a "big, confident" keeper or a short timid one! Allowing a keeper to catch the ball in this way just boosts his confidence and makes him look good. The fault lies jointly with the corner-taker and the attackers: don't they practise corners in training??

It is not where we are, it is the way we have arrived here that is the problem.

When we were sitting second and still unbeaten in the middle of September and a with "favourable" (lol) run of fixtures coming up I for one did not expect to see us drop like this.

To be sitting seventh at this moment in time, given the start we had, is nothing short of very disappointing, Toff.

It can't be glossed over or sugar coated....we are in a horrendous slump and I doubt there iare more than a few among us whom believes things are about to suddenly improve given the fixtures we face between now and Boxing Day.

:mad:

At the start of the season before a ball was kicked the aim was top seven.

We're still in line to do that.

The slump we are in at the moment is bad. Nobody is saying otherwise.

But perspective really is required.

We were absolute gash yesterday. First half there was only Gueye putting a shift in.

Barkley, Rom, Bolasie weren't pressing the ball hard enough, a lack of effort and commitment that I found sickening

McCarthy hiding yet gain as soon as we got possession. Useless.

Jags is showing his age now, as much as I've always respected him, his time has come.

Second half was little better albeit it was obvious they'd had a shoeing at half time.

I left on 75 minutes, not done that for years.

Bolasie actually was pressing the ball. He just wasn't doing enough with it when he won it back.

Why leave early though?

I mean, you have every right to, but it just seems a little pointless to me - given the situation of the game.

You're a reasonable poster mate.

As are lots of others and I'm in no way trying to say we're not in bad form. We absolutely are.

Am I concerned? Absolutely not.

It's far too early.

Does the squad need a overhaul. Yes.

At the start of the season before a ball was kicked the aim was top seven.

We're still in line to do that.

The slump we are in at the moment is bad. Nobody is saying otherwise.

You may not be "saying otherwise" but those comments show you are in denial of what you are witnessing before your own eyes.

Based on the results and performances over the last two months we are not "in line" to finish 7th or anywhere near it.

If we keep on at this rate we will be closer to 17th than 7th.

Only a complete ostrich would be oblivious to our current plight with six really tough consecutive fixtures coming down the pike.

You may not be "saying otherwise" but those comments show you are in denial of what you are witnessing before your own eyes.

Based on the results and performances over the last two months we are not "in line" to finish 7th or anywhere near it.

If we keep on at this rate we will be closer to 17th than 7th.

Only a complete ostrich would be oblivious to our current plight with six really tough consecutive fixtures coming down the pike.

Having watched a lot of football for work Khal, observably so, I still don't think there is another side that is better than ours outside of the top six.

We definitely have to improve. But realistically we are the seventh best team in this division.

Form is different. And we have some real issues with our form/confidence at the moment.

But I've never known our fan base to be so miserable or acting like such turnips tbh.

12 games in after two years of tosh. It's going to take time.

The football this time last year was better, but we had less points...

We're level on points with United fgs. They spent £200mil this summer.

One other thing to mention is that Swansea defended really well today, both their centre halves were superb in getting to their respective near posts to block crosses, can't think of a time when we got a player in front of them at the near post. Fabianski played well, showing good command of his 6 yard box.

Excellent point Esk, when del came on he had 2 men marking him and another 2 sheilding to the front post area. Not once did we have a player get across the front post, and watch it every week we will never have a player getting across the first defender.

Having watched a lot of football for work Khal, observably so, I still don't think there is another side that is better than ours outside of the top six.

We definitely have to improve. But realistically we are the seventh best team in this division.

Form is different. And we have some real issues with our form/confidence at the moment.

But I've never known our fan base to be so miserable or acting like such turnips tbh.

12 games in after two years of tosh. It's going to take time.

The football this time last year was better, but we had less points...

We're level on points with United fgs. They spent £200mil this summer.

It wasn't "two years of tosh" though, Toff.

You know that as well as I do.

That is why your good self and me were still with Roberto up until March......we kept hoping that the balls would fall into place and we would start defending properly to complement the excellent attacking play Roberto sent his team out to play.

This time last year the football was free flowing, exciting and we were in a good little run up until Bournemouth.

Two years ago the team was in decent form and we were a week away from returning from Wolfsburg after a stunning victory which put the group to rest.

Don't let the revisionists cloud your thinking.

It was very bad in parts over the past two years.....but it was also very good in parts.

Forget about the past and judge on what you are seeing right now.

It is abysmal.

Forget about what United spent and get your head round the fact we have taken 6 points from the last 21 possible points.

That is relegation form.

Look at the next six games and realistically predict what you think we can get from them.

I am going for 6 at best :(

If it pans out that way we are going to be mired in the bottom half of the table.

This is not good, Toff.

This is very bad.

You say we are "realistically the seventh best team in the league".

Happen......but we have lost at Bournemouth and Burnley plus dropped home points against Palace and Swansea.

If we are better than those teams then the manager must be doing sommat wrong in setting our team up.

This is why the more realistic among us, the one's whose heads are not buried in the sand, are miserable and behaving like "turnips".

We have lots to me "miserable" about :cheers:

A ball into the box is only "palpably theirs" if it is not attacked, which is the point I am trying to make. None of our players could be bothered attacking the ball, so it is easy therefore for the GK to claim it under no pressure at all. It doesn't matter if they are a "big, confident" keeper or a short timid one! Allowing a keeper to catch the ball in this way just boosts his confidence and makes him look good. The fault lies jointly with the corner-taker and the attackers: don't they practise corners in training??

Even back in the day when the contact rules were none existent, a ball into the 6yd box or there abouts ( why it was/is called the goal area is lost in the midst of time - were the rules about Keepers once somehow different in this box - or was it just a handy line for the keeper to place the ball for a goalkick?) was always expected to be the keepers.
Now a days when you only have to frown at a keeper to get a yellow card, it is or should always be the keepers unless the keeper is a bottleless wimp.

I do agree that the ball has to be attacked - by both defenders and attackers...but you can't put Cahill's guts into big daft lumps like Lukaku or Barkley, or anybody else for that matter, it's either there or it isn't.

digresses slightly; Say what you like about Osman - and we do - For a little bloke he wasn't afraid to throw his head in amongst the big lads...and score a fair few

Sorry, but not sorry; so again with the back in the day, if you saw the keeper was not coming on a regular basis you tried to put them down his throat as they say - or if he was coming and more often than not claiming the ball, especially if it was only sat 3 or 4 yds out...and remember the keeper has a 2foot reach advantage with his arms...the old cry from the crowd was 'keep it away from the goalie ffs' - not as today - 'beat the first man ffs'

There seem to be some gaps in your knowledge and understanding, which stop you from correctly viewing the bigger picture...well I would say that wouldn't I?

We will, as is said, probably agree to disagree on this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.