Match Thread EVERTON V SOUTHAMPTON Match thread, Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange how teams pre sky league managed with just one sub on the bench, played 42 league games plus all the cups, European games etc. yet you never heard them complaining about being tired playing 2 games a week.

Managers picked their best 11 to start every game. Squad Rotation? Stick it where the sun don't shine.

I'm done with football now.

Strange how teams pre sky league managed with just one sub on the bench, played 42 league games plus all the cups, European games etc. yet you never heard them complaining about being tired playing 2 games a week.

Managers picked their best 11 to start every game. Squad Rotation? Stick it where the sun don't shine.

May as well be done for a while....other than avoiding 18-20th....this season is basically over

So wrong, I'm afraid. forget the penalties, we needed to win this game in 90 minutes. Silva picked a weak side (at least 6 first team players missing) and it all went wrong .

maybe it's just a sign of the times, but the 'first team' simply shouldn't be a thing anymore

good teams don't just have a 'first XI' - they have squads who can slot in and out if needed. We have that as well, just not enough of them, but if we can't beat an equally weakened S'ton team then we're in trouble if we're relying on our 11 best players to be fit all season.

May as well be done for a while....other than avoiding 18-20th....this season is basically over

Telegraph agrees. According to them, our chance of a trophy since 95 ended for another season last night.

FA Cup been binned this year?

i sometimes think this but then tbf players are a hell of a lot fitter these days and hence the opposition are fitter so they have to work a lot more. But if they're fitter that shouldn't be a problem anyway? I dunno, it's a tough one really to compare because you'd expect the standard to be higher, but is it really much better? I don't think so, just have a look at the teams in the league right now, for example.

Alright, perhaps you’re right; let me revise. I care about the EFL Cup results about as much as I care about the U23 league. It’s nice to see success but ultimately those results don’t make much of a difference to me. In fact, I probably care a little more about the U23 league given it promotes future 1st team player development. So yes; you’re right, I do care, just not very much, and when compared to other more relevant competitions it is the lowest priority.

As far as the Trophy statement; who cares? I want trophies that mean something; That stand as a tribute to exceptional teams deserving of recognition. I imagine myself getting elated over a trophy in a competition where most of the top sides never even field their starting 11 and it just leaves a sick taste in my mouth. For that to be what breaks our trophy drought would feel like a consolation prize to forever serve as a reminder that we aren’t good enough to compete in real competitions. Overall, the merit of the team’s accomplishments year in and year out in the EPL, FA Cup, and Europe are what I’ll look to as a measure of success; trophies be damned. We’ll win one when we deserve it and have earned it; not because other sides couldn’t be bothered.

For me mate, the whole point of football is to win things and we've not won anything for 23 years. We started in three competitions this year and we're obviously not winning the league so that leaves the two cups. Just two opportunities for us to win silverware for the first time in over two decades. As for your remarks about the league cup being a consolation prize where most of the top sides never even field their starting 11, this was the starting XI of the team that won last season's: Bravo, Walker, Kompany, Otamendi, Danilo, Gundogan, Silva, Fernandino, De Bruyne, Sane, Aguero. Hardly a gang of reserves.

So you didn't want Bernard to play? And you'd have been happy to start DCL instead of Tosun?

Look, I think there were two or three changes too many. But it's not down to that, not solely anyway.

Also, unless you're a sports scientist who works closely with Everton, you have no idea at all what condition the players are in and if they need to be rested or not. The turnaround for the game yesterday was the same as a home match in the Europa League would be, as well.
I wanted the same team that beat Fulham, unless an injury dictated otherwise

I dont see the point in messing with a winning team when you dont win often as it is.

For me mate, the whole point of football is to win things and we've not won anything for 23 years. We started in three competitions this year and we're obviously not winning the league so that leaves the two cups. Just two opportunities for us to win silverware for the first time in over two decades. As for your remarks about the league cup being a consolation prize where most of the top sides never even field their starting 11, this was the starting XI of the team that won last season's: Bravo, Walker, Kompany, Otamendi, Danilo, Gundogan, Silva, Fernandino, De Bruyne, Sane, Aguero. Hardly a gang of reserves.

No, but that's because City have so much strength in depth.

Plus, that was the team that played in the final. They made a hell of a lot of changes throughout the competition.

I agree that 7 changes the other night was too much. But the fact is people are using the changes as the reason we lost. They aren't.

Anyone who is on that pitch should be good enough to do the basics.

Bernard and Tosun are supposedly first choice for their positions, so that doesn't bode well if we're saying they shouldn't be used. At the moment Davies is first choice, as are Keane, Zouma and Kenny.

Managers picked their best 11 to start every game. Squad Rotation? Stick it where the sun don't shine. I'm done with football now.

That, of course, was the same for both sides. Now clubs can afford bigger squads. If one side can bring in fresh players, then the other must match them.

However, Manchester United under Ferguson were an interesting exception. Ferguson was happy to change his team every week. And it was difficult to say exactly what his best team was. For lesser managers, that would have been a criticism.

What a farce it is to scrap extra time by the way. They could have at least gone to golden goal. Some of the best football matches ever have gone to extra time.

Obviously we can't be having tired footballers having to dig deep physically and psychologically to win a game. That would be just so unfair on these footballers. They are so overworked and underpaid as it is....

Total nonsense.

Yes; that is precisely what I am saying. I want us to compete with and beat the best, and most talented teams.

When the best teams don’t play their best squad unless they make the semifinal, it drastically impacts the quality of the football on display and subsequently the quality of the competition as a whole; as such, Everton winning this competition would not give me any satisfaction as a fan.

Winning this cup is not an indication to the fan base, other teams, or quality players from other teams that Everton is a quality club with great aspirations and a feasible likelihood that those dreams will come to fruition.

If deciding between a season that ends with:
1. This cup win and nothing else of note.
2. EPL 5th place finish and nothing else of note.

I’d bite your hand off for the 5th place finish.
Alright, perhaps you’re right; let me revise. I care about the EFL Cup results about as much as I care about the U23 league. It’s nice to see success but ultimately those results don’t make much of a difference to me. In fact, I probably care a little more about the U23 league given it promotes future 1st team player development. So yes; you’re right, I do care, just not very much, and when compared to other more relevant competitions it is the lowest priority.

As far as the Trophy statement; who cares? I want trophies that mean something; That stand as a tribute to exceptional teams deserving of recognition. I imagine myself getting elated over a trophy in a competition where most of the top sides never even field their starting 11 and it just leaves a sick taste in my mouth. For that to be what breaks our trophy drought would feel like a consolation prize to forever serve as a reminder that we aren’t good enough to compete in real competitions. Overall, the merit of the team’s accomplishments year in and year out in the EPL, FA Cup, and Europe are what I’ll look to as a measure of success; trophies be damned. We’ll win one when we deserve it and have earned it; not because other sides couldn’t be bothered.

With respect mate, that is absolute tosh. You obviously don't have to put up with Liverpool fans constantly taking the mick with '1995' shouts do you?!!

Football clubs exist to win trophies. Not to finish 5th. There's a reason league placings are not included on honours lists unless you finish first - they're irrelevant.

No, but that's because City have so much strength in depth.

Plus, that was the team that played in the final. They made a hell of a lot of changes throughout the competition.

I agree that 7 changes the other night was too much. But the fact is people are using the changes as the reason we lost. They aren't.

Anyone who is on that pitch should be good enough to do the basics.

Bernard and Tosun are supposedly first choice for their positions, so that doesn't bode well if we're saying they shouldn't be used. At the moment Davies is first choice, as are Keane, Zouma and Kenny.

In danger of contradicting yourself there. As you rightly point out 7 changes is too much and it affects the teams momentum without question. We had a front 4 playing who have had zero game time as a unit. Of course the changes are the reason we lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.