Match Thread Everton v Manchester United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly: The explanation given was the line of vision violation I have highlighted below. I do not think Sigurdsson did this, your mileage may vary.

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
  • interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
Secondly: Him moving has nothing to do with him being active. I refer you again to the law as written.

Finally, your head won't fall off if you admit to being mistaken every so often. It doesn't hurt.

This is your assertion. Not mine. And not those of the officials, I might add.

His movement has everything to do with him being active, as per the last two bullet points that you refer to.

Sigurdsson was sitting on the ground motionless. The ball was on course to hit him and he moved out of the way.

This is 'an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball'.

Whether you think De Gea is getting that ball is completely and utterly irrelevant, a referee cannot determine that.

Sigurdsson makes a deliberate and significant movement 2 yards in front of him. Even IF it wasn't in his line of sight, if you're watching the ball and something right in front of you makes a quick movement, it's 100% going to distract you.

Finally, I'm more than happy to admit being mistaken, but because I always strive to learn and to have an informed opinion on any topic of discussion, I so rarely am. I don't consider you mistaken by the way, for me it's simply a difference of opinion and what the game is all about.

That's not what I said lol

I said four key things as to why i didn't think it was a penalty.

1. The ball didn't change drastically change direction, so it didn't prevent a goalscoring opportunity in any way. It's not like we had someone sliding in at the back stick to tap it in without it.
2. No advantage was gained by Spurs from his hand having touched it. It didn't divert it away from a blue shirt and it wasn't used to divert a goal-bound shot away. If anything, it diverted it away from Sanchez and into Richarlison's path..
3. Alli was jumping in mid-air and jostling during a header, he wasn't looking at the ball, therefore it wasn't deliberate.
4. Not a single Everton player claimed for it. Nobody even spotted it. If not for VAR, I'm certain nobody would have even noticed it.

You disagreed, that's fine. I'm sure it will happen again in future lol

None of those things are reasons, none of them are in the rules, you're a boring meff, have a great day mate.

None of those things are reasons, none of them are in the rules, you're a boring meff, have a great day mate.

But they are all factors that refs consider when deciding to give a penalty.

Sorry, what I really meant to say was "Ref's are all corrupt. The FA hates Everton. That's why we're pants"

There you go mate. Have a good day too.

His movement has everything to do with him being active, as per the last two bullet points that you refer to.

Sigurdsson was sitting on the ground motionless. The ball was on course to hit him and he moved out of the way.

This is 'an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball'.

Whether you think De Gea is getting that ball is completely and utterly irrelevant, a referee cannot determine that.

Sigurdsson makes a deliberate and significant movement 2 yards in front of him. Even IF it wasn't in his line of sight, if you're watching the ball and something right in front of you makes a quick movement, it's 100% going to distract you.

Finally, I'm more than happy to admit being mistaken, but because I always strive to learn and to have an informed opinion on any topic of discussion, I so rarely am. I don't consider you mistaken by the way, for me it's simply a difference of opinion and what the game is all about.

The logic of impacting the ability of an opponent to play the ball by removing yourself from the trajectory of the ball is lost on me, but opinions and all that.

As to the assertion. It was the assertion of the premier league on their twitter account last night. I assume they have some sort of contact with their officials before publishing.

I'm not sure I've seen you say we've got a poor decision once.

And I can remember you countless times claiming we got away with one in bizarre scenarios where literally nothing happened. Like with Zaha a few weeks ago.

You're entitled to your opinions. But to claim you are more informed than the rest of us is just ridiculous.

I'm not sure I've seen you say we've got a poor decision once.

And I can remember you countless times claiming we got away with one in bizarre scenarios where literally nothing happened. Like with Zaha a few weeks ago.

You're entitled to your opinions. But to claim you are more informed than the rest of us is just ridiculous.

I haven't lol

I've literally repeated multiple times that I don't consider different opinions 'mistaken' or 'ill informed' - they are just >that< - differences of opinion. To each their own.

And FYI, I said today that we should've had the penalty against Brighton when Dunk dragged Walcott back. I'm able to recognise when we're hard done by.

I'm just not making the leap that we're the victim of some horrendous corrupt system that actively seeks to penalise us and reward the bigger clubs.

I see no evidence of that. Certainly nothing disproportionate by comparison. If others want to believe that and it helps them sleep at night then fair enough, it's just not my bag.

I'm still confused why Carlo was shown a red card for congratulating the referee on a good performance but no sanctions were given to DeGhea and Maguire for shouting in his face after DCL's (disallowed) goal.

I'm still confused why Carlo was shown a red card for congratulating the referee on a good performance but no sanctions were given to DeGhea and Maguire for shouting in his face after DCL's (disallowed) goal.
Maguire was in the refs face the entire game and when they walked off at half time. Fred literally barged into the ref after he got booked shouting in his face to complain which is something you see second yellows for week in week out in leagues like Italy. The ref didn’t say a word to either.

The difference show to the top 6 in this league is absolutely disgraceful.

Maguire was in the refs face the entire game and when they walked off at half time. Fred literally barged into the ref after he got booked shouting in his face to complain which is something you see second yellows for week in week out in leagues like Italy. The ref didn’t say a word to either.

The difference show to the top 6 in this league is absolutely disgraceful.
Its not even top 6 bias, its just Man United bias, as Chelsea recently found out (again when their record defensive signing got the benefit). They have had decisions go their way ever since the PL was created.

Its not even top 6 bias, its just Man United bias, as Chelsea recently found out (again when their record defensive signing got the benefit). They have had decisions go their way ever since the PL was created.
Have a guess who the ref was for that Chelsea game too...

Quicker than that even.
I make it 78 seconds between the ball hitting the back of the net and the VAR decision being made public.
That 78 seconds includes the time the ref took to consult his linesman before calling for a VAR review :rant: :rant: :rant:

Genuine question-
Am I right to think that the ref request a VAR review (after consulting his linesman), or did the VAR people 'recommend' to the ref that the decision should be reviewed?
I think the VAR people recommended he consult his linesman to put pressure on him. Then VAR simply made a quick and flawed decision after the ref went through the pantomime of consultation with the linesman.

3 minutes looking at every angle and every movement and then consulting with each other over the possible disadvantage De Gea had to deal with would have seen the correct decision arrived at. But it was United...and it was Everton...and they shat it.

Just seen the highlights: as others have said, if Man U had scored that, VAR would not have rescinded the goal. Football is big business...commercial interests subordinate sporting considerations.
That is the reality so no use getting hot under the collar over the biases that stem from it.

Everton don’t get the rub of the green, big shocker! Fact of the matter was we had more corners in that game that every other team in the world had had since Ugg McBoulder & his per Lucy started wellying a bit of lava around outside his cave millennia ago! We should have wiped them off the face of the earth but barely troubled a (on the day) very wobbly keeper! That is why we didn’t win lads, the disallowed goal was neither here nor there, all those wasted opportunities meant we only deserved the draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.