Match Thread Everton v Man Citeh

Snickers - have they got smaller over the last 5 years?

• Yes

Votes: 276 93.6%
  • No

Votes: 19 6.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost @Eggs - thought this stat seemed to good to be true. Yes, you're right Ball and Cardamarteri did it both just a few weeks before there 19th birthdays. Wasn't the Derby cos that was Ruddock own goal and Cardamarteri. But they did it versus Arsenal a few weeks before the Derby.

...cheers Matey, I realised reading another thread it was the Arsenal game. Can't be too many clubs who have two sets of teenagers scoring in two Premier League games, especially 4 different lads. Carragher mentioned last night that Everton are brilliant at bringing kids like Davies through. It must help when we approach other young players.

it's a far more competitive league too. The top 6 are so close and any one of them can win it. That doesn't happen in Spain or Germany. Also on any given day a team facing certain relegation can beat the team at the top of the table. Not sure whether its pure arrogance on Pep's part but he's massively underestimated the premierleague which is criminal considering he had the job 6 months before starting and was basically calling the shots whilst still at Bayern. Like you i don't think he's a bad manager but i do think he's lucky and had Martinez had the same Barca and Bayern teams to manage he would have won just as much.

For all that Guardiola has underestimated the Premier League, especially the fitness levels, the variation of tactics and the physicality, i do feel it's unfair and innacurate to suggest that his success at Barcelona was a given and would've happened had they instead appointed a manager who'd go on to get Wigan Athletic relegated. He didn't walk into a successful club, contrary to what people say, Barcelona were an absolute mess, on and off the field. They'd just finished third in the league, behind Villarreal, the team was old and unbalanced, and underperforming players were sitting on huge contracts barely interested in training let alone winning games (comparisons with City here). He fairly swiftly shoed several of them out of the door and promoted Pedro, Busquets, etc, as well as begging Xaxi to stay and had pushed for the club to sign Pique, Alves and others. He systematically rebuilt the club and turned them into the best side in the world. Admittedly this coincided with the emergence of Messi as the world's finest player, but i don't know if raw talent alone would have got him to those heights.

I have much less respect for his achievements at Bayern. I personally think it's a superior league to ours, but undoubtedly easier to win. Bayern have so much financial clout thanks to their relationships with Audi, Adidas and Allianz that it's harder for other clubs to compete, especially with their financial regulations in place. Having said that, Bremen, Wolfsburg and Stuttgart all managed it in recent seasons, as well as Dortmund twice. Bayern fans will tell you that the football under Pep was vastly superior to the coaches who came beforehand, and compared to Ancelotti since, but for me at a club that size, with the resources they have, and given how the other clubs will always cash in on their best players for the right price, not to mention the relative decline of English and Italian clubs as real forces, he really should have won a European Cup there.

...cheers Matey, I realised reading another thread it was the Arsenal game. Can't be too many clubs who have two sets of teenagers scoring in two Premier League games, especially 4 different lads. Carragher mentioned last night that Everton are brilliant at bringing kids like Davies through. It must help when we approach other young players.

Exciting times for exactly that reason yes. Can't help feeling that of all the great youth talent I've heard that we've had coming of age in the last few seasons that I wouldn't have picked Davies over eg Ledson, Dowell, Kenny. Pennington to make the breakthrough . But Davies looked a real talent in unsworth's game in charge last year so not surprised either. That and we seem to be signing some decent youngsters like Stones, Holgate, Lookman, Galloway - don't know if Calvert-lewin is home grown or youth buy-in. But sheeds and unsworth seem to be doing a fantastic job for the last 12-18 months.

Exciting times for exactly that reason yes. Can't help feeling that of all the great youth talent I've heard that we've had coming of age in the last few seasons that I wouldn't have picked Davies over eg Ledson, Dowell, Kenny. Pennington to make the breakthrough . But Davies looked a real talent in unsworth's game in charge last year so not surprised either. That and we seem to be signing some decent youngsters like Stones, Holgate, Lookman, Galloway - don't know if Calvert-lewin is home grown or youth buy-in. But sheeds and unsworth seem to be doing a fantastic job for the last 12-18 months.

...we bought Calvert-Lewin from Sheffield United. You will always hear of promising youngsters, the reality is one or two might come through every few years.

Last edited:
upload_2017-1-16_12-26-17.png

I think its fantastic that theres absolutley no mention of our win on the sky sports website other than the score on the right

View attachment 33436

I think its fantastic that theres absolutley no mention of our win on the sky sports website other than the score on the right
RS rule of media ... if you can't have a story about winning a game then find something else to keep you in the spotlight.

In this case it's a 'row'. Except it wasn't. But evidently more newsworthy than our wholesale demolition of City.

Status
Not open for further replies.