Match Thread Everton v Liverpool - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
And we'll be a different team facing them.

Enjoy the ride. We may get beat, but I for one am enjoying having an optimistic viewpoint going into this game. This feels different mate, and I am not going to ruin it by worrying about them. For once in over 20 years, let them worry about us. I've been on a few fan forums the past few weeks and no one want to play us at the moment. Why should they be any different?

Oh, and just to cheer you up (maybe for world football, but couldn't resist - Sorry mods):

That is priceless! It brought me more joy than is strictly legit.

I am having an argument with my wife about how long I will be allowed to keep our curtains shut after the derby game is finished. Apart from shutting out celebrating reds it is a period of mourning. Or am I being too pessimistic out of habit?

This game is making me queasy already. I hate to say this but we normally go into the Derby with nothing to lose because in general we've been crap for a few years. sometimes its a question of how ugly will it get. a 0-0 draw often feels like a victory... This time it feels like we have something to lose. They'd love to end our little unbeaten run and knock us off the top of the pile. I'll be honest it gives me a very unpleasant feel in the pit of my stomach.

The prospect of James has me both fearful & massively optimistic about the game. He might struggle with the tempo and physicality of the game, but when he picks up a ball on the turn and skips the tackle, which will happen, he will have a blank canvas of space in front of him :dance:

This game is making me queasy already. I hate to say this but we normally go into the Derby with nothing to lose because in general we've been crap for a few years. sometimes its a question of how ugly will it get. a 0-0 draw often feels like a victory... This time it feels like we have something to lose. They'd love to end our little unbeaten run and knock us off the top of the pile. I'll be honest it gives me a very unpleasant feel in the pit of my stomach.

Thats me too.

Then I remember the Villa manager sorted Klopp right out. I am cautiously optimistic that Carlo could do that.

And James. (stay fit and well my sunbeam).

Really good - I do think it's a shame that they have the opportunity to compose themselves, even as a management team if not with the players.

In all seriousness what does this composing of oneself look like for Klopp?

What tactical work can be done in international break?

I think theres something deeper going on here. Theyve not been the same since Watford for me. Confidence has been lost. 3 against Madrid. 5 at City, 3 against Leeds, 3 against Chelsea and now 7 against Villa. This is all in about 15 games.

Maybe energy and the unpredictable nature of derby games get them through the derby, but there is something much deeper going on. And Thiago and has sideways passes will make 0 impact in rectifying it.

Hopefully we will have a full-strength team available, that is a must.

My gut feeling is that the manner of their defeat at Villa is bad for us. It's hard to know how it will affect them, but you would imagine they'll being doing their utmost to atone for that, and no better opportunity than the derby. They may try to keep things tight, but may come out like a runaway train on the other hand.

I'd rather we came at them and went for it, not with abandon, but we have the players to damage them, this is a big opportunity for us and why not go for it properly, using our momentum and their shakiness.

I have given up calling these, but at minimum I want to see us playing with a bit of swagger, a lot of intent, and a lot of grit.

What a game for James to show he is the best player on that pitch. COYB.
Hi

In all seriousness what does this composing of oneself look like for Klopp?

What tactical work can be done in international break?

I think theres something deeper going on here. Theyve not been the same since Watford for me. Confidence has been lost. 3 against Madrid. 5 at City, 3 against Leeds, 3 against Chelsea and now 7 against Villa. This is all in about 15 games.

Maybe energy and the unpredictable nature of derby games get them through the derby, but there is something much deeper going on. And Thiago and has sideways passes will make 0 impact in rectifying it.

Yep - fair point, I think my key point is they will have significant bodies back (that said it's a lottery post international break) Henderson, matip, Mane & thiago are all experienced and I would imagine would have changed the handbreak turn nature (not the result) of the game.

Regarding your point on Thiago, I disagree, what they needed during the villa game was someone to manage it, Calm them down (their heads were completely gone) and manage the ball for a bit.

I agree for sure deeper than a "Freak" and there is no confidence there & when you mix that with high-line and a bad keeper we saw the car crash. I don't know enough about his time at Dortmund, but assuming when it went to pot, it was similar issues. Will be interesting to see if he can learn from the past, i have my doubts

Status
Not open for further replies.