Match Thread Everton v Liverpool - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We can beat these Saturday. Im just going to be as positive as I can. Not be nervous, enjoy the build up and expect us to win. See if it makes any difference!
We have a very good team and some players in top form. Loads of momentum and confidence. They've just been spanked and have their keeper injured. Ill be all over that $3.50 on offer ;)

I was just thinking about how recent derbies haven't really been particularly "fiery", and a quick look through the record books bears that out - the last five derbies in the past two seasons (including the FA Cup derby last season) has seen a total of just eight Everton yellow cards and no reds at an average of 1.6 yellow cards a game.

We've had a weird deference to the RS in the past few derbies - and while we haven't conceded many goals recently (the 2-5 in December aside) we've always started horrifically slowly, setting the tempo for the game, inevitably though the RS build up pressure and more often than not, we crack.

I'd love for us to be right at 'em from the off on Saturday. Not advocating leg-breakers of course, but get in their faces, tough challenges, close them down and chase them all over the pitch. Hopefully an Allan/Doucoure give us a Neville-on-Ronaldo moment from 2008.

If we unsettle them and get a relatively early goal, given what happened previously at Villa Park, we can expose that fragility in their defence again. Villa/Leeds have give the entire Premier League a template on how to approach playing them.

Why do I get the bad feeling that the players that are 'fit' like Gomes, Coleman, Allan, Digne if he makes it... Will end up hobbling off with reoccurrence of injury by 60 minutes.

Probs cause it happened to Richy and it’s still fresh in your subconscious.

I was just thinking about how recent derbies haven't really been particularly "fiery", and a quick look through the record books bears that out - the last five derbies in the past two seasons (including the FA Cup derby last season) has seen a total of just eight Everton yellow cards and no reds at an average of 1.6 yellow cards a game.

We've had a weird deference to the RS in the past few derbies - and while we haven't conceded many goals recently (the 2-5 in December aside) we've always started horrifically slowly, setting the tempo for the game, inevitably though the RS build up pressure and more often than not, we crack.

I'd love for us to be right at 'em from the off on Saturday. Not advocating leg-breakers of course, but get in their faces, tough challenges, close them down and chase them all over the pitch. Hopefully an Allan/Doucoure give us a Neville-on-Ronaldo moment from 2008.

If we unsettle them and get a relatively early goal, given what happened previously at Villa Park, we can expose that fragility in their defence again. Villa/Leeds have give the entire Premier League a template on how to approach playing them.
Agree with your points but think part of the lack of cards is due to them getting away with murder. I refer specifically to the 5-2 Anfield match last season where Trent-Alexander did 2 obvious yellow challenge and a deliberate handball. Result - 1 yellow card.

Not saying we would have won. But would at least like it to be fair.

I'm hoping Allen will be mainly responsible for kicking those red rats back into the sewer they crawled out of.

Yep rats widely known for occupying abandoned places like dumps, derelict buildings.. Anfield.

I have a feeling they are going to try and hurt James early...
I agree with you 100%.This is why I feel we need to let em know this is the new Everton.If they want to come out pass and play we can play too.Everton finally have a few players who can pick a pass forward and open up a defence.Especially a defence that plays such a high line.On the other hand if the likes of Robertson,Henderson etc want a scrap,we now have a few players who will oblige em.Doucoure or Allan to get in Robertson's face early and let em know who the new boss is.

Status
Not open for further replies.