Match Thread Everton v Lincoln City, FA Cup, Preview, Report & MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the expression is ‘hollowed out’. Marco looks empty, devoid of spirit...and terrified. It’s like he getting nightly visits from the bloke with pins in his face from that Hellraiser movie.

I think he looks like he needs a few months in some salubrious location...a sanatorium in Switzerland perhaps.

Everton has terrorised the poor fella. I hope his situation is not terminal...but I fear the worst.
Not long before the cracks appear and it's full on meltdown in a presser... it's a Portuguese trait.. also see .. mourinho

....we just need to win. If we are going to win the FA Cup, we will need to beat whoever we are up against, whether it’s Lincoln or Manchester City.
I know we will have to beat a top side eventually but no harm wanting to play crap sides until the final when hopefully we have to play a champions league finalists with one eye on the final 10 days later.

A ball coming into a keepers 6 yard box (IMO) he should be coming out to claim it, whether he has defenders in front of him or not, and if needs be he goes right through whoever is standing in his way.

I played as a defender and played with some good goalkeepers, the one quality they all had in common was that they commanded their area. As a defender you needed to know your keeper would be taking all balls in a certain area. Keepers can use their hands, yours hands catch the ball and extend further than your neck. Goalkeepers have a distinct advantage and good ones make use of that advantage.

I remember in a game catching my own keeper with my boot. The forward and I were chasing a through ball, I got to it first, forward second, keeper third. The keeper was hurt and bleeding, he was swearing like a trooper. I apologised profusely, I thought he was annoyed at me kicking him. He then said, it is my own fault, I own this area, I should have had the ball and emptied both of you. Generally defenders didn't get in his way as we knew he would go through you, in his area he only seen the ball and it was his job to get it. It made life easier when you knew your goalkeeper would come and snuff out all problems by getting the ball in his hands.

I didnt watch, but perhaps their goal, which sounded a bit soft, gave them a shot in the arm? They are a decent team, in form apparently, with 5000 fans getting over excited. Happens year in year out in the 3rd round.

The anomaly in the matches so far was Spurs putting 7 past Tranmere, not Everton having an unexpected, (league position wise), battle against a spirited visitor.

It did to an extent but we started creating our own problems. There was no composure mate, nobody getting hold on the pitch and talking.

It carried on right through the second half as well.

I wasn't expecting a tonking, but we started well enough to know that we were by far the better team and could easily have had more. Had DCL done what he should have done and set Gylfi up with a simple pass, it may have been different. But ah well, a win's a win.

Not long before the cracks appear and it's full on meltdown in a presser... it's a Portuguese trait.. also see .. mourinho
Yes, it’s called ‘the Iberian Syndrome ‘...Spanish blokes are equally affected. It’s one of the reasons I refuse to fly on Iberia Airlines. If the pilot of the plane I’m flying on looks terrified, I ain’t boarding...

Yes, it’s called ‘the Iberian Syndrome ‘...Spanish blokes are equally affected. It’s one of the reasons I refuse to fly on Iberia Airlines. If the pilot of the plane I’m flying on looks terrified, I ain’t boarding...
How do you pronounce your name mush?

It did to an extent but we started creating our own problems. There was no composure mate, nobody getting hold on the pitch and talking.

It carried on right through the second half as well.

I wasn't expecting a tonking, but we started well enough to know that we were by far the better team and could easily have had more. Had DCL done what he should have done and set Gylfi up with a simple pass, it may have been different. But ah well, a win's a win.
Yes you're right as we're through to the next round which is the most important thing; how we achieved the result can to an extent will be forgotten if we progress.

Yet, what worries me is that today we were making the same mistakes that we see in PL games: lack of composure; not creating changes; lack of being clinical.

I was hoping today would be a chance for players to express themselves, show their quality and improve confidence. Instead, we're looking at the same woes.

All credit to Lincoln by the way as I think they played their own game very, very well.

Yes you're right as we're through to the next round which is the most important thing; how we achieved the result can to an extent will be forgotten if we progress.

Yet, what worries me is that today we were making the same mistakes that we see in PL games: lack of composure; not creating changes; lack of being clinical.

I was hoping today would be a chance for players to express themselves, show their quality and improve confidence. Instead, we're looking at the same woes.

All credit to Lincoln by the way as I think they played their own game very, very well.

Agree mate

Status
Not open for further replies.