Match Thread Everton v Leeds United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Delph even fit? If he is I wouldn't mind him in the midfield screening the back 4 with Allan which would allow Doucoure to cover James and let him roam when in posession.

Davies energy is useful but he seems another who looks good off the bench but never great when starting a game.

He’s probably not available Delph but it would be silly to play anybody but Nkounkou out there today, he’s the only player in the same mould as Digne we’ve got.

I honestly don’t know how Ancellotti will set us up today.

Think it the lads wil be up for it m. They know what’s coming so I think we will go guns blazing if Carlo craps the bed and goes defensive then we are doomed and not looking good for the season either. Let’s hope guns a blazing

If we were playing someone who were likely to come here and park the bus we'd be saying we need to score first and they'll have to come out and we
could counter attack and hit them on the break. So, we know, or at least we expect Leeds to attack from the start and keep attacking.

What's the difference? They're going to leave themselves open at the back and we can exploit that if we're as good going forward as we believe we are.

Yes, I know our defence is our weakness and they might score first, but they've just come up and we're better than them.

The rumour of four Centre halves with Holgate at left back has to be a joke I hope ........

That would just be ridiculously defensive and completely unbalanced. I get Nkounkou defensively hasn’t been tested much but he’s the closest player to Digne we’ve got. He’s a natural wide player and him getting up and down the field with his pace will drag their fullback away leaving space for Richarlison to do his thing.

If Delph is available I’d give him a run out in the middle but ask him to sit deep and cover for Nkounkou as he gets forward. Gomes is just a massive liability when it comes to any covering or defensive responsibilities.

If we were playing someone who were likely to come here and park the bus we'd be saying we need to score first and they'll have to come out and we
could counter attack and hit them on the break. So, we know, or at least we expect Leeds to attack from the start and keep attacking.

What's the difference? They're going to leave themselves open at the back and we can exploit that if we're as good going forward as we believe we are.

Yes, I know our defence is our weakness and they might score first, but they've just come up and we're better than them.
Exactly this. They have only beaten Sheffield utd and fulham this season who everyone beats and they won away to villa and villa lose at home to everyone. While I respect Leeds, I certainly think we have far superior players and if set up correctly today we should win this pretty easily

We'll get over run in midfield if we go with 343 imo.

For me i would go old school Davey Moyes 451 and swamp the midfield - wouldn't be pretty but think we would nick it.

Pickford

Holgate Keane Godfrey Nkounkou

Iwobi Allan Doucoure Richarlison
James
DCL

Failing that at the minimum I would go 433 with Davies alongside Allan/Doucoure.
Ancellotti has shown he can coach teams to adopt a different formation in possession / attack to defence:

Defending: Nkounkou dropping to left back with Holgate covering at right back. Richarlison contributing to the defence of the left flank and being an outlet for switches in possession. James given free / 10 role in either formation, DCL staying up top. Holgate would be right back only in defence - no responsibility to get forward as once in possession he would tuck into right sided centre back in the attack formation

-------------Pickford-----------------

Holgate Keane Godfrey Nkounkou

Iwobi---Allan--Doucoure-Richarlison
-------------James-------------------
--------------DCL--------------------

Attacking: Nkounkou gets forward allowing Richarlison to join DCL and Allan screens the back 3. Godfrey has the pace to cover Nkounkou if he loses possession:

--------------Pickford--------------

-----Holgate Keane Godfrey----
---------------Allan------------------
Iwobi-------Doucoure---Nkounkou
--------------James-----------------
----------DCL-----Richarlison------

Not confident at all. Worst thing is that I live in a house with three Leeds fans :D

They have everything to hurt us. Pace and loads of energy. We're on our arses after 45 minutes.

We have a lot to hurt them but I think we'll play a back three - down to Digne's injury - but if we're not careful the entire game could be like the second half v Fulham, with us pinned right back.

Hope I'm wrong.

The thing we have to not do today which i hate us doing at the best of times, is the silly back passes or the playing around from keeper to defender [vice/verse] when our players are like in the 6 yard box, as we seen even last week the speed the Leeds players close the keeper down when Arsenal were playing the back passes
Totally agree! It drives me crazy when Everton plays back passes like that and I have noticed they do it too often for my liking. It just such unnecessary danger specially when you are playing against a team that has quick players.

Not confident at all. Worst thing is that I live in a house with three Leeds fans :D

They have everything to hurt us. Pace and loads of energy. We're on our arses after 45 minutes.

We have a lot to hurt them but I think we'll play a back three - down to Digne's injury - but if we're not careful the entire game could be like the second half v Fulham, with us pinned right back.

Hope I'm wrong.
I bet they make you do the dishes n’all.

The thing we have to not do today which i hate us doing at the best of times, is the silly back passes or the playing around from keeper to defender [vice/verse] when our players are like in the 6 yard box, as we seen even last week the speed the Leeds players close the keeper down when Arsenal were playing the back passes
The great thing is they then give it to Pickford who boots it somewhere upfield and we lose possession anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.