Match Thread Everton v Leeds United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless he has somehow forgotten every tactic he has learned over many decades, then I would say yes he is
Tactics become outdated fairly quickly and the best managers move with them. Those that don't go from jobs like Inter Milan & Liverpool to Crystal Palace. Whilst I hope you're right he has a massive job on his hands and dropping all of your available fullbacks doesn't make a lot of sense to an amateur like me.

It's hard for our players to be cynical when they don't press, aren't fit enough to get close to players and are so sluggish and sloppy in possession.

I'm fuming at Carlo.

It's basic stuff. There should be no way we are getting so visibly outrun in matches.

I'd rather get relegated then have another endless streak of seasons of mid table mediocrity. We have an intensly loyal fan base but I can't help but think if the club manages to mess it up with Carlo at the helm and a team with Rodriguez, the PLs top scorer and player of Richarlisons calibre will peoples patience wear thin

Yesterday Leeds outran us by 3k.

They had 29 more sprints than us.

They spent slightly less time walking/jogging, more time running and more time sprinting.

They did actually tire in the second half after that blistering opening but we were so shot we couldn't take advantage of it.

It's not all of the issues. We need better players and the manager needs to be playing round pegs in round holes but in this league, fitness gets you halfway there.

Yesterday Leeds outran us by 3k.

They had 29 more sprints than us.

They spent slightly less time walking/jogging, more time running and more time sprinting.

They did actually tire in the second half after that blistering opening but we were so shot we couldn't take advantage of it.

It's not all of the issues. We need better players and the manager needs to be playing round pegs in round holes but in this league, fitness gets you halfway there.

Have we outrun any team this season? Genuinely curious to work out how many for/against games we've had so far.

I think we should have mixed it up a bit more, especially towards the end. Perhaps we should have played to our strengths by pushing Keane up with Dom and subjected them to an aerial bombardment of long balls that would have tested the keeper more and kept their agile midfield out of things, Mina being the better option for sub at that point than Bernard.

Bielsa appears to work on the premise that goals are only likely when the ball is in the box, and to this end, I reckon that we should sacrifice some of the possession football that seems to be getting us nowhere.

Have we outrun any team this season? Genuinely curious to work out how many for/against games we've had so far.

I'll have to have a look.

I view it like this: Start of the season, no team was fit. Look at that Spurs game when both teams were basically on their a****.

We were able to use the League Cup games to build up a bit of match fitness through the squad. But the PL games were still iffy and we have players who are technically far better than the teams we faced in games 2-4, and we deservedly got the wins.

From that Brighton game on, though, i reckon we will have been outrun by every team other than maybe Newcastle (and that's a tactical thing really as they sit so deep).

It's not the be all and end all. If we could control the ball better then fitness wouldn't come into play as much as we'd do less chasing. But it's a vicious cycle because the unfitter you are, the more you lose the ball, the more chasing you have to do.

I'd heard a lot about this lad but hadn't seen much of him before yesterday. Very impressed, looks like he has everything to his game, defensively sound, a playmaker, some of those balls he was pinging about James would have been proud of, he's a proper baller.

He's a classic number 6. England should be building their midfield around him.

He's basically exactly the type of player you need at the base of a 4-3-3 or 4-1-4-1.

Other systems expose him but Leeds play to his strengths, and he's very good. Not a world-beater but only 24. Strong, crisp passer, good tackler.

We don't get near him at all.

We are so unfit.

That doesn't look like fitness as such it looks like him being given acres of space because nobody was pressuring or marking him. It surprises me Carlo didn't make changes it was obvious early on. It does seem Carlo doesn't favour high press and high intensity though which is worrying

The ironic thing is they haven’t beat us at goodison in the prem. That means when we had Moyes and had to sell players every summer to survive. While they where getting into the champions league semi final. We held that record. Then they get relegated up and down the lower leagues they come back to find moshiri Everton with Carlo and swat us on first attempt.

Like Jesus. I know mosh is trying but it’s been a drastic failure compared to Moyes era so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.