Match Thread Everton v Leeds United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
No left footer along the whole left side was dodgy. Got 3 players up one side of the pitch that all come inside onto their strong foot.

He cocked up but he won't change, this is the issue.

His distrust of younger players would be fine if we had a squad of ready made replacements. But in most posiitons, we don't, so he has to start putting round pegs in round holes.

Leeds also missed clear cut chances in the first half. It didn’t stop them going on and winning the game. It’s a complete non-statement from the manager.

I'm just not in the mood to put all the blame on the manager when there are players on the pitch who I dont think are good enough to play for the club. I'm pretty down about the club at the minute especially after that second half today, but I'm fed up with this useless squad getting a pass. Our problems are far far deeper than any manager.

We have a DOF who has spent hundreds of millions to assemble a squad where we are always an injury away from a crisis. We have a bench full of players who we all know cant come on and change the game. I'm fed up with the club and the losing mentality.

He cocked up but he won't change, this is the issue.

His distrust of younger players would be fine if we had a squad of ready made replacements. But in most posiitons, we don't, so he has to start putting round pegs in round holes.

Maybe Carlo is only thinking in the short term with his policy on youth. Although of course we still do have a few younger players but they can’t be dropped anyway.

Maybe Carlo is only thinking in the short term with his policy on youth. Although of course we still do have a few younger players but they can’t be dropped anyway.
It's not really about short or long term though.

Our back-up left-back is Nkounkou. That's it. He should play if Digne is out. No ifs or buts.

If Carlo wasn't happy with that, then he should have demanded that we get another left-back and then it's on Brands (maybe he did, but I doubt it).

I don't care really whether he wants to play young players or not. I want him to play the players that will help us win the game.

In the case of a left-back, or left wing-back, then that choice should never be 'Iwobi/Delph or Nkkounkou'. It should be Nkounkou, because he is the natural in that position.

He is fiddling with our team so much in order not to play youngsters. If that was the case, he should have instructed Brands to go out and get players he sees as ready made to fill in.

If Brands didn't do that, then that's on him.

It's not really about short or long term though.

Our back-up left-back is Nkounkou. That's it. He should play if Digne is out. No ifs or buts.

If Carlo wasn't happy with that, then he should have demanded that we get another left-back and then it's on Brands (maybe he did, but I doubt it).

I don't care really whether he wants to play young players or not. I want him to play the players that will help us win the game.

In the case of a left-back, or left wing-back, then that choice should never be 'Iwobi/Delph or Nkkounkou'. It should be Nkounkou, because he is the natural in that position.

He is fiddling with our team so much in order not to play youngsters. If that was the case, he should have instructed Brands to go out and get players he sees as ready made to fill in.

If Brands didn't do that, then that's on him.

But that’s what I mean by short term thinking. Maybe Carlo just wants to put experienced square pegs in round holes just because they’re experienced.

People say Nkounkou isn’t ready but how’s he ever meant to be ready when he’s not played. If the only other LB in the squad gets a long term injury and you’re not even making the bench then I’d be concerned.

But that’s what I mean by short term thinking. Maybe Carlo just wants to put experienced square pegs in round holes just because they’re experienced.

People say Nkounkou isn’t ready but how’s he ever meant to be ready when he’s not played. If the only other LB in the squad gets a long term injury and you’re not even making the bench then I’d be concerned.
It's daft.

This is where someone like a Ferguson, imo, should be discussing these things with Carlo.

Ancelotti simply cannot keep treating us like we're a world class squad whose players are versatile enough to play a few positions well. We haven't got that.

As such, it needs to be round pegs, round holes. Not faffing with a player who is frankly only decent when able to run in a straight line at left wing-back and then on the other side playing Davies there, when we had two full-backs not even in the squad.

For all the stick, Pickford made some important saves.

He did, but he was also all over the place on crosses and wants to be involved when he doesn't need to be.

I don't like criticising our players and many people go over the top but he's a problem. He's made noticeable errors in almost all of our games this season, some which led to goals against us, but it's almost like until his error costs us points he'll retain his place.

He's one of quite a few whose attitude we need rid of to improve.

He certainly wasn't the biggest problem today. The passing was atrocious from all and some usually reliable player's had really bad games and made poor decisions.

I didn't mean for this response to be so long but today was one of the rare occasions that I questioned why I involve so much of my time into this club.

He did, but he was also all over the place on crosses and wants to be involved when he doesn't need to be.

I don't like criticising our players and many people go over the top but he's a problem. He's made noticeable errors in almost all of our games this season, some which led to goals against us, but it's almost like until his error costs us points he'll retain his place.

He's one of quite a few whose attitude we need rid of to improve.

He certainly wasn't the biggest problem today. The passing was atrocious from all and some usually reliable player's had really bad games and made poor decisions.

I didn't mean for this response to be so long but today was one of the rare occasions that I questioned why I involve so much of my time into this club.
Still beats pigeon fancying!

But honestly, I don't think he is.

He keeps making the same stupid decions.

His active distrust in Gordon and Nkounkou is clear to see and in a case like today has seen us field a totally imbalanced side.

He keeps playing Pickford. WTF has he dropped Olsen from the bench for today?

In the second half, it was clear our system wasn't working from an attacking POV. He brings on Delph and Gomes, yet doesn't change the shape and shifts Doucoure to a RWB role.

He is making awful calls and that has to change.
You honestly don't believe one of the top managers in the world is trying to improve his team? That's seriously what you believe?

As regards our poor performances, I think a consideration impacting this, one we should not underestimate, is the ravages that homesickness is inflicting on the team.
We first saw it with Snail Keane, then Wisdom Lookman, and now Crab Iwobi, Xmas Mina, Dirty Rodrigues, have all succumbed. Even the manager looks homesick. And look at how Disinclined Kean’s game has changed since leaving us...no longer homesick you see.
What’s the answer? I genuinely do not know. My real expertise on the subject stems from my camping trip with Ross Pottinger. I tried a hard edged approach back then and simply told Potty to stop being a sissy. I am unsure whether you would be allowed to call someone that anymore as I believe there is a sector within the LGBTV community that like to dress up as women, be dominated by men or women...and are termed ‘sissies’.
I imagine they might take umbrage if we called a blubbering homesick footie player a sissy. ...hmmmm....I wonder if perhaps homesickness might be the reason blokes dress up as women???...
...whatever, it’s a rum do!!
What the hell are you on about?

You honestly don't believe one of the top managers in the world is trying to improve his team? That's seriously what you believe?
Is he really still one of the top managers in the world? Sure, he was and there is not a better manager in world football that would even consider coming to us. But... Is he really still at the top table?

Leeds are a nice team to watch, they play good football, I'll give them that. They are also very cynical, know when to stop you playing, by fair means and foul. I lost count today over the fouls they were making, cynical, professional fouls all over the pitch, they got one booking throughout and another one right near the end, Kavanagh, was far too friendly with them and let them off with far too much. They do close down very well, their coach has them well drilled and they have a tall commanding keeper.
Allan was our best player by a Country mile today and I thought we played quite well and should have got something out of that game.
Thought the three centre backs played well and looked good together and will get better the more we play, but we missed our fullback today I thought. Iwobi had another good game, but Ritchie today was off his game and I think needs a goal. We will play worse and win, Leeds are a decent team.

Agree strongly with your first paragraph.

Leeds were masters of the dark arts but they also outplayed and out worked an Everton team at Goodison.

Id be surprised if we won this with that shocking selection...

Fingers crossed our forwards carry us on...

Iwobi was shocking...

Cant see how Nkounkou could have been worse...even Gordon at LWB may have been a massive roll of the dice but Iwobis performance was shocking...

Though not surprising...

Status
Not open for further replies.