Match Thread Everton v Leeds United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think that we didn’t cut you open I don’t know what to say...

You can call us workmanlike or whatever back handed compliment you want.

Top & bottom of it your “quality players” were outplayed by our “championship plodders”

Just to add in, the inly person to deny they were cut open was you. I find that very odd. We played poorly today, and off the top of my head I can think of;
1) James's goal, offside by inches
2) The legitimate goal we seemed to score that was ruled out off your guys back
3) A free header 6 yards out for Keane
4) A free shot 6 yards out for Holgate
5) A free [Poor language removed] 6 yards out for Doucoure
6) 2 shots, 10 yards out for Richarlinson
7) A decent hit from the edge of the box, from Richarlinson.

That was just the first half. I mean if you think you were solid and not cut open, you are living in dreamworld mate. You won the game and did a lot of things well in the game, but honestly you are wide open. We have scored 4's and 5's multiple times this season and you are the easiest team to get out I've seen. Today Richarlinson and Calvert Lewin didnt have their scoring boots on. It happens. We were not at our best either way, so in spite of the plethora of chances we had, I can see we didn't deserve a win.

Just finished watching it. Shocking the amount of times we turn the ball over with wayward passes, simple passes, whilst a team just up from the championship confidently knock it around. Some of our players are a disgrace. A keeper who made good saves but can't do the basics.

The formation doesn't suit Richarlison. The formation sucks.

rubbish.

I didn't deny you cut us open on occasions- though in truth we were architects of our own downfall. I question the notion you "outplayed" us when you're goalkeeper was your best player and the best player on the pitch.

You are workmanlike. It's not an insult. You said greater than the sum of your parts, which I'd also agree with. Your team work very hard and put opponents under pressure, and know their game.

I am not sure I called all of our players "quality" so I'm not sure where you are getting that from? Nor did I call you "plodders".

So if you want to have a serious debate, which I'm happy to have, can we at least start on te basis of you stick to what I write, rather than what you think I wrote, and also not stick things in quotes that I haven't said (just to insinuate that I have).

I will reiterate it's hardly "top and bottom" of it at all. You got two favourable VAR calls (one which was perplexing) at 0-0, whereby we missed countless other clear opportunities in a game where your goalkeeper was comfortable MOM. You then hit us with a long range shot (which was a great goal). It's not any definition out "outplaying" in any reasonable definition of it. I suspect you adjust your own bias glasses, rather than worrying about how anyone else views the game lad. You keep living in that fiction though, it's the same fiction that probably leads you to think you are going to not be involved in a relegation dogfight over the next 2 years.
by favourable var calls you mean two correct calls from the linesman, correctly backed up by var? which of them was perplexing - the one where rodriguez was offside or the one where godfrey was miles offside standing right in front of the keeper and going for the ball as the ball went in?

by favourable var calls you mean two correct calls from the linesman, correctly backed up by var? which of them was perplexing - the one where rodriguez was offside or the one where godfrey was miles offside standing right in front of the keeper and going for the ball as the ball went in?

Well they were both favourable for Leeds. James was marginally offside, but yes offside. Fortunate for Leeds, as if he's 6 inches further back, he's still scoring that goal.

The 2nd, was off the Leeds defender, so he can't be stood "miles offside" as you put it, because you can't be offside from a Leeds player. So unless you don't know the rules of offside, that cannot be "correct" as you put it. Had the goal gone in, we probably pick Leeds apart like we did better sides such as Brighton in the 2nd half on the counter.

However, we had enogh chances other than that to get any number of goals. We didn't take them. If you do that, or rather fail to do that, you can't have many complaints.

Leeds got a big rub of the green today though, that is undoubted.

I

Ok, point taken. We don't look the fittest side in the league, but we spend so much time chasing after the ball after giving it away so often we are bound to tire more quickly. If we could control games better by passing it better, that would be something.

The extra fitness sessions organised by the players At Munich is a worrying fact and may explain why we look so slow/knackered.

On that point, were those extra sessions exclusively fitness sessions or were extra offensive/attacking drills done by the players also. I wouldn't be surprised if they were because I can see no evidence that we are well drilled enough in the opposition half. Anyone know about the Munich situation?
They were extra fitness sessions I believe

Carlo needs to sort it

Well they were both favourable for Leeds. James was marginally offside, but yes offside. Fortunate for Leeds, as if he's 6 inches further back, he's still scoring that goal.

The 2nd, was off the Leeds defender, so he can't be stood "miles offside" as you put it, because you can't be offside from a Leeds player. So unless you don't know the rules of offside, that cannot be "correct" as you put it. Had the goal gone in, we probably pick Leeds apart like we did better sides such as Brighton in the 2nd half on the counter.

However, we had enogh chances other than that to get any number of goals. We didn't take them. If you do that, or rather fail to do that, you can't have many complaints.

Leeds got a big rub of the green today though, that is undoubted.
We were crap

The problem is, under our structure we never know how much is the manager/coach's fault, and how much it is down to Marcel "tailor's dummy" Brands.
It’s on Carlo to pick at least one of our available back-up full-backs in the squad
It’s on brands to make sure we’re not down to bare bones after one injury and get players in that we need
Just think what getting someone like Raphinia in could have done for us at the end of the window

If you think that we didn’t cut you open I don’t know what to say...

You can call us workmanlike or whatever back handed compliment you want.

Top & bottom of it your “quality players” were outplayed by our “championship plodders”
Don't get ahead of yourself. Norwich and Sheffield Utd beat us at home last season, now look at them.

Most of our chances came from set pieces from the boot of james. We didn't exactly cut Leeds open from our wonderful attacking play did we? so yes, we were crap offensively, everywhere to be honest, and relied too heavily on dead ball situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.