Match Thread Everton v Leeds United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think that we didn’t cut you open I don’t know what to say...

You can call us workmanlike or whatever back handed compliment you want.

Top & bottom of it your “quality players” were outplayed by our “championship plodders”
You’re a good side

we should be beating you, but you’re fitter than us and have some quality players - one of them provided the moment of quality that settled it

I really don't feel like doing that but I thought we were fine. We were bad at Fulham I'll freely admit but today I didn't think it was the same which is why I feel like it is mentality. Fulham and Brighton (and maybe others) we thought it was job done and just eased off because we thought we could and not because we couldn't keep going.
I have no idea what you think is good football if you thought today was fine

Top & bottom of it your “quality players” were outplayed by our “championship plodders”

You created a lot of chances and deserved to win, but equally we should/could have scored first half and its a different game. Doucoure scores that sitter after 8 mins or one of the marginal offsides goes the other way and I think we win the game.

We couldn't match the work rate and got outnumbered in midfield. Thats all credit to Leeds but not what I expect from an Everton team at Goodison. Its becoming far too often an occurrence.

Give me the Leeds squad and their mentality every day of the week. Thats what I expect an Everton team to play like. Our recruitment has ruined the identity of the club.

I just dont think its all fitness. You can always be fitter and work harder but I think its a mentality more than anything.

There's no leadership on the park and not enough aggression. I hate seeing us be outworked and outmuscled. We always leave the pitch with more in the tank. Philips was absolutely knackered by the end because he left everything out there. That's mentality more than stamina.
I don’t think it’s all fitness. But fitness is a platform to build from.

If we were creating good chances all game and just not finishing them etc, i’d agree, but we are so predictable in the second half of matches at the moment

you start with the basics, and Carlo isn’t doing that. On top of that he’s playing square pegs in round holes - and those square pegs happen to be players that mostly shouldn’t be at the club

There is no excuse for not having either of your back-up full-backs not even in the 18 and instead playing Delph and Doucoure there. None. That’s on Ancelotti and nobody else

I thought the effort and intensity were fine. Obviously we need to play better but I wouldn't put it down to desire, effort, fitness etc. It was tactics and ability.
But we’re knackered after 40 minutes

while we were open in the first half, we at least gave them problems too. After half-time we offered zero going forward bar long balls to DCL to do it all by himself, and we were still just as open at the back

But we’re knackered after 40 minutes

while we were open in the first half, we at least gave them problems too. After half-time we offered zero going forward bar long balls to DCL to do it all by himself, and we were still just as open at the back
But we also weren't open in the second half.

Its not just fitness, its a mentality thing.

We were usually second to every second ball and lost out in 50 50 challenges. We have too many passengers who don't really care if we win or lose. The result doesn't matter to them.

There's no expectation or standards to.be met at Everton. Is it any wonder players come here and aren't all that arsed.

That Godfrey mistake just summed it all up. Get out and stop the shot, its basic stuff. But he didn't show the determination to do it. Hes not the only one by any means, its just an obvious example.
I guess that is key. Under Moyes we always had players with a really good work ethic. Everyone since then has seemed to not put a premium on attitude, and it biting us again and again. This isn't Carlo's fault though, this lies at the door of Brands.

I
We have some quick players
But they were all knackered after 40 minutes

I could be as quick as Usain Bolt but if I can’t run for more than 40 minutes, I’m not going to be able to get close to another side, am I?

Ok, point taken. We don't look the fittest side in the league, but we spend so much time chasing after the ball after giving it away so often we are bound to tire more quickly. If we could control games better by passing it better, that would be something.

The extra fitness sessions organised by the players At Munich is a worrying fact and may explain why we look so slow/knackered.

On that point, were those extra sessions exclusively fitness sessions or were extra offensive/attacking drills done by the players also. I wouldn't be surprised if they were because I can see no evidence that we are well drilled enough in the opposition half. Anyone know about the Munich situation?

Carlo needs to be better.

Half of the team that started today is new.

They were knackered after 40 minutes.

It's not all of our issue, no, but until we get fitter, we won't compete.

On top of that, we have players who aren't good / brave enough, and a manager making crap decisions.

On top of that, we have a DoF / transfer strategy that is incredibly naive.
The problem is, under our structure we never know how much is the manager/coach's fault, and how much it is down to Marcel "tailor's dummy" Brands.

I didn't deny you cut us open on occasions- though in truth we were architects of our own downfall. I question the notion you "outplayed" us when you're goalkeeper was your best player and the best player on the pitch.

You are workmanlike. It's not an insult. You said greater than the sum of your parts, which I'd also agree with. Your team work very hard and put opponents under pressure, and know their game.

I am not sure I called all of our players "quality" so I'm not sure where you are getting that from? Nor did I call you "plodders".

So if you want to have a serious debate, which I'm happy to have, can we at least start on te basis of you stick to what I write, rather than what you think I wrote, and also not stick things in quotes that I haven't said (just to insinuate that I have).

I will reiterate it's hardly "top and bottom" of it at all. You got two favourable VAR calls (one which was perplexing) at 0-0, whereby we missed countless other clear opportunities in a game where your goalkeeper was comfortable MOM. You then hit us with a long range shot (which was a great goal). It's not any definition out "outplaying" in any reasonable definition of it. I suspect you adjust your own bias glasses, rather than worrying about how anyone else views the game lad. You keep living in that fiction though, it's the same fiction that probably leads you to think you are going to not be involved in a relegation dogfight over the next 2 years.

Got it wrong today with the wingback situation.

Iwobi was good last match on the right, should have left him there and started Nkounkou on the left.

James comes in from the right and looks left almost 90% of the time while also dragging defenders with him which helps the right sided player have space.. That's why it was good to have Iwobi on the right carrying the ball to him. But on the left you need a LB who will make overlapping runs.

With the setup today, we had bo withdt at all. Iwobi did not make the runs to stretch the field and on top of that Richy had a howler of a match.

I trust Carlo but he got it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.