Match Thread Everton v Crystal Palace - Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The worst part about last night was no one was surprised when they scored. It felt inevitable.

Nothing from last night changes my opinion. We have 4-5 good players and 1 somewhat fragile superstar in James but and after that we are bang average. We’ve not been able to play our best 11, the team scoring for fun and looking great at the start of the season once since the first derby and that was back in October. An entire new midfield, Carlo’s midfield will have played 6 games together all season… I mean, there’s bad luck and then there’s us.

The players we’re forced to call on are the same players that have failed countless managers beforehand so why are we surprised, if anything they fact we’re still somehow only a few point away from the European places playing mostly with the same players that looked so poor under both Koeman and Silva is testament to the job Carlo has done? Yes on another day Richie and Dom would have taken their chances and on another day we may have kept our concentration at the back but that’s our problem, no consistency and this season, more than any having that little bit of consistency will make all the difference. Just look at West Ham and what they’re doing to see that.

I would love us to be ruthless this summer and get rid of all the deadwood in the team because we aren’t going anywhere until we buy better players. A few of the younger players aside, the vast majority of what we have at the moment can’t play any better, they can’t be coached to be better and they can’t worker harder. This is their limit and until they’re gone and replaced we’ll continue to fail and I just don’t see why you bring in a manager like Carlo to work with failures.

Yeah , when it was only 1-0 after 79 mins (i could only follow the match online because of little kids) I knew we'd end up 1-1 !! But i dont'' get it as we have tough players now - apart from Siggy...where is that Holgate mentality that he demonstrates sometimes, or the improved Keane, Mina...was it Siggy's fault again?

The many missed chances shouldn't surprise us. Look at our goal difference compared to the teams around us competing for CL spots.

We just don't score enough goals to win more often. One or less in 18 of our 29 matches, and more than 2 in only 4.

It took us an hour to score against Palace and you just knew they were going to equalise.

If any of our 'star' players want to go because we're not in CL they need to look at their own performances to see the reason why. And I'm excusing James
because at least he usually does something when he plays.

I get the impression Carlo is starting to dread press conferences. His post match after Palace showed him very ill at ease. Maybe excuses are running out and bluff is ceasing to work.

Probably the most dominant performance in terms of real chances created.
Definite improvement and probably had a lot to do with James and Seamus back.
I'll take the improvement and the point, wipe that Palace goal from my memory, and see what they do in the next.

Reactions: sdk
If we'd have put away half the chances we would be comfortable 3 or 4-1 winners. We can't keep missing the chances created and expect to finish in the European spots. Keane has generally been fine this season and has put in some sterling performances, but he got caught out of position for their goal.

As others have said, it's so predictable. We score then sit back and try and absorb the pressure. We got away with that against Southampton, had a similar approach against Sheffield and am sure there are other examples. Why not try and win 3 nil? Feels like I'm watching Italian football on Sunday afternoon in the early 90s again. Painful. We created nothing after we scored, until they equalised and then we thought, oh dear, we should try and score again.
Was a bit annoyed last night, but am more philosophical this morning. When you look at our results and the way we play, mid-table is about right.

I’m sounding like a broken record, but I’ll come back to it again. I think the majority of our problems stem from the midfield. Let’s be honest there’s only Allan with the quality and composure on the ball to play in a champions league side. We have no control in that area of the pitch. Gomes and Siguardisson don’t have the legs, Davies tries but doesn’t have the confidence to receive the ball under pressure and Doucoure has the legs to get about the pitch, but isn’t good enough on the ball. Until we control the ball in the middle of the park, we will always struggle to make Europe. I am sick of seeing lower half of the table teams playing through or around our midfield.
Agree mate we bought three midfielders last summer and now we need two more

Yeah , when it was only 1-0 after 79 mins (i could only follow the match online because of little kids) I knew we'd end up 1-1 !! But i dont'' get it as we have tough players now - apart from Siggy...where is that Holgate mentality that he demonstrates sometimes, or the improved Keane, Mina...was it Siggy's fault again?
Holgate for whatever reason has lost that snide. Genuinely think he is more interested in his new found passion of chewing gum and trying to look cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.