Everton v Crystal Palace - from the Palace End.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Whittle

Player Valuation: £60m
As ever we travel in hope rather than expectation to my favourite away ground. Nevertheless, since we last played each other at Selhurst on November 9 hope has been taken as a rather more serious commodity than the jokey and fatalistic kind we endured during the first three months of the season.

Those present that day will have witnessed a somewhat delirious home crowd see a 0-0 draw which, despite having to cling on in a last ten minutes that I'm sure lasted thirty, we reckon we just about had the better of. This was temporary manager Keith Millens third game in charge and it procured our 4th point in total, our first since August. Two weeks later Tony Pulis was finally appointed and witnessed Millens last game, a ten man, 1-0 victory at Hull. (cue bedlam).

Since then, strange things have happened. First of all, Pulis stated that we needed to ensure we weren't cut adrift of safety by the opening of the transfer window. We needed some "quality" but we had "a good bunch of lads." He instantaneously decided on his best team and then played them whatever, injuries and suspensions aside. This seemingly simple idea, something, (amongst others) that Holloway had failed to do, galvanised the team and results started to improve. Home wins against fellow strugglers Cardiff,West Ham and at Villa and a creditable performance at Citeh (0-1) got us to the opening of the window.

Pulis, (whose appointment had split the fan base) had done his bit, now the board needed to their bit.....and.......blimey! they did! and without breaking the bank. In come Ince, Ledley, Dann and some proper cover for Speroni. Meanwhile further wins against Stoke, Hull again and a draw with Norwich meant that we are going along nicely.
The new boys all started on Saturday v WBA and made an immediate impact, Ince and Ledley both scoring in a deserved 3-1 win. (only the second time we have scored 3 all season.)

Since our last meeting we are P 14 W7 D1 L6. Four of those defeats were at Arsenal, Citeh, Chelsea and Spurs.
Our prospects at Goodison? Well, how many of our team would start for you? Having seen Everton at home to Hull and Villa this season as well as at Palace and a few live TV games, the answer is still not many. After Saturday I would say that Chamakh offers more than Naismith and Ince for Peinaar would be the only justifiable swaps.

We should be bringing around 1500 and there is a lot of anticipation about the trip. A lot of ours love the city and in particular recognise Everton as a proper, unsullied, old school football club. I will be watching them from my eyrie in the top balcony with my lad. He has to endure South London's finest at Selhurst and I reciprocate at Goodison. There I times when I believe that I have the best of that arrangement!

Hoping for a great game, in the strange personal atmosphere of hoping Blue boys get beat at Goodison. We may need the ghost of Lombardo for that to happen but looking forward to it anyway. ;)

Last edited:

opposition fans doing our previews now? lazy, lazy GOT haha..

i suspect who we play up front is gonna dominate here..

Great read! Pulis seems to be doing an incredible job, you guys must be buzzing at the moment!

Palace staying up seemed unthinkable when we last met but now I'd bet on it.

Have a good one on Wednesday, though I hope your son enjoys it more!

Great read.
Always good to see fans that can write without slamming the opponent.
Good luck in the rest of the season after this game :)

This will be a tough game, palace have been doing very well and are full of confidence, they will make it very hard for us, important match for us this is.

Gonna be a tough one but by rights we should just have enough. Don't mind Palace, decent set of fans..had a few bells as chairmen but other than that a well-run club

2-0 with Mirallas and Baines with the goals

I think Pulis is doing a great job so far, he's got few supporters amongst the purists, but he knows how to get results & he's taken you from what looked a fairly hopeless position to one of relative safety.

I think the game is going to be a tougher task than many Blues might think. I have a bad feeling about it tbh & I'm expecting nothing other than a very hard fought 90 minutes

...City and Arsenal found Palace a tough nut to crack. With our Achilles heel in the top third it will be difficult, especially if Palace score first and have something to hang on to. Interested to see how Ince does after a lot of hype. I was a visitor to Selhurst in the early 60s and can remember Peter Glazer in goal. Always struck me that Glazer was playing for the Glaziers which I think was their knickname in those days. Always had a soft spot for Palace as family lived in Thornton Heath and they had a great striped kit in those days.

Status
Not open for further replies.