Match Thread Everton v Burnley - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that mate but after the gladiator talk I thought it was Taylor made for him. I personally wouldn't change the system because of one missing link. With how many injuries we get are we gonna keep tinkering? All players should be drilled in the system imo
You play a system that best compliments what players you Do have, you don't try to force Square Pegs into round holes to fit 'A System'.
You do that and next you'll be faffing on about 'kin Philosophies and stuff.
K.I.S.S.

Let us not get in front of ourselves, we where here last year. Everton have ways of building you up only to knock you down. When things like our start to the season happen and you know that we can win games with a bit of application you also know that our squad is going to stop trying. It is what we have done for years. Maybe, just maybe the man from the other side of the park is the one to stop this happening. Maybe he won’t stand for it happening again.
I am beginning to get the hope again, even though experience has taught me differently. No fool like an old fool.

I'd have him back if he'd come.
1631584004393.png

I had a bit of luck this morning. I watched the matchday preview recording when I got up - the one with Leon Osmond - until the
kick off. I turned it off while I went to have a coffee and a shower and that, but when I got back and started again it had Everton 3
Burnley 1 FT. Does that sort of thing happen to you?
The good luck part is that I was better able to put up with the turgid performance of the first half knowing it would turn out alright in the end. We were very poor.
I confess to having evil thoughts at HT. I was imagining James Rodriguez unlocking Burnley's defence and saving us.
Great second half, though.

It was a strange selection/formation from Benitez last night. The usual thing to do would have been to match them up with 4-4-2 with Mina and Keane at the back to counteract the high balls. I think he presumed having an extra centre half would help against them chucking it in the mixer. However Godfrey isn't great in the air, so we were effectively playing with 10 men until he went off. I could see this after 20 minutes, and he should have done as well. To be fair to him we also lacked intensity in the first half, so that didn't help. I hope he doesn't lose faith in Godfrey after that performance. Most teams don't play like Burnley, and against faster teams who play through and around us he will be better than Keane in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.