Match Thread Everton v Brentford. Preview, Match Report and MotM poll

Your Everton MOTM vs Brentford

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
After a brief hiatus from being a grump, Watford has put me right back in the Everton frame of mind.

At this point I feel very confident we will lose and Leeds will win. If this does indeed come to pass, I humbly request a Zoom call with the “happy with a point” brigade from the Watford thread.
I dont think anybody was happy with a point, I certainly didnt see it, doesnt mean it wasnt there, I dont read every post.

I thought most considered it a point gained, which it was.

I dont think anybody was happy with a point, I certainly didnt see it, doesnt mean it wasnt there, I dont read every post.

There was actually surprisingly, many. more based i think of the "we all would have been happy with 4 points from the 2 games stuff" but if you get the 3 from the 1st game v Leicester as we did, you obviously should go all out to get them in the 2nd game v that team we played for me anyway

In literal terms it absolutely was a point gained but I don’t think many PL teams over the years will be gifted the three like we were with their lineup/approach and be so happy to surrender two.

We are basically just hoping Leeds doesn’t turn up in their last 2 matches…. We need 3 points on Sunday/ even the fantastic home support will have less and less effects on this squad

Thats the fear. That they will go back to type. Like a manager who gives the hair dryer treatment. you wont always get the response.
Could be very interesting by 16.30. Either both leeds and burnley have lost or one or both could be above us again. I just cant see burnley getting anything at a spurs side who are chomping at the bit to get above Arsenal. And brighton are in one of those phases that they seem to be purring and love beating sides.
Im more hopeful than im not hopeful right now. 10 days ago i thought we were dead men walking.

We are basically just hoping Leeds doesn’t turn up in their last 2 matches…. We need 3 points on Sunday/ even the fantastic home support will have less and less effects on this squad
I think the squad was mentally exhausted for that game. They looked shattered to me.

It is hard to keep rising to the occasion when the squad isn’t very good.

What I took away was four points from two away games in three days. About as many as we have got away all season.

They will be more prepared for the next two games and Goodison will be at its snarling best. The fight isn’t over, but its in our own hands. Our rivals have some very tricky fixtures. Much harder than ours!

In literal terms it absolutely was a point gained but I don’t think many PL teams over the years will be gifted the three like we were with their lineup/approach and be so happy to surrender two.
People simply have no confidence in these players. I'll speak for myself. I have zero confidence in pretty much any of them. Richarlison can be relied on to miss a gilt-edged chance if he has to think about it. Gray has no brain, so thinking means he malfunctions. The defence is a clown show when we try to defend anything other than our own goal line. The manager is inexperienced and has taken a while to tweak that maybe these players cannot play in the more front-footed manner he favours.

When you put all of that together, ANY point is a positive - even at relegated Watford, who hammered us 5-2 at home already this season.

People are "happy to surrender" two points because we are suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder - except we still cannot call it "post" because it is an ongoing ordeal.

This team is more than capable of going down next Sunday. We are hoping to fall over the line. If we cannot do that, there is always the hope that Burnley or Leeds will drop-out before we even see the finish. In these circumstances, people content themselves with a point because this team is as feeble and flawed as has ever pulled on an Everton shirt in my 41 years of fandom.

I'm going to go full Davek and make some ridiculous predictions.

Everton 0 - 0 Brentford
Leeds 1 - 2 Brighton
Spurs 3 - 0 Burnley

Everton 0 - 0 Crystal Palace
Aston Villa 2 - 1 Burnley

Arsenal 1 - 1 Everton
Brentford 2 - 0 Leeds
Burnley 1 - 1 Newcastle

Everton 39 points
Burnley 37 points
Leeds 34 points

We limp, rather than sprint, over the line.

(Leeds will probably rip this prediction up in the first game!)

I’ll take this limp, we’d go into the Brentford game knowing a point would keep us up and grind out a 0-0? and this nightmare is over in 48 hours? Sign me up

Gun to head, in my worst moments, I am resigned to:

Tottenham H 1-1 Burnley
Leeds Unted 2-1 Brighton and Hove Albion
Everton 1-2 Brentford

Everton 1-1 Crystal Palace
Aston Villa 2-1 Burnley

Burnley 3-1 Newcastle United
Brentford 1-2 Leeds United
Arsenal 2-0 Everton

Leeds 40
Burnley 38
Everton 37

In a nutshell, Sunday is massive. This team, as feeble and hopeless as they are, MUST seize the moment now. Only a win will do on Sunday. We need four points from these two home games. This is the acid test and moment of truth. Failure means relegation and another sacked manager. Put up or shut up time, lads.

We had 29 chances on goal.

13 corners mate, we tried to win, we just didnt have the quality to do it.
That's what I took from it, we snatched at chances when they should have been buried. Keane, Gray & Richy could all have won the game for us and didn't.

Gun to head, in my worst moments, I am resigned to:

Tottenham H 1-1 Burnley
Leeds Unted 2-1 Brighton and Hove Albion
Everton 1-2 Brentford

Everton 1-1 Crystal Palace
Aston Villa 2-1 Burnley

Burnley 3-1 Newcastle United
Brentford 1-2 Leeds United
Arsenal 2-0 Everton

Leeds 40
Burnley 38
Everton 37

In a nutshell, Sunday is massive. This team, as feeble and hopeless as they are, MUST seize the moment now. Only a win will do on Sunday. We need four points from these two home games. This is the acid test and moment of truth. Failure means relegation and another sacked manager. Put up or shut up time, lads.
Just had a panic attack reading that :(

Status
Not open for further replies.