Everton tried to bring back Jack Rodwell on deadline day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would have been a bit underwhelmed if we'd brought him back, mainly because he was a rather unadventurous player and a very injury prone one too. But, Martinez is a fully qualified physiotherapist so maybe under his management he might have begun to get over those problems. Not to mention he's a much more progressive manager than the man who Rodwell played under here.

He would be perfect for the system we play for this reason.

I wouldn't take Rodwell back because he's not very good.

The fact that he's made out of wet cardboard just adds to the problem.

I still think hes got a lot of talent mate, the issue is confidence and fitness, both are impacting each other, one gets fixed the other will improve also

Not at all.

The players you mentioned probably had better care than 95% of other players, the issue with hamstrings is that when you get a few it plays on their minds, which leads to tension in the muscles, which in turn leads to more strains which in turn leads to more tension, round and round they go.

not necessarily, there were plenty of dinosaurs in football in that era even at liverpool, newcastle etc. don't lecture me on hamstrings cos i can assure you i know more than you. you're correct they do become more susceptible but through correcting mechanical issues, regular soft tissue treatment and not overloading the athlete in training there is no reason they should get a hamstring injury again.

not necessarily, there were plenty of dinosaurs in football in that era even at liverpool, newcastle etc. don't lecture me on hamstrings cos i can assure you i know more than you. you're correct they do become more susceptible but through correcting mechanical issues, regular soft tissue treatment and not overloading the athlete in training there is no reason they should get a hamstring injury again.

Wasnt aware I was lecturing anybody lad.

Maybe you should speak to Jack about this issue and put your healing hands on him.

So you're saying that Premier League clubs who employ a whole team of physios and doctors who have players worth millions of pounds that have suffered from repeat hamstring injuries are doing so because the clubs are managing them poorly ?

How would you have felt if we'd brought him back? Not sure how I'd feel about an option to buy, and if so at what price, though.

I was a big fan of the lad, thought he could grow into a real player, but sadly injuries really hurt his progress, plus he lacked a bit of snide, which really hurt him in the postion he plays.

Still time for the lid, I have faith, but its a long road, plus he wouldnt be Young Jack who we brought through our youth system, he would be a player who would cost some actual moneys.

I was a big fan of the lad, thought he could grow into a real player, but sadly injuries really hurt his progress, plus he lacked a bit of snide, which really hurt him in the postion he plays.

Still time for the lid, I have faith, but its a long road, plus he wouldnt be Young Jack who we brought through our youth system, he would be a player who would cost some actual moneys.

Agree with all this.

I think if anyone can help Rodwell fulfil his potential then it's Martinez.

Rodwell's biggest problem isnt in his legs, its his head. Seems to get lost tactically, positionally unaware and lacks the drive, determination and winning mentality that would turn him from a mediocre player to a very good one.

If only Man U and Real had you working for them instead of the medical experts they pay thousands of pounds to, eh?

I'd like to see him under Martinez. Not just the new system and the better football, but that Martinez is very very supportive of the players in public. I think Rodwell is a confidence player, so Martinez may well bring the best out of him. A loan, with option to buy would be ok

Rodwell's biggest problem isnt in his legs, its his head. Seems to get lost tactically, positionally unaware and lacks the drive, determination and winning mentality that would turn him from a mediocre player to a very good one.

A perfect assessment.

Agree with all this.

I think if anyone can help Rodwell fulfil his potential then it's Martinez.

Don't agree in the slightest.

If we can land Barry permanently in the summer it'll be him and James McCarthy occupying that midfield berth for the foreseeable future, and with good cause.

Barry's awareness is absolutely top draw, he can control and lay off the easy way or the less obvious way, something that continually surprises me (in a good way!) every time I see the lid play, his experience playing that role has helped him hone his skills to an extremely high standard, so much so that he partnered Yaya Touré of all people to the league title.

McCarthy is all-action, the lad just bounds about all over the shop, flying into tackles the way the Goodison expects. He's absolutely superb at harrying the opposition and closing down. The balance between him and Barry has been by & large excellent all season.

Rodwell gives the ball away far too much (look at the goals he's single-handedly given to the opposition when he's been fit to play for City) and doesn't have a drive anywhere near the level of McCarthy, not to mention his complete inability to pick a forward pass, the bad crab.

Now, a latter day Arteta could do Barry's job to perfection, but if we're on the subject of ex-Everton midfielders that would get into this current squad, Rodwell should be nowhere near it.

I know he can still do the odd run up the field and score ala Norwich last season, but even a broken clock is right twice a day. Jelavic looked like f*cking Romario against QPR but that doesn't mean I'd have him back, either.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.