Everton tried to bring back Jack Rodwell on deadline day

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyZ

Player Valuation: £10m
It's been reported in the Daily Mail and The Times that we attempted to bring back Jack Rodwell before the January transfer window closed. The proposed transfer would have seen us move for Gareth Barry on a permanent deal and bring Rodwell in on loan. The deal fell through however when Man City's bid for FC Porto's Fernando was rejected.

I could see us making a move for Rodwell in the summer in a cut price deal. I would like to read the entirety of the article in The Times but I do not have a subscription. Can anybody help me out?

Last edited:
It's been reported in the Daily Mail and the The Times that we attempted to bring back Jack Rodwell before the January transfer window closed. The proposed transfer would have seen us move for Gareth Barry on a permanent deal and bring Rodwell in on loan. The deal fell through however when Man City's bid for FC Porto's Fernando was rejected.

I could see us making a move for Rodwell in the summer in a cut price deal. I would like to read the entirety of the article in The Times but I do not have a subscription. Can anybody help me out?

theres definately a good player in there, two footed, athletic, intelligent, good technique, I just think the injuries will kill him off as a top player, shame for the lad. He's kind of stuck at City now, it was clear Mancini rated him, and he looked very good last season on the very rare occasions he was fit, but I can see him drifting to obscurity now, I hope not, whether Everton are involved or not

I could see him as one of our loans next year, perhaps Martinez with his physio background can work his magic. Perhaps he could be the Ball Playing center half to partner Stones in the future, after all didnt he play there for a while?

I know he is injury prone, but is he really any different than, say, Jack Wilshere (a.k.a Jack "Wheelchair")? Both are sensational English prospects. Both are quite injury prone, but both are still very young. If we got him back on a cut price deal, it would still represent good business for the club and I can still see him developing into a top player.

Arsenal have stuck with their academy product (Wilshere) through his injury run. I would like to see us do the same.

it was clear Mancini rated him
I don't know if this was the case with the Rodwell deal, but I thought one of the problems Mancini had at City was they wanted to sign a load of up-and-coming English talent (think Johnson, Sinclair etc.) and Mancini sort of admitted he didn't know who half of them were?

I don't know why Man City are worried about UEFA rules on Home-grown players, when they're driving a coach and horses through FFP and will still be able to compete in Europe...

If Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt wasn't able to sort him out then I don't think no one could, too risky with his biscuit hamstrings.

Wouldn't mind getting him in on a season long loan deal with option to buy. Has had an unjury ravaged career uptil now, but maybe just maybe he can grow out of that. One thing is for sure, he still does have the potential to become a very good player. If he doesn't overcome his injury proness than at least we can say that we did try.

theres definately a good player in there, two footed, athletic, intelligent, good technique, I just think the injuries will kill him off as a top player, shame for the lad. He's kind of stuck at City now, it was clear Mancini rated him, and he looked very good last season on the very rare occasions he was fit, but I can see him drifting to obscurity now, I hope not, whether Everton are involved or not

Indeed he did. I still remember him scoring a brace against Norwich in May of last in year in what I believe was the last game of the season. It ended up earning him a call up to the national team from Hodgson.

[video]http://www.goal-247.com/FootballVideos/View/791/Manchester-City-1-1-Norwich-GOAL-Jack-Rodwell-29-/23[/video]

[video=dailymotion;x1011r4]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1011r4_cit-2-2-nor_sport?start=0[/video]

He's one of us is rodwell, was clearly forced out for us to get some cash in, which was right for us at the time. There's no doubt he's got ability but his injurys are a big problem!

I would think come summer there will be many more options available that RM will explore instead of rodwell. He keeps insisting this past jan window he didn't want to disrupt anything in the squad and that makes rodwell a perfect loan to have completed. Let's face it, we have cash...if he really wanted him he could of prob bought him so come summer I don't see rodwell being a target tbh.

If he's ever to return tho on some bargain deal I wouldn't mind, always liked him, was just a shame he was made of glass!

Would love to see a Everton side containing Rooney rodwell and Barkley. Would be quite a proud moment!

Last edited:
I don't believe this.

I could believe an actual bid for him, but not through making Barry permanent and then loaning. Why would we pay a fortune to sign Barry when we could get him for much less in the summer? I can't see Barry just kissing goodbye to all those wages etc so we'd be paying those.

I could believe an actual bid for him, but not through making Barry permanent and then loaning. Why would we pay a fortune to sign Barry when we could get him for much less in the summer? I can't see Barry just kissing goodbye to all those wages etc so we'd be paying those.

I can't see it because Jack Rodwell isn't very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.