Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's plenty of opinions on here. Can anyone name a left footed left winger and a right footed right winger who would fit into Carlo's 4-4-2?

Not a wide forward, or an inverted winger. We're talking old fashioned 7s and 11s. Starting position from deep, ability to beat the fullback on the outside and get a cross into the box?

That's who they are going to be after. It's why Walcott played when fit, he's the only one on the books who ticks those boxes.

Not fair to compare DCL and King.

Under Ancelotti we have seen clearly defined roles for the strikers. DCL and Kean are typical no 9s, while Richarlison is a second striker. We have hardly seen DCL and Kean on the pitch at the same time. When Richarlison plays wide, we play with one striker. The closest we have to cover for Richarlison is probably Gordon.

Joshua King is a typical second striker. The guy who plays next to Wilson or Solanke for Bournemouth. Or next to Haaland for the national team. He knows how to play 442 and he can also play wide.

It might not be the most inspiring or what we are hoping for, but getting King in for a reasonable price could be clever business. He would provide cover for Richarlison and also give an option to use Richarlison wide while sticking to 442.

I am confident that DCL and King as strikers combined with Richarlison as right midfielder would provide more goals than Richarlison/DCL/Walcott. And let's be honest. Everton are not likely to sign a better right midfielder than Richarlison. Not this summer. Not next summer.

When you breakdown our forward options its bang average outside of Richarlison:

DCL: NEA about 15 goals this 15 goals that he scored the bulk of those in 3 months and the other 2 seasons at the club he has done diddly squat - same as the start and end of this current season just gone. Antonio has just scored the bulk of his 10 or so goals for WHU since the restart - does that mean he's a top striker or that he's had a purple patch?

Kean: potential but just that at this stage - 2 goal return is poor for a £27 million outlay

Tosun: useless, crap, needs scrapping

How anyone can tell me we are well stocked up top I'll never know - a 3-6 month lay off for Richarlison and our season would be done there and then.

I would want better than King and would be targetting someone like Belotti who has el magico in his boots but if the funds are needed on another 4-5 positions then King is a decent squad option - 1 in 4 goalscorer and suited to the 442 system - what more can you ask for from a back up CF?

There's plenty of opinions on here. Can anyone name a left footed left winger and a right footed right winger who would fit into Carlo's 4-4-2?

Not a wide forward, or an inverted winger. We're talking old fashioned 7s and 11s. Starting position from deep, ability to beat the fullback on the outside and get a cross into the box?

That's who they are going to be after. It's why Walcott played when fit, he's the only one on the books who ticks those boxes.

I don’t necessarily agree with you, but from the Prem, McNeil & Sarr.

I won’t name anyone outside of the prem as I only really see highlights here and there of other leagues.

We need that midfielder in first day of preseason getting a bit twitchy that we aren't being linked to anyone bar Allan and Hojbjerg looks like he is off to Spurs. This position is key for the new season they need to be signed in the next few weeks.

In general a lot of our fans are nuts.

Marcel Brands signs fringe players from CL clubs for huge fees and big wages....Is that what we’re paying you for??

Marcel Brands allegedly wants good, proven PL players who still have the potential to step up there game in a better team (Zaha, Hoilberg, King). Players who are available at a good fee due to contract situations. Is that what we’re paying you for??

In general a lot of our fans are nuts.

Marcel Brands signs fringe players from CL clubs for huge fees and big wages....Is that what we’re paying you for??

Marcel Brands allegedly wants good, proven PL players who still have the potential to step up there game in a better team (Zaha, Hoilberg, King). Players who are available at a good fee due to contract situations. Is that what we’re paying you for??

Brands can’t win whatever he does. He buys unproven players, ‘we need proven quality, not championship with no prem experience’, he buys fringe players from bigger clubs ‘we don’t want cast offs’, if he buys from relegated teams not more relegation trash’, if it’s expensive ‘he’s overpaid again’, if it’s cheap ‘once again he’s not delivered the managers first choice target’. He literally can’t win. Some fans didn’t even like the Richarlison signing when we made it.

There is a reason why we hardly ever see these old fashioned 7s or 11s anymore. Statistically crosses into the box is the least effective way to try to score. No team have great success with that in the modern game.

If you are going to rely on crosses into the box, you will always have more success when attacking more narrow and letting the opponents wingers try to block crosses from your full backs.

The problem with Carlo's 4-4-2 is that it allows the opponent to outnumber and overrun us centrally. Upgrading the midfield will help, but it won't change the fact that any other team in the league will be able to control games against Everton. Possession does not win games. Having 40% possession can be OK. But it does mean that the wide players will spend most of their time defending. 80 yards away from the opposing goal.

Correct me if I am wrong, but did not Walcott only look like a threat when we played 4-2-3-1?

I expect Carlo to stop playing 4-4-2. It is too negative and outdated in a league where most teams focus on crowding the midfield and control matches. If he is too stubborn to change formation, I really hope he is looking into a more modern approach. A 4-2-2-2 variant similar to what Southampton are doing well with could be interesting. But most likely we are back to playing 4-2-3-1 by November. The Everton formation.

Been linked with Josh King and David Brooks from Bournemouth today, yesterday it was doucoure and deulofeu from Watford, hopefully by Friday we will be in for Ronaldo and Dybala from Juve. Knowing our fans though still wouldn't be happy "too old, too expensive"

Allan, Brooks, Sarr? I would take that it would change our midfield. I am guessing there may be some lesser known names on our lists though.

People moan about DCL on here then want Joshua King & Callum Wilson lol
I've been a massive defender of DCL on here over the years, and it was good to see him start getting the goals earlier in the season, that the improvement we'd seen in his overall game deserved.

But I'm of the opinion that the lad is not a natural footballer. Yes he works hard and is a handful for defenders, but I think what we saw before the covid break is as good as it is going to get with him. I believe he has hit his personal ceiling.

Before the break his stock had never been higher and I'm disappointed that he didn't add a goal or two to his tally since the restart. But I still reckon that because he is English, young, and his stock is still quite high, now would be the ideal time to sell. Cash in whilst we can, because I honestly don't believe he is the 15/20 a season regular scorer that we want and need. Spend part of the money on somebody like Wilson and take an expensive punt on somebody young from abroad, like Watford did with the lad Sarr.

...I don’t see Walcott as the conventional winger you describe. Yes, he’s right footed and right sided but he tends to be quite direct and looks to get in the opposition box. He can hit the touchline and cross the ball but I wouldn’t say that’s his stock move.

When you breakdown our forward options its bang average outside of Richarlison:

DCL: NEA about 15 goals this 15 goals that he scored the bulk of those in 3 months and the other 2 seasons at the club he has done diddly squat - same as the start and end of this current season just gone. Antonio has just scored the bulk of his 10 or so goals for WHU since the restart - does that mean he's a top striker or that he's had a purple patch?

Kean: potential but just that at this stage - 2 goal return is poor for a £27 million outlay

Tosun: useless, crap, needs scrapping

How anyone can tell me we are well stocked up top I'll never know - a 3-6 month lay off for Richarlison and our season would be done there and then.

I would want better than King and would be targetting someone like Belotti who has el magico in his boots but if the funds are needed on another 4-5 positions then King is a decent squad option - 1 in 4 goalscorer and suited to the 442 system - what more can you ask for from a back up CF?
Kean has 2 goals in his last 2 starts other than the starts he hasn’t had more than 30 mins on the field for months

Status
Not open for further replies.