Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite the obvious tongue in cheek manner of this post it does raise a good point. Does anyone actually truly believe that this club is going to come good one day soon?

I personally see all these horrendous stats and records we’ve got and the level of player we’re bringing in (as Goat said our last good midfield was a 900 year old Gareth Barry and James McCarthy) and it just accentuates the feeling I’ve had in the back of my head for a while now that in 5 or 10 years we will be relegated and we will see this recent period we’ve had and are in now as the fork in the road from which it all went down hill. I just don’t see Everton as a viable entity anymore.

The club needs to build.

It needs to stand still and regroup, but it wont happen and it certainly shouldn't happen when we have the best manager we will ever have. The problem is we spent every penny we have had and now we are utterly skint so wont be able to take advantage of a manager like Carlo who will do what he can, but not even Carlo can turn crap into wine.

He clearly isn't world class, but I think I've just seen a stat saying that Gomes is the worst player in the entire league for allowing players to dribble past him, whereas Hojbjerg is the 13th best for making tackles in the league.

He's not Kante or Gueye but I think he'd be a massive upgrade on Gomes, certainly from a defensive perspective.

It all depends on his cost. If we get him for 18 million then we are paying not much more than we paid for McCarthy back in 2013, for a player that may be of similar quality to McCarthy. He's only just about to turn 25 as well.

So not world class, but capable of making that massive void in the centre of a our midfield considerably smaller.

Hmmm........

The club needs to build.

It needs to stand still and regroup, but it wont happen and it certainly shouldn't happen when we have the best manager we will ever have. The problem is we spent every penny we have had and now we are utterly skint so wont be able to take advantage of a manager like Carlo who will do what he can, but not even Carlo can turn crap into wine.
In true Everton fashion we have managed to turn the best scenario we’ve had in absolutely years: getting Ancelotti into a bit of a perilous ordeal.

For me we tie Carlo in long long term, sell one of the god players and have a really well thought out go at a proper rebuild. Easy for me to say though

Make them good?

You mean go back to them as a baby and not make them garbage at football?
You know what I mean.

Our problem is we are still pretending we can just quickly buy our way up the league. That starts at the top with Moshiri who naively seems to think he can simply compete with long established money printing operations and state owned teams by tossing his cash around. FFP goes one step further to establishing an inability to compete that way. It's foolish to continue to try to haphazardly sign proven, high level players in a misguided attempt to bring enough in at once to make a competitive squad when we can barely attract a single one. The only way to get up the league is to aggressively target talented 20-24 year old players with skills that fit whatever system we desire to play and attempt to make them high level players while they're at the club.

He clearly isn't world class, but I think I've just seen a stat saying that Gomes is the worst player in the entire league for allowing players to dribble past him, whereas Hojbjerg is the 13th best for making tackles in the league.

He's not Kante or Gueye but I think he'd be a massive upgrade on Gomes, certainly from a defensive perspective.

It all depends on his cost. If we get him for 18 million then we are paying not much more than we paid for McCarthy back in 2013, for a player that may be of similar quality to McCarthy. He's only just about to turn 25 as well.

So not world class, but capable of making that massive void in the centre of a our midfield considerably smaller.
I’m not hating the logic here

You know what I mean.

Our problem is we are still pretending we can just quickly buy our way up the league. That starts at the top with Moshiri who naively seems to think he can simply compete with long established money printing operations and state owned teams by tossing his cash around. FFP goes one step further to establishing an inability to compete that way. It's foolish to continue to try to haphazardly sign proven, high level players in a misguided attempt to bring enough in at once to make a competitive squad when we can barely attract a single one. The only way to get up the league is to aggressively target talented 20-24 year old players with skills that fit whatever system we desire to play and attempt to make them high level players while they're at the club.

You mean things like buy talented 19 year olds?

Hows that working out for us.

You mean things like buy talented 19 year olds?

Hows that working out for us.
That's the problem right there though. We've got the collective patience of a group of 6 year olds.

Moise Kean scored on his last start and until he has a run of games I think any criticism is premature.

Anyway what is your alternative? Because today it seems like it is to just give up.

That's the problem right there though. We've got the collective patience of a group of 6 year olds.

Moise Kean scored on his last start and until he has a run of games I think any criticism is premature.

Anyway what is your alternative? Because today it seems like it is to just give up.

The doom merchants seem to be the only people winning.

The doom merchants seem to be the only people winning.
I don't mean to be a doom merchant. I think the combination of Ancelotti (even though I hate the 4-4-2) and the amount of money Moshiri is willing to spend mean we really can compete within a few years. But only if we adopt the right strategies.

Pointless signing anybody really.

We as a club haven't won anything for 25 years and we are no closer to winning anything any time soon, may as well just save our money and finish 12th rather than spend.
I know you're being facetious here but the worst thing is you've kind of got a point. When people have said recently about just defending deep and nicking the odd goal, and how it's unrealistic to aim higher than 8th, it does make you think whats the point in signing anyone then. We honestly might aswell sell our best players if that's our aim because you can come 8th in this league just by having a reasonably well drilled bunch of players who defend well.

I know you're being facetious here but the worst thing is you've kind of got a point. When people have said recently about just defending deep and nicking the odd goal, and how it's unrealistic to aim higher than 8th, it does make you think whats the point in signing anyone then. We honestly might aswell sell our best players if that's our aim because you can come 8th in this league just by having a reasonably well drilled bunch of players who defend well.
It is possible to go a long way with it. Atletico haven't finished below 3rd and have made a couple of CL finals doing it, but God is it going to be dull. And that's fine on some level if it works, but with the attacking talent on display at other clubs I find it hard to believe we will be in the CL scoring 60 goals.

Our squad is a real mess. A quality wide player and at least one top drawer centre mid is the minimum we need this window.

Can’t complain about the defence, it’s not perfect but you have to say Mina, Keane and Holgate look like perfectly good options for now. We have bigger needs elsewhere.

It really seems like DCL and Richarlison would be a great pair, with Kean supporting them, as long as they had a better midfield behind them.

Bernard
Walcott
Gomes
Davies
Gylfi
Delph
Iwobi

I’d happily scrap all of them apart from Gomes - who we know is boss when he’s up to speed - and Davies - who is worth having around the squad and could yet kick on.

Over to you Carlo and Marcel.

Where does this myth that Davies is a good squad player/might kick on come from?

He offers nothing. Has shown no improvement in 100 appearances. Yet people still say things like "just needs consistency to his game" etc... Baffling.

It is possible to go a long way with it. Atletico haven't finished below 3rd and have made a couple of CL finals doing it, but God is it going to be dull. And that's fine on some level if it works, but with the attacking talent on display at other clubs I find it hard to believe we will be in the CL scoring 60 goals.
Yeah i agree. I mean even more than that though really. Like if we're happy to finish 8th for a couple of years then signing Digne, Gomes, Bernard, Iwobi etc was pointless. Kenny, Baines, Tosun, Bolasie et al could get you upper mid table in this league if you just play basic safety first football. I mean, they literally did two years ago.

Arguments against the names linked in CM in perspective after that hopefully. Holberg not flashy enough, Allan too old at 29, rabiot's mum a loose cannon.

Not necessarily advocating for any of these per se but we need a brand new engine and these would all represent that.
It’s kind of funny. We’re so bad in midfield yet people reject any sort of link or option out there that’s not some unknown kid from the French league who will likely end up crap in the prem. Strange bunch we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.