Everton, the Medium Sized Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering the origin of the piece and the audience it was aimed at. I thought it was a well thought out, cleverly worded article

I think people need to realise that the complaints about how americans talk about football are the equivalent to being mad that la liga is commented on in spanish...

the fact of the matter is all the terms that have been mentioned that american commentators use are easy to decipher.
UK and Ireland speak English (UK)
US speaks English (US)

does it also annoy people how Americans spell center? the differences in spelling and pronunciation stems from the failure to standardise dictionaries in previous centuries and it shouldn't be something that people lose sleep over.

As a scientist, it annoyed me in the past the pronunciation of Aluminum in the US but once I realised that this stems from different phoenetic descriptions in dictionaries it became obvious that it was a stupid thing to annoy me.

(P.S. There are plenty of things that people in the U.K. pronounce incorrectly... like the people that insist on pronouncing an R in Peugeot... and in Ireland quite a large amount of people put an R into ChicaRRRgo)

Good rant...but who the hell cares?

When Everton chose me, i sure as hell didnt get pissed because you all have entire dictionary of your own that you use on this forum and twitter and what not. Like the rest of the American supporters we learn how you all speak and try to incorporate it into our vernacular. Some more so than others.

in short...shut it and accept that some of us love the game and club just as much as you.

...though for the life of me LCAB has a whole nother language i am still wide eyed about.

Americans should speak how they want to speak about Football. I think it would sound a bit odd if they used all the sayings English people do. For a start, there are a lot of phrases that English people use that make me cringe. E.g - Messi scored a "Worldie". Soccer is an English word anyway isn't it.

Americans should speak how they want to speak about Football. I think it would sound a bit odd if they used all the sayings English people do. For a start, there are a lot of phrases that English people use that make me cringe. E.g - Messi scored a "Worldie". Soccer is an English word anyway isn't it.

I have never seen or heard this said ever.... but I'm not English I suppose...

I have never seen or heard this said ever.... but I'm not English I suppose...

A few of them say it on Sky Sports News on Soccer Saturday. Funny how it's called Soccer Saturday on SKY too. People getting all outraged that Americans call it Soccer and our own TV channels have it in the name! Le Tissier and Merson quite often say these sorts of phrases.

I'm not talking about different languages and dialects ffs. The football dictionary IS, or should be, the ONLY dictionary.

Untill you lot stop using the incorrect terms for things, then our attitude towards American 'soccer' fans will remain the same. At the end of the day it's our sport and our teams and of course foreign fans are more than welcome to subscribe to and enjoy part of our culture (especially if they are Evertonians!) but at least try to fit in ffs.

I think you are taking it to heart too much lad, we have shows over here like 'Soccer AM' and 'Soccer Saturday,' as if that bothers us, don't argue with Evertonians because they call it something different

I've gotten used to Americanisms when it comes to soccerball but there is one tiny one that still drives me cracked and its 'offsides'. Why pluralize it? 'yea, he was a mile offsides... aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh. Dunno why it drives me cracked.
As for the Grantland article, funny and informative but to refer to Everton as a medium sized club is lazy and insulting.

Keep in mind that the words we use to describe "soccer" are the same as we use to describe baseball, (american) football, and hockey. Its not that we are intentionally using different words and phrases; its that we have words and phrases that we use to describe sports in general, and they are used in soccer just as they are used elsewhere. If cricket all of a sudden became popular here, we would apply our sports words to that also, and would not use cricket terms.

I play "soccer" with many foreign born Euros who live here now. They all say "soccer" and not "football" and seem to not have a problem with it. If I were on vacation (sorry, holiday) in England, I would say "football", just like when I ski in Quebec, I say "bonjour" and not "hello". When in Rome ... For this reason, I will use British words/phrases on this cite, because I deem it to be an English one, so to speak, except when the interjection of the American word is substantive, as it is in this post.

And the Canadians (the anglophones at least) will use the same words and phrases that Yanks will use, and possibly also the Aussies and New Zealanders. Ironically, the majority of the english speaking world will describe this great sport in a manner similar to that which occurs in the States.

Personally I'm delighted that Everton are picking up fans all around the world.. call football and everything else what you want as long as Everton is always Everton. :)

Soccer Saturday is used for it's alliteration and is a much catchier title.

It's football you absolute belters.

Keep in mind that the words we use to describe "soccer" are the same as we use to describe baseball, (american) football, and hockey. Its not that we are intentionally using different words and phrases; its that we have words and phrases that we use to describe sports in general, and they are used in soccer just as they are used elsewhere. If cricket all of a sudden became popular here, we would apply our sports words to that also, and would not use cricket terms.

I play "soccer" with many foreign born Euros who live here now. They all say "soccer" and not "football" and seem to not have a problem with it. If I were on vacation (sorry, holiday) in England, I would say "football", just like when I ski in Quebec, I say "bonjour" and not "hello". When in Rome ... For this reason, I will use British words/phrases on this cite, because I deem it to be an English one, so to speak, except when the interjection of the American word is substantive, as it is in this post.

And the Canadians (the anglophones at least) will use the same words and phrases that Yanks will use, and possibly also the Aussies and New Zealanders. Ironically, the majority of the english speaking world will describe this great sport in a manner similar to that which occurs in the States.

I am seething.

Football comes from here. I don't give a **** how Americanized the world has become it doesn't make it right.

The fact of the matter is, we are not arrogant enough to take an American sport and start calling it what we feel like and using all sorts of stupid words to 'English-ize' it. We don't call baseball 'rounders'- which is exactly what it is. As an English speaking country you should follow our lead on our national sport ffs.

And the Canadians (the anglophones at least) will use the same words and phrases that Yanks will use, and possibly also the Aussies and New Zealanders.

And the Saffers. And the Irish.

If I needed any more proof that you were wrong I'd have it due to the quality of your allies, to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.