Everton, the Medium Sized Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly who gives to ****es what we call it? It's the same game no matter what the name is. The rules are the same globally. Some on here need to get off your high horses. It was a decent read.

the utter kakness of this piece cannot be overstated. I've produced more accurate articles on the john and promptly flushed...

I understood parts of what the article was trying to say but belittling the club by calling us mid sized was a bit of a piss take and comparing us to Portsmouth is laughable. If we are mid sized, then how are they?

It makes me laugh how we are described as never winning anything (alot of people seem to disregard the trophies we have won) but they don't mention that Arsenal haven't won a trophy since 2005 or that Liverpool haven't won a League Title since 1990. And as for these other clubs who are considered better than Everton these days like Spurs and Newcastle. With Newcastle they rave about their stadium because they don't have the success and Spurs have a smaller ground than us and have won one trophy since 2000 - the League Cup. So these clubs must be mid sized as well, yet we never see articles describing them like that.

Spurs took about 500 to Panathinaikos last night, one of the biggest clubs in Greece. We took about 2,500 to AEK Athens. That isn't mid sized to me. Truth is, we never have been and never will be just a mid sized club.

I understood parts of what the article was trying to say but belittling the club by calling us mid sized was a bit of a piss take and comparing us to Portsmouth is laughable. If we are mid sized, then how are they?

It makes me laugh how we are described as never winning anything (alot of people seem to disregard the trophies we have won) but they don't mention that Arsenal haven't won a trophy since 2005 or that Liverpool haven't won a League Title since 1990. And as for these other clubs who are considered better than Everton these days like Spurs and Newcastle. With Newcastle they rave about their stadium because they don't have the success and Spurs have a smaller ground than us and have won one trophy since 2000 - the League Cup. So these clubs must be mid sized as well, yet we never see articles describing them like that.

Spurs took about 500 to Panathinaikos last night, one of the biggest clubs in Greece. We took about 2,500 to AEK Athens. That isn't mid sized to me. Truth is, we never have been and never will be just a mid sized club.

Is right. We are a massive club going through a rough spell and how Spurs are considered so much bigger than us is annoying as hell.

Is right. We are a massive club going through a rough spell and how Spurs are considered so much bigger than us is annoying as hell.

It's only the media that rave about Spurs though. They're a bit like the Newcastle of the South. Apparently they have a 30,000 waiting list for season tickets. It's surprising to me that they have a potential 65,000 people who can't wait to get to their matches but only 500 odd can be arsed going to Athens.

2 League titles is pathetic as well. What these media men need to realise is that when looking at what English clubs have achieved, you have to group Chelsea, Spurs and Man City together to even match the number of League Titles that mid sized Everton has won.

It wasn't really insulting, but it doesn't do us credit. At the very worst, if he knew his history, he could have told his readers that we are a sleeping giant.

Honestly who gives to ****es what we call it? It's the same game no matter what the name is. The rules are the same globally. Some on here need to get off your high horses. It was a decent read.

We don't go around calling American Football 'American Forward Pass Allowing Rugby' do we? More to the point, it's not nessessarily the word 'soccer' that especially pisses me off, it's the terms you use to describe a match.

Here are just a few:

Offence.
De-fence.
A 'shut out' instead of a clean sheet.
A 'tie' instead of a draw.
'Schedule' instead of fixtures
'Rosta' instead of squad list.
'Everton wins 2 to 1' instead of Everton won 2 1.

I could go on. You lot are just wrong and should be told at every opportunity.

To be honest, espn can **** off. What do they know about football? Sorry, soccer? They don't bother to televise any of our games and they think they have the authority to publish this garbage? DO ONE

Uh. they do televise Everton games.
In fact, they televised last weeks early game.

They are the largest sports network in the US, and have recently begun to shift their dynamic coverage to European football. Think of it as a very large freight train. Slow to get started but once going, it is nigh impossible to stop.

The problem with the article is that it makes it sound like supporting Everton has relatively nothing going for it. You can probably say the same thing if you read through half the threads on this site (especially following a bad loss), but the difference is that this article was on a popular U.S. sports site and it if any American sat through the whole thing, it probably marks the most extensive exposure to our club that they have had.

We complain about being broke (or skint), but if we can't get a foothold in the growing and wealthy U.S. market, we will become a mid-sized club. I'm an American who started loving Everton for reasons that are kind of hard to explain. However, for better or worse, I know a lot of Americans pick a team to support based upon articles just like these. And this article did us no favors (6th out of 143 is mid-sized?) - especially when compared to the televised Liverpool circle jerk (narrated by Clive Owen!) that we are indirectly competing against that is "Being Liverpool." So I don't know, maybe it isn't so bad that a few people call it soccer (hell, I do) if it means we can keep the Fellainis and Baineses at our club.

History aside, we're valued in the top 25 clubs in world football. Somehow I think this makes us more than a medium-sized pompey compared team.

We don't go around calling American Football 'American Forward Pass Allowing Rugby' do we? More to the point, it's not nessessarily the word 'soccer' that especially pisses me off, it's the terms you use to describe a match.

Here are just a few:

Offence.
De-fence.
A 'shut out' instead of a clean sheet.
A 'tie' instead of a draw.
'Schedule' instead of fixtures
'Rosta' instead of squad list.
'Everton wins 2 to 1' instead of Everton won 2 1.

I could go on. You lot are just wrong and should be told at every opportunity.

Good rant...but who the hell cares?

When Everton chose me, i sure as hell didnt get pissed because you all have entire dictionary of your own that you use on this forum and twitter and what not. Like the rest of the American supporters we learn how you all speak and try to incorporate it into our vernacular. Some more so than others.

in short...shut it and accept that some of us love the game and club just as much as you.

...though for the life of me LCAB has a whole nother language i am still wide eyed about.

Good rant...but who the hell cares?

When Everton chose me, i sure as hell didnt get pissed because you all have entire dictionary of your own that you use on this forum and twitter and what not. Like the rest of the American supporters we learn how you all speak and try to incorporate it into our vernacular. Some more so than others.

in short...shut it and accept that some of us love the game and club just as much as you.

...though for the life of me LCAB has a whole nother language i am still wide eyed about.

I'm not talking about different languages and dialects ffs. The football dictionary IS, or should be, the ONLY dictionary.

Untill you lot stop using the incorrect terms for things, then our attitude towards American 'soccer' fans will remain the same. At the end of the day it's our sport and our teams and of course foreign fans are more than welcome to subscribe to and enjoy part of our culture (especially if they are Evertonians!) but at least try to fit in ffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.