Everton, the Medium Sized Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-19826327

I thought it was funny considering the "Haha look at the American's try to talk about football" going on here that today this article started circulating the interwebs as "Haha look at the Brits try to talk about baseball".

Wum or serious?
Your starting to come across as someone that actually doesn't understand why the term Soccer is so annoying. And can't see the difference between reporting a story badly, and taking over the coverage and trying to rename a global sport in the home of that sport whilst still not knowing what the hell your talking about.

Americans should be banned from talking about football unless they agree to the correct terminology. Imagine if we started calling their sports by a different name and coming up with stupid ways of describing the 'plays'. Winds me right up. And they're gonna vote Romney in. Koff.

Ehh, the word soccer comes from England. If you didn't want us to use it, shouldn't have come up with it.

Americans should be banned from talking about football unless they agree to the correct terminology. Imagine if we started calling their sports by a different name and coming up with stupid ways of describing the 'plays'. Winds me right up. And they're gonna vote Romney in. Koff.

Wavy stick game instead of rounders or whatever world series it is they play in their country you mean?
Instead of their football maybe call it adult catch or padded rugby that sort of thing, something at least relevant to the sport? Then remove all their ability to watch it with Americans hosting it and get that bloke from the BBC to do the analysis.
Personally I don't really care and I am just venting after a very pants day, I don't care as long as they respect the fact that the game is actually called football and not soccer just because they want it to be.
This is fact, we are EFC, a member of the FA, a member of EUFA, a member of FIFA... not an S amongst them.

Ehh, the word soccer comes from England. If you didn't want us to use it, shouldn't have come up with it.

We ditched it in the 1800's before association football even came into being. We then gave the term football to the world, only for some yanks to dredge it up over a hundred years later and inflict it back on us because they ignored the rest of the world and gave their excessively over analysed game of catch the same name.

Sorry but I thought it was a good read and made sense.

I know you won't want to hear it from me but I agree mate, we are skint and we do over achieve and I am grateful we've got Moyes and we could be in a worse position.. We could be so much more though with a different owner and that's what I think most people are upset about. Imagine Moyes who is so lauded in that write up actually given even half of what LFC spend, it would potentially be an unbelievable team.

We ditched it in the 1800's before association football even came into being. We then gave the term football to the world, only for some yanks to dredge it up over a hundred years later and inflict it back on us because they ignored the rest of the world and gave their excessively over analysed game of catch the same name.

Well, the word "soccer" actually comes from "association." And why no hate for Canada?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-19826327

I thought it was funny considering the "Haha look at the American's try to talk about football" going on here that today this article started circulating the interwebs as "Haha look at the Brits try to talk about baseball".
Fine by me. I dont have a clue about baseball and I'm sure even our 'official' news sources can do no better than awful, shallow analysis. I'm happy to be laughed at for knowing nothing about baseball - I don't

Nah many Americans are bad Anglophiles and would love it if you started using your funny lingo to describe, say, an NFL game.

You realize we aren't the only people to call it soccer, right? Besides, who's trying to rename it in England? We call it soccer. We say we won two-nothing. We say cleats. We know that's not what you do, but why does it friggin matter? You know what I'm saying. Do I lose my ****e when some one calls our football "Gridiron" (also a misnomer), or adds an extra 'i' to aluminum (weirdos)? No. Because that's dumb.

It was a decent article, written by an American to an American audience. Geeeez. Saturday can't come soon enough so we have a game...sorry, match to talk about.

Hugs and kisses xoxo

When you type "soccer in" the search box of wikipedia the first five results are United States, Australia, Canada, South Africa and New Zealand. All former British colonies. You guys brought this on yourselves.

And we have finished top four once and won one trophy in the last 25 years. We can't make fun of Liverpool fans for still thinking they are a top club if we throw a hissy fit when someone calls us a medium sized club.

Status
Not open for further replies.