Everton, the Medium Sized Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the Saffers. And the Irish.

If I needed any more proof that you were wrong I'd have it due to the quality of your allies, to be honest.

we all call it soccer here in Ireland, we also wear hats on our feet and balance spoons on our noses... but all this is just to confuse tourists.

American is to English as Mexican is to Spanish... identical grammar and vocabulary for the most part but not the same languages. This is the most redundant argument I've seen on this forum since I've joined and I now feel bad for even joining in.... i should just delete my reply...

we all call it soccer here in Ireland, we also wear hats on our feet and balance spoons on our noses... but all this is just to confuse tourists.

American is to English as Mexican is to Spanish... identical grammar and vocabulary for the most part but not the same languages. This is the most redundant argument I've seen on this forum since I've joined and I now feel bad for even joining in.... i should just delete my reply...

Yes you should. And remember who your closest to while your at it Mick.

Soccer eh? Just an American word and like was said earlier, its not like the Americans use it over here and it effects our game, hell what impact has America had on good ole footie anyway?
Okay so we play on Sundays for American TV and they dictate our fixture lists, we can't watch our games anymore on non American TV channels, but if we buy a bit of American, we can watch soccer AM and Soccer saturday instead of Football Focus, but that aside, and aside from creating revenue streams that massively outweigh fan base income, to the point it tips the balance of power from the fans to the TV company.. how have they possibly made a difference? Well with that one word...
Yes its global, yes EFC, FA, EUFA, FIFA all call it football but its okay because a century of tradition is irrelevent when it comes to the financial revenue for a good ole US of A TV station..
Soccer.. its just a word, why is anyone upset about it? probably they are not.. but it p****s me off because of what it represents?
Selling our traditions.

I am seething.

Football comes from here. I don't give a **** how Americanized the world has become it doesn't make it right.

The fact of the matter is, we are not arrogant enough to take an American sport and start calling it what we feel like and using all sorts of stupid words to 'English-ize' it. We don't call baseball 'rounders'- which is exactly what it is. As an English speaking country you should follow our lead on our national sport ffs.

I don't necessarily disagree. But its not going to happen. Keep in mind that this only is an issue because football is much more popular in the States (and growing) than any American sport is in the UK, which is a good thing.

I don't necessarily disagree. But its not going to happen. Keep in mind that this only is an issue because football is much more popular in the States (and growing) than any American sport is in the UK, which is a good thing.

That's because no one plays their sports and anyone who doesn't play ours gets conquered and forced to.. Well that's how we used to do it anyway. Good times.

Fair do's mate. Just so you know I'll be starting a national campaign for all your sports where men wear tights, I.e. All of them, to be referred to as ballet.

Good day sir!

Pretty reasonable comparisons. I might have used the Oakland A's rather than the Tigers, but it still works.

Had the A's stayed in Philly, true. Actually, perfect - even though they haven't historically won as much as Everton or the Detroit Tigers. However, they've moved that franchise (watches nik wince) all over the lot. If they hadn't run out of territory, they'd have found someplace west of Oakland to drag them. Philly, Kansas City, Oakland. Go west, old franchise.

The Tigers have a history to the beginning of the league, the glory of the Ty Cobb years (analogous in sports terms to Dixie Dean with one exception - Dean was pretty much a prince of a guy while Ty was a terrible man but a sublime baseballer on the level of the great Dixie as a footballer - unquestionably the best of his era), many World Series titles, a long history in Briggs Field/Tiger Stadium, the closest analogy to Goodison that I can find, and the respect of most baseball fans for being a great original club. A proper club in every sense of the term, as understood on both sides of the big ditch, and a integral part of baseball this year as well, as their presence at the top of the Central division will attest.

Status
Not open for further replies.