Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
how do we reconcile saying Everton are able to attract players because they can pay high wages and also complaining that those same players are on high wages

….paying high wages isn’t an issue if the player makes a very effective contribution. Our problem is we pay high wages to too many footballers who fail to make an impact.

I just hope they are losing Grealish otherwise they'll be waltzing past us this season.

Very impressive recruitment in recent seasons by the Villains meanwhile Brands splurged our budget on Iwobi, Gomes, Kean & Delph yet still some love the bloke.

Yeah, like two seasons ago when they spent £150m on absolute dross and nearly went down?

Last season they got a few good players in martinez, traore and Watkins but Watkins was a huge gamble at £30m for a 24 year old from the championship (If brands had done that deal you'd be loosing your mind). They also paid 15m for cash who I dont think it very good and 15m for sanson who I didn't even know they'd bought because he only played 9 games then got dropped for the rest of the season.

Oh and let's not forget that they've just brought back ashely young at 36. Top business that.

Still suprises me that a team so full of obvious world beaters such as villa still only managed to finish 11th 4 points behind us after we had a terrible season.

Somehow most people don’t think this applies to us. FFP has not gone away and it is shaping the shape of the summer transfers.
Leicester are the only team in the league to have smashed the code. They embraced one big sale a season and that has allowed them to re-invest and improve the team regularly. Granted Leicester have players that other teams seem willing to pay over the odds for it's a strategy that works.
We are now suffering for 5 years of terrible decisions, largely from Walsh and Koeman but also the board and Moshiri. Bad manager appointments, poor direction.... it all adds up. And be absolutely sure, if the Premierleague were to make an example of one team for breaking the rules it would be us. We're not one of their beloved six and we're not some yoyo club jumping between the division. We're big enough and historic enough for it to an impact whilst small enough for it to not affect the Prem's brand.

I just hope they are losing Grealish otherwise they'll be waltzing past us this season.

Very impressive recruitment in recent seasons by the Villains meanwhile Brands splurged our budget on Iwobi, Gomes, Kean & Delph yet still some love the bloke.
I don’t get why people say he wasted on gomes. Most Will admit, they wanted him on a permanent after his loan spell. Kean, wouldn’t say wasted money on either, people on here want him sold, when he’s not really been given a chance. Iwobi yes I agree. Personally thought delph could have been a shrewd bit of business. But it didnt work out this time.
Money wasted have been, klassen, tosun and the players alike!

I don’t get why people say he wasted on gomes. Most Will admit, they wanted him on a permanent after his loan spell. Kean, wouldn’t say wasted money on either, people on here want him sold, when he’s not really been given a chance. Iwobi yes I agree. Personally thought delph could have been a shrewd bit of business. But it didnt work out this time.
Money wasted have been, klassen, tosun and the players alike!

…it really doesn’t matter what we thought, we’re not paid a vast amount of money to get these deals right. It’s not a popularity contest.

Waste is waste whatever the department mate.
And it's not just or primarily about wages, it's about what they provide for the wages.
If you're in a job that rarely or doesn't bother to set targets and offer bonuses for exceeding the targets, you enter a 'comfort zone'.

I'd go so far as to suggest that a complete review of every single employee, their job specification and salary package be carried out and changes implemented to improve the productivity of every department. And if that meant reducing basic salaries but, offering substantial bonuses based upon exceeding targets, then that's well worth considering.
The more the people produce, the more they can earn - exceeding targets pays for itself.

For example... car salespeople are paid a relative pittance of a basic salary because they're incentivised to sell add-ons... accessories, finance packages etc.
You walk into any car showroom and after the initial chat about the car, the first thing they want to talk to you about is 'and over how long would you like to finance the car?' Because they're incentivised to sell a finance package. They earn more from the finance company than they do for actually selling the car.

Tell the salesperson you want to pay cash and watch his face sink... 'cos his commission has just evaporated.

It starts at the top too, and with anything like that for it to have any credibility it has to start with the top. Everton's CEO should have a target set around commercial growth (outside of TV). Maybe 30% YOY improvements. I'm not sure DBB has any of that and in all honesty it shows.

Unsworth should have a target of getting the previous season's young players X amount of games in the football league on loan, and X amount of minutes in the PL. Brands to bring in X amount in sales per years. You would have a big plan of what the club needs to support it's 1st team manager, and see that everyone has a part to play in this.

It drives success for the business too. As when the decision to play a pre-season tour comes up again, the head of sales is massively pushing for America not Wales. Brands in the above instance is taking a firmer stance with the manager on certain players. Unsworth is probably more assertive in saying "look loan this lad out or get him in the 1st team squad as I can't do any more with him". In your car sales analogy (which is an apt one) you see what happens to said car salesman if they find out the finance company they are using have an APR 2% above the rest of the showrooms on the trading estate. They will be banging on the managers door telling them to get a better deal sorted out.

It doesn't even have to be a punitive process either. It can be around financial rewards. What you're doing though is signalling what is important to the entire business which doesn't seem to happen currently.

Its there to keep the Big 6 happy and the rest of the pack trailing in their wake, its totally unfair the way its set up.

In what other industry would the top performers(enabled by the governing bodies) not allow their competitors to invest and compete on a level playing feld.
It’s absolutely anti-competitive. They used the likes of Leeds’ problems as a smokescreen to implement financial policies which pull the trap door firmly up behind the elite.

IMO it’s up to owners to run their businesses in a sustainable way but there should be scope for investment in players if owners have the finances and desire to do so.

Said that for ages, FFP is just another form of super league, it keeps the " cream" at the top, hate it.

I do wonder though if we are happy ourselves with it - being realistic with Usmanov in the picture say the new stadiums naming rights is £25 million a season - add that to the £12 million FF deal and thats £37 million a year extra we have over our "rivals" outside the top 6 such as Leicester, Villa, West Ham etc.

Add the new stadiums revenue itself down the line and maybe Everton are happy to play the long game?

Its grim now but I imagine once all the deadwood is out of contract next season, the naming rights deal starts being in pay later in the year and likely a big Richarlison sale next summer the club will have the tools to be able to attempt a rebuild.

I imagine the club were happy enough selling Kean to PSG for a tidy profit this summer and bringing in 2-3 good players but with them playing silly buggars its left us in the lurch.

I'm sorry Tim I don't agree.

I'm not a lover of what Brands has done since he's been here. He's pretty much underwhelmed.

But he never bought in most of these average players and gave them silly wages. That's an horrific combination when it comes to offloading.

His hands have been pretty much tied with outgoings. I do think he could have done a lot better with incomings though.

The following players were recruited under his tenure

Iwobi
Delph
Gomes
Kean

All of them have been underwhelming signings who haven't performed and we need to move some of them on.

Bernard was another of his signings who didn't perform, but thankfully we were able to find him a new club. Gbamin has just been bad luck - not blaming anyone on that.

He needs to find solutions to improve the squad. The 3 signings we have made are not going to help us compete unless they are supplemented by quality players around them. We need a right back urgently. I just cannot understand how we still have't brought one in on a permanent contract. We needed one the day Brands joined the club.

It's not even so much who we bring in, it's the gaps left in the squad every summer. We let our only back up forward go on loan last season without a replacement. I had no issue with letting Kean go, but no replacement left us extremely short of options. Walcott was a similar one. He had a bit of pace and something different but we let him go without a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.