Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pickford will be our number 1 next year. Nobody will pay what we’d consider selling for and we’re not going to spend big on a replacement unless he’s sold. Odds are we sign Olsen for the small fee Roma want and move with that.
That’s the most likely scenario.

....possibly, but I hope we don’t sign Olsen. We shouldn’t make do with mediocracy, I‘d much prefer our scouting network to find some value out in the big world of football. i accept goalkeeping standards appear to have fallen, but surely there’s a talent out there that wouldn’t cost the earth and could ultimately put pressure on Pickford.

....possibly, but I hope we don’t sign Olsen. We shouldn’t make do with mediocracy, I‘d much prefer our scouting network to find some value out in the big world of football. i accept goalkeeping standards appear to have fallen, but surely there’s a talent out there that wouldn’t cost the earth and could ultimately put pressure on Pickford.
This means replacing Pickford full stop

He'd be too expensive this summer as well. Stuttgart don't want to sell, the players they're more likely to lose this summer are Mangala and Gonzalez.
Re Silas, I don't think Mislintat would be tempted below the 40m Euros mark, which would make him (in of) the main signing(s) of the window for the buyer. I doubt, he'd end up being that much of a priority for Everton.
Stuggart have a really decent side, can imagine some big clubs will be fishing around Sosa too and wouldn't be surprised to see Mangala be in the Prem soon.

...I agree, but the assumption is Pickford will still be here next season. I really don’t want two mediocre keepers (3 if we include Virginia).
Yes that's fair but you've said we need someone to challenge Pickford and I just think if we're aiming for the top he needs to be replaced outright by someone better.

We really do not have a gap bigger than GK except for RB. Our first team player at every other position is at least an average PL player.

Think midfield is the priority after a right back. Our inability to retain the ball and/or dictate the pace of the game needs fixing if we are to progres.

I’d like us to take a shot on a younger keeper from a not top 4 league. We don’t really seem to do much shopping for unknown quantities.

We dropped pickford for many games and Olsen made just as many mistakes. Against Man Utd he was terrible.

I was not fortunate enough to witness us during the Neville Southall days but I’m sure he had an off day every now and then and went through a bad spell? Can anyone recall?

He’s had really good moments and really bad moments. Two clean sheets in a row and some good saves in the process maybe the old Pickford is back now.
The first thing that comes to mind when I think of Big Nev is him saving shots that should have been goals not the other way around. i'm sure he let in the odd howler as he is human but i cant remember it.

The first thing that comes to mind when I think of Big Nev is him saving shots that should have been goals not the other way around. i'm sure he let in the odd howler as he is human but i cant remember it.
Yep, this.

I recall a double save in the '95 cup final - he had absolutely no business getting anywhere close to the second shot and yet he did.

You're crazy if you don't think Alisson and De Gea have been value for the money spent. I agree that we don't need to spend big to find quality but if the quality is there to be spent on we should do it and neither of those are cautionary tales at all.

What I'm saying is that both clubs got short-run returns in return for the transfer fees. De Gea's value proposition for the wages spent after the failed Madrid deal has been extremely questionable. Alisson's may become such, or may not - his form has been spotty since the restart, but so has the defense in front of him.

Clubs rarely buy a long-term solution like Buffon or Neuer in the transfer market, rendering recent inflated transfer fees for the position questionable. If it's the last gap to plug, sure, splash the cash on Donnarumma and go chase silverware. If not, you're probably better off making purchases that are more likely to pay off in terms of longevity at a high level or a sell-on fee, and hunting for a quality GK that is not a "name".

I mean that's literally what we did with Pickford.
Huh? We signed him from Sunderland directly after a premier league campaign. He was in no way an unknown quantity or from a not top league...He was an overrated English keeper that leaked goals left and right but made the flashy save from time to time.

Huh? We signed him from Sunderland directly after a premier league campaign. He was in no way an unknown quantity or from a not top league...He was an overrated English keeper that leaked goals left and right but made the flashy save from time to time.
He was young and we signed him from a Championship side.

Status
Not open for further replies.