Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gah, are you two at it again already?

A lot of dust has to settle from the last couple of days before we can predict anything. We could be looking at a Great Last Hurrah summer where everyone knows big changes to spending are coming down the pipeline and the players that are available get surprisingly expensive relative to post-COVID expectations.

We could be looking at a giant fire sale of the assets of Madrid, Barca and the Italian clubs generally where Zat's 'crack-induced' 167 million pounds will buy you a quality starting 11...if you have it. The six English clubs could get banished to League Two and all their players could all be available on a free to the highest bidder, or their players could all agree to hand in transfer requests if the clubs aren't put on the block because the relationship with ownership is irreparably damaged.

This insanity is far from over.
There is still a lot to play out in this affair
Perez and Laporta are not going down alone
They will air all the dirty washing in public and some clubs will find themselves in bad straits financially
Madrid and Barca have effectively admitted they are financially screwed and I do not think a reasonable offer for any of their players will be rejected
City or PSG may move for Messi as I doubt Barca can afford his new deal

Maybe.

It could be a fairly dry summer with the home run balls that we'll never get out there, and not much else, such that we're better off plugging the major holes and otherwise not overpaying for dross.

It could be a bargain-hunter's dream as top clubs and second/third tier teams alike all have to liquidate some assets to balance the books. There's still the specter of litigation over the ESL contract out there, though I suspect with everyone pulling out in droves that will be found to be unenforceable.

We'll get some clarity on what we're looking at in the next few weeks as all of the dust starts to settle.
Not a scooby me
And I can make some sense out of what @Joey66 posts :)@COYBL25

People are aware that we are currently breaching FFP, right?

If UEFA is currently looking the other way because COVID is rendering compliance impossible broadly, well, that which is not expressly forbidden is allowed. That said, it's risky because it puts us in a position where UEFA could single us out for punishment after the fact.

It's the same conundrum confronted by the cyclists of two decades ago. Everyone was obviously cheating, so if you wanted to win you had to join the club, but doing so left you vulnerable to subsequent reprisals.

I would argue that what ultimately brought Armstrong down may not have been the cheating itself, but rather the perception that he built up a holier-than-thou image while simultaneously cheating and denying it. That should be a cautionary tale to us, with our focus on charitable endeavours and community. Those who want to pull us down continually make statements indicating that they see us in much the same way many saw Armstrong.

I think that we have to be very careful as a result. Going on a spending binge this summer might well ultimately lead to Pyrrhic victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.