Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think we can file this as absolute nonsense. No way Benitez comes in having worked with Paul Dummett and Federico Fernandez and decides that Godfrey, Keane and Mina aren't good enough.
Yeah I think it’s rubbish. Spanish media probably trying to flog half the Barca squad so they can keep Messi!

Couldn’t agree more. “The project” is basically what we say to try to lure players who wouldn’t normally give us the time of day. It means that we can’t go toe to toe with the big boys but give us a chance now and we’ll be at that level later.

As you said, though, rather than there being a clear roadmap from A to B we just sign a disparate bunch of players and hope that the project will just kind of reveal itself as we go along.

Yes to all of that mate.

And because the scale of money is completely different we are not attracting the top level of talent anyway. What City and Chelsea did, was attract some of the best players in the world.

I think the owner has been too focused at trying to show everyone how much money he has, and how much ambition he has, and not enough on following a proper plan that might improve results.

And while it's not buttons, 55m a year is not enough to cover for bad planning.

I mentioned a couple of as you say Spain under 21's who have probably not earned big money. I am working to the premise Benitez and Brands know of them and feel they could do a decent job.

I also think that Kubo they loaned out could be an interesting acquisition for us. 2 or 3 of them to help with the fee would make some sense to me, and they all feel quite attainable.It also helps a fair bit with FFP if you can structure a deal like that. As a left field selection I'd love that Rodrygo on loan for a year, I don't think they would sell him to us or he would come, but maybe for a year he could be a useful addition.

Ideally would be a sale or a loan with obligation to buy + we have 3 players on loan with options to buy.

That could be brilliant.

If you go to Transfermarkt we are 5th. I appreciate it's not chicken feed, and we should have spent better/more astutely, however it is a long long way from what Chelsea/City did when 1st taken over. They were both 1st, but also 1st by over twice the distance to the nearest competitors. On the list above it would be that we likely spent 250m a season for 5 years, as opposed to 55m per season for 5 seasons. There is a qualitative difference.

And we have spent the money in a similar way to what they did, but just a lot less of it, and as a fanbase we seem to have the expectation we could/should have emulated what they did, when really it was an apples and pears comparison.

Realistically, we should have gone from 11th to the top 6 in that time. Maybe the top 4. Had we have spent with more of a long term view, in a more "Moyes" type way we may well have improved the asset sheet and be able to spend bigger and bigger as players move on.

We will not be able to bully our way to the top though on 50m a year. There are already 2/3/4 teams who spend more than that every year and 6 who have a much higher wage bill on top. I do worry we are going to keep banging our head against a wall if we try.

I'm no statistician, but that table gives very little hint of what methodology has been used even if you are to accept that their figures are correct. It's certainly not listed from highest to lowest, and even if you look at the placing number on the left, there are teams placed lower than other teams despite having higher figures in each metric.

Just one example would be Aston Villa. A yearly spend of 40 million, a Net spend of 200 million, yet they are placed three places below Newcastle, and are supposedly 15th in the league.

If you believe that chart, our net spend figure is about 75 million pound more than the likes of Brighton and Villa. That's an extra 75 million over five years. If you look at Wolves , our net spend is said to be about 100 million pound more over five years. An additional 20 million pound per year in comparison to your mid-table rivals really isn't going to give us that much of an advantage, especially when the money keeps on being wasted. The truth is that 20 million pound isn't a big figure in the Premier League. Even 100 million, over a period of five years, isn't that big in the world of the Premier League.

We aren't being neglected like we were under Kenwright but I don't think we are being massively backed either. I think we are being backed slightly more than the average and the money is mostly being wasted. I know the new stadium is on the horizon, but the person that is supposed to be pulling the strings (Usmanov) is actually considerably more wealthy than Roman Abramovich, but we definitely aren't being backed in an Abramovich style.

When i did the calculations (based on transfermarkt) it was just based on how much we were spending from a low base. I didnt compare with anyone as it seems to be common sense that it wouldnt be enough.

£55mil net a season in anyones money isnt going to be enough to catch City, United or Chelsea.

So, immediately were looking at catching Arsenal, Spurs, Leicester and Liverpool.

Three of those have far higher record transfers than us and the fourth (Leicester) are miles ahead of us -- just looking at:

Tielemans
Ndidi
Fofana

Those 3 are players we could have signed (and apparently we were offered Fofana and Tielemans before them) and would break our transfer record to sign today.

At CB, RB, CM × 3, RF were 6 players short if we were aiming to build a progressive young first 11.

If Moshiri's bluster about competing at the top is to be believed then we need to increase our net spend to £100mil over the next 3 seasons before we have the stadium.

Looking back to last summer, we spent £65mil after hiring Ancelotti. Thats not good enough.

Yes to all of that mate.

And because the scale of money is completely different we are not attracting the top level of talent anyway. What City and Chelsea did, was attract some of the best players in the world.

I think the owner has been too focused at trying to show everyone how much money he has, and how much ambition he has, and not enough on following a proper plan that might improve results.

And while it's not buttons, 55m a year is not enough to cover for bad planning.
Context is everything isn’t it? Depending on what you read, we signed 4 outfield players last year for an average of £15m or so each. They’ve all gone into the first XI and done varying degrees of well.

We are in the unenviable position of need quality AND quantity, and as you say we have to satisfy those needs while not falling afoul of FFP etc.

If £50m-£60m spend is what the club thinks it can get away with in respect of the latter point, we’re essentially having to choose between 3-4 “good” squad players or a (potentially) “great” (£40m+) player plus maybe one more good’un for the squad.

Bottom line is that we’re at the centre of a perfect storm of our own creation and I think I can safely say that not one poster in this thread is going to be able to have their transfer wishes fulfilled entirely. Best case, we’ll perform some major surgery over the next 2-3 years (I tend to agree with Brands that January windows are a waste of time). Not a sexy proposition, but the reality, I feel.

Ideally would be a sale or a loan with obligation to buy + we have 3 players on loan with options to buy.

That could be brilliant.

When i did the calculations (based on transfermarkt) it was just based on how much we were spending from a low base. I didnt compare with anyone as it seems to be common sense that it wouldnt be enough.

£55mil net a season in anyones money isnt going to be enough to catch City, United or Chelsea.

So, immediately were looking at catching Arsenal, Spurs, Leicester and Liverpool.

Three of those have far higher record transfers than us and the fourth (Leicester) are miles ahead of us -- just looking at:

Tielemans
Ndidi
Fofana

Those 3 are players we could have signed (and apparently we were offered Fofana and Tielemans before them) and would break our transfer record to sign today.

At CB, RB, CM × 3, RF were 6 players short if we were aiming to build a progressive young first 11.

If Moshiri's bluster about competing at the top is to be believed then we need to increase our net spend to £100mil over the next 3 seasons before we have the stadium.

Looking back to last summer, we spent £65mil after hiring Ancelotti. Thats not good enough.
Your mention of Leicester signings again makes me wonder what Brands does exactly.

Context is everything isn’t it? Depending on what you read, we signed 4 outfield players last year for an average of £15m or so each. They’ve all gone into the first XI and done varying degrees of well.

We are in the unenviable position of need quality AND quantity, and as you say we have to satisfy those needs while not falling afoul of FFP etc.

If £50m-£60m spend is what the club thinks it can get away with in respect of the latter point, we’re essentially having to choose between 3-4 “good” squad players or a (potentially) “great” (£40m+) player plus maybe one more good’un for the squad.

Bottom line is that we’re at the centre of a perfect storm of our own creation and I think I can safely say that not one poster in this thread is going to be able to have their transfer wishes fulfilled entirely. Best case, we’ll perform some major surgery over the next 2-3 years (I tend to agree with Brands that January windows are a waste of time). Not a sexy proposition, but the reality, I feel.

I updated the 'player contract expiry dates' thread and weve got 10 players out of contract next summer.

If were really intent on following FFP then alot of them + those expiring in 2023 need to be sold now...as well as some dross on longer term deals.

Brands has signed a lot of players who shouldnt be here anymore and hopefully his experience of the past few years means we sign better players.

Your mention of Leicester signings again makes me wonder what Brands does exactly.

Theres 3 French youngsters we could sign tomorrow who follow the same model...

Tchouameni, Kamara and Badiashile.

Thats off the top of my head and yet who knows how we will contrive to waste money this summer.

I updated the 'player contract expiry dates' thread and weve got 10 players out of contract next summer.

If were really intent on following FFP then alot of them + those expiring in 2023 need to be sold now...as well as some dross on longer term deals.

Brands has signed a lot of players who shouldnt be here anymore and hopefully his experience of the past few years means we sign better players.

Theres 3 French youngsters we could sign tomorrow who follow the same model...

Tchouameni, Kamara and Badiashile.

Thats off the top of my head and yet who knows how we will contrive to waste money this summer.
Herein lies the eternal issue, doesn't it? This thread is chocka with declarations like "we need to sell X, Y and Z", but that has proven far, far easier said than done. The problem with buying crap is you're stuck with it until their contracts expire for the most part. People will no doubt bemoan Brands for not doing his job, but I defy any DoF to get shut of some of these donkeys.

Herein lies the eternal issue, doesn't it? This thread is chocka with declarations like "we need to sell X, Y and Z", but that has proven far, far easier said than done. The problem with buying crap is you're stuck with it until their contracts expire for the most part. People will no doubt bemoan Brands for not doing his job, but I defy any DoF to get shut of some of these donkeys.

The issue i think is that brands signed alot of these donkeys and/or extended their contracts...

Its mind blowing to go through the list and see the names hes signed on there that need to be sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.