Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could make a case for buying a ball playing CB if you think Mina makes too many errors (and you can make a case for that). It might well be that Benitez sees Godfrey as the solution at RB. Lenglet would fit the ball-player type but unfortunately he has been a calamitously poor defender at Barca so he is hardly a more secure option than Mina.

You could make a case for buying a ball playing CB if you think Mina makes too many errors (and you can make a case for that). It might well be that Benitez sees Godfrey as the solution at RB. Lenglet would fit the ball-player type but unfortunately he has been a calamitously poor defender at Barca so he is hardly a more secure option than Mina.
Lenglet was our first choice before we signed Mina

3rd, only beaten by the 2 Manchester Clubs.

Stop crying about 55million a season, its exceptional for Premier League teams.

View attachment 132706

Its embarrassing the way you keep spouting this 55million a season like its chicken feed.

I'm no statistician, but that table gives very little hint of what methodology has been used even if you are to accept that their figures are correct. It's certainly not listed from highest to lowest, and even if you look at the placing number on the left, there are teams placed lower than other teams despite having higher figures in each metric.

Just one example would be Aston Villa. A yearly spend of 40 million, a Net spend of 200 million, yet they are placed three places below Newcastle, and are supposedly 15th in the league.

If you believe that chart, our net spend figure is about 75 million pound more than the likes of Brighton and Villa. That's an extra 75 million over five years. If you look at Wolves , our net spend is said to be about 100 million pound more over five years. An additional 20 million pound per year in comparison to your mid-table rivals really isn't going to give us that much of an advantage, especially when the money keeps on being wasted. The truth is that 20 million pound isn't a big figure in the Premier League. Even 100 million, over a period of five years, isn't that big in the world of the Premier League.

We aren't being neglected like we were under Kenwright but I don't think we are being massively backed either. I think we are being backed slightly more than the average and the money is mostly being wasted. I know the new stadium is on the horizon, but the person that is supposed to be pulling the strings (Usmanov) is actually considerably more wealthy than Roman Abramovich, but we definitely aren't being backed in an Abramovich style.

I'm no statistician, but that table gives very little hint of what methodology has been used even if you are to accept that their figures are correct. It's certainly not listed from highest to lowest, and even if you look at the placing number on the left, there are teams placed lower than other teams despite having higher figures in each metric.

Just one example would be Aston Villa. A yearly spend of 40 million, a Net spend of 200 million, yet they are placed three places below Newcastle, and are supposedly 15th in the league.

If you believe that chart, our net spend figure is about 75 million pound more than the likes of Brighton and Villa. That's an extra 75 million over five years. If you look at Wolves , our net spend is said to be about 100 million pound more over five years. An additional 20 million pound per year in comparison to your mid-table rivals really isn't going to give us that much of an advantage, especially when the money keeps on being wasted. The truth is that 20 million pound isn't a big figure in the Premier League. Even 100 million, over a period of five years, isn't that big in the world of the Premier League.

We aren't being neglected like we were under Kenwright but I don't think we are being massively backed either. I think we are being backed slightly more than the average and the money is mostly being wasted. I know the new stadium is on the horizon, but the person that is supposed to be pulling the strings (Usmanov) is actually considerably more wealthy than Roman Abramovich, but we definitely aren't being backed in an Abramovich style.
But sadly as we've found,it's not what you spend but how you spend it.

City and Chelsea became far richer than everyone else overnight and spent those amounts buying up world class talent (or so they thought, some duds in there obvs).

When we came into a few bob all it served to do was catch us up in spending power to a few of the teams previously above us, still well short of the big boys. If we don’t have a clear spending advantage, the super expensive (and so you assume world class) players won’t come to us because they can get the same or more elsewhere with a realistic expectation of honours in the short term.

All we have to offer is “the project” which thus far has seen us assemble a poor squad, see off a load of managers and limp to a lacklustre finish the first time we thought we had a suitable manager and the beginnings of a squad rebuild in place.

We COULD spend £80m on a £40m player just to appease a few in here but we all know how that plays out in the long term.

Yes all really good points. City and specifically Chelsea had two real advantages over us.
1) No onerous FFP considerations.
2) The inflation boom that occurred from around 2003-2018 hadn't occurred. When Chelsea are taken over, the season before the entire spend from all teams in the PL is around 300m. It remains similar the following season but Chelsea spend about 150m on top.

If we focus on the 2nd point, in that world, 55m net and probably 125m gross would have taken you a long long way. However the world Moshiri inherited spending was around 1.5bn (and peaked around 1.8bn) in spending (albeit looks like it may dip to around the 1bn mark). Either way though, its anywhere from around 1/3 to 1/6 of the spend made available for Chelsea in real terms.

There is then historic disadvantage, and that our wage bill is still only around 1/2 of what the top teams are. So the idea that we could bulldoze our way into the top positions on spending alone doesn't feel right to me.

The issue is, I'm not sure there has ever really been a clear project. I just think we've thought if we lash a 100m at certain managers we will magically find ourselves in the top 4. It hasn't happened yet, but who knows. I fairness, there were a lot of improvements under Ancelotti and if those improvements continue under Benitez, we may actually get close. I still don't think it's the most effective way to spend money though.

I dont think people will be happy if we sell them and then dont sign anyone, but I think most people are realistic to know that if a player wants to leave the best thing you can do is sell them for a good price and bring in players who want to be at the club. If we sell those 2 hopefully it will give us the money to bring in 3-4 players and strengthen the team overall.
We are not selling either of those two, the OP is just a wum

Yes all really good points. City and specifically Chelsea had two real advantages over us.
1) No onerous FFP considerations.
2) The inflation boom that occurred from around 2003-2018 hadn't occurred. When Chelsea are taken over, the season before the entire spend from all teams in the PL is around 300m. It remains similar the following season but Chelsea spend about 150m on top.

If we focus on the 2nd point, in that world, 55m net and probably 125m gross would have taken you a long long way. However the world Moshiri inherited spending was around 1.5bn (and peaked around 1.8bn) in spending (albeit looks like it may dip to around the 1bn mark). Either way though, its anywhere from around 1/3 to 1/6 of the spend made available for Chelsea in real terms.

There is then historic disadvantage, and that our wage bill is still only around 1/2 of what the top teams are. So the idea that we could bulldoze our way into the top positions on spending alone doesn't feel right to me.

The issue is, I'm not sure there has ever really been a clear project. I just think we've thought if we lash a 100m at certain managers we will magically find ourselves in the top 4. It hasn't happened yet, but who knows. I fairness, there were a lot of improvements under Ancelotti and if those improvements continue under Benitez, we may actually get close. I still don't think it's the most effective way to spend money though.
Couldn’t agree more. “The project” is basically what we say to try to lure players who wouldn’t normally give us the time of day. It means that we can’t go toe to toe with the big boys but give us a chance now and we’ll be at that level later.

As you said, though, rather than there being a clear roadmap from A to B we just sign a disparate bunch of players and hope that the project will just kind of reveal itself as we go along.

Status
Not open for further replies.