Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deflecting answer. The £55m net spend means nothing in isolation. A £55m net spend is also an extra £70m in wages over the next 5 years. We had a series of long expensive wage contracts to afford to the likes of Besic, Bolasie, Niasse, Sandro - no-one was going to take them off our hands and none ofthem was going to agree to leave on such lucrative deals.

I'm not saying bad decisions weren't made, but I am suggesting that it's difficult to spend more on expensive new players when you can't recoup, and yet still have to service over-blown contracts AND sign new, beefier contracts for the players that you actually want to keep.

This is why net spend is a pretty meaningless argument.

Ive made the same argument many times in the past about the wages / FFP / shifting players etc

The fact is though that an owner who claims to want the club to operate towards the top of the league and challenge has spent £55mil net a season.

The transfer record is around £44mil for Sigurdsson.

If you simply compare the Everton transfer record with competitors + even compare the number of players we sign over £30mil to our competitors then you'll find a massive disparity.

My guess would be that numbers wise we should be around 7th but even then teams like Villa are catching up.

Whats more frustrating than losing Ancelotti and bringing in Benitez is having the same group of players and no ambition to greatly recycle the squad.

Kamara has been on the radar for a while.

I think a £5m bid would bring him in.

How underwhelming.

It's not dissimilar to us paying 30m for Michael keane

Athletic, quick, ball playing defender

VS

An oaf

Hope we get Ben White as rumoured.

Arsenal seems almost done

I think that's why we might be best looking st the younger players (who will not be on those salaries).

Who would you ask for in a straight swap?

i noticed you mentioned a couple of young spanish u21 players.

That would make alot of sense with Benitez being manager...also their values /salaries would be relatively small so we may be able to bring a few of them in.

Seems a strange one though considering our squad depth at CB. Keane, Holgate, Mina, Godfrey, and Branthwaite waiting in the wings.

As many others have posted, Mina only has 2 years left (and picks up small injuries) and Keane is an oaf.

In theory if we go with 4 at the back we could move one of those players on and Branthwaite could step up -- if 5 at the back its only just enough.

If we want to get the best from Godfrey then i dont think sitting very deep (which we must do with Keane) makes any sense at all.

If Benitez has anything about him (and he seems to go on about 'balance') then he wont anchor our defence by going with Keane.

Status
Not open for further replies.