Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate, his time at Burnley is the only time spent at a level we’d be expecting him to play at, in his career.

Brentford were in League One when he played for them, weren’t they?

The potential transfer just stinks, to me. We’re supposedly up for paying him north of £90k (£120k reported in some areas) a week to bring what? “Passion and leadership” like Ashley Williams did? Or his notable passing stats from his halcyon League One days?

If there was a defender with great ball skills in League One NOW that we felt had the potential to transfer his skills to PL, that’d be more of an appropriate gamble than yet another late 20s PL player who will be on prohibitively high wages meaning that when he inevitably stinks the gaff out we’re stuck with him for the duration of his contract.

It may well be that I just have a dim view of any such potential transfer because of our recent dealings, but you know what they say: 34 times bitten, twice shy.
Thing is, I actually agree with you on most of this.

Don't love the idea of giving £90k per week to a lad who's 30 in a few months. Presumably it'd be a minimum of a 3 year deal, probably longer.

Also think he looks slow on the turn already.

I accept that on a Bosman, it might be attractive to a club in our position, but I feel like it's sticking a plaster on things. In an ideal world I'd prefer a player a little younger who we could conceivably sell on at some point.

That said, Lampard wanted him at Chelsea and I think there's a much classier player in there than people give him credit for.

Reasons to keep Mina, he's by far and away our best cb, in fact when fit our defensive record is pretty decent. Maybe part of the thing Lampard said about everything needing changing refers to the medical department and as such he thinks Minas fitness problems can be addressed (none of his injuries are ones that should have a long term reoccurring factor (hammy, Achilles, etc) so IF we can sort out that department we end up with a Mina that was before he arrived who hardly ever missed any time.

Other thing to factor in as well, Mina is entering his last year, chances are no one's gonna pay now when he's free in 12 months, so best we could do is get part of his wages paid by loaning him.

With Keane there's a good chance so wine will actually give us a decentish fee for him, good fitness record, lit if experience and in the right system or with the right cb partner alongside him he's actually a decent player.

I look at Liverpool with Matip, who is similar with injuries. And they have managed his games perfectly. I sense we need to do that with Mina.

As for the CBs, I honestly think it will be the 1st one we get a bid for. They are all imperfect for different reasons. I wonder if Godfrey may get a big from Newcastle.

I look at Liverpool with Matip, who is similar with injuries. And they have managed his games perfectly. I sense we need to do that with Mina.

As for the CBs, I honestly think it will be the 1st one we get a bid for. They are all imperfect for different reasons. I wonder if Godfrey may get a big from Newcastle.
Hopefully one of you is ready to drive him up

Thing is, in isolation Allan and Dacoure are both very decent players, but the key to any of part of a team is how they work with the whole - especially so with their partner next to them.

Think of all the best teams, they either had a player there who was just so good he elevated all those around him (Xavi, Makalele, Keane as three examples) or they worked superbly with a partner and combined they just gelled in what each brought and to an extent covered for the others weaker parts

Think Reid and Bracewell, Petit and Viera, puyol, or numerous other examples.

When the chemistry is wrong you end up with what england had, Lampard and Gerrard both world class individually or playing alongside much poorer players but together looking awful. Now take that down to players a good few levels below and you have what we have, two pretty decent players who together look crap.

It's why the recruitment by proxy is a recipe for disaster, best exemplified by up to now us having players from 5/6 different managers, sone with massively different styles and systems, three sporting directors and an owners she t mate who throws in occasionally a player that nobody wanted there.

And then we call players crap, a large part is no balance, cohesion or collective thought about the team when bringing players in.

It's why for me we need Thelwell and Lampard working together and for a good 2 seasons minimum to finally get a team that can clear out all the mishmash, retain the ones that fit together with the plan and then piece by piece e build an actual team

The key bit of this, is the relationship between Thelwell and Lampard. They need to be on the same page, and understand each other, and compliment each other.

I don't think we have had that so far. We have had a DOF who couldn't do the job, followed by a DOF who wasnt allowed to do the job, used to working in a very different football structure.

You get the sense the only time this worked was really Silva/Brands for that 1st season, but I even get the sense Silva probably had his own agenda.

Thelwells experience at Wolves, with a big agent involved, could be invaluable here. You have to know how to deal with high characters and assert some control.

Moshiri needs to but out, and frankly so does Kenwright. I hope they do.

Hi Curtis. I think the problem is that outside few exceptions and people who pretend they watch the Finnish 3rd division, no one knows anything about players from other leagues so we stick to what we know. I’d happily suggest a couple MLS players but then they’d get poo pood on by people who have never seen them or know anything about them.

The bigger and actual real problem is Evertons actual scouts have a track record worse than the keyboard warriors on GOT.
valid points throughout yes the recruitment should be on the onus of our scouts and DOF but we need to stop pining for previous players ,but I think a MLS player would probably be better received than ross I was going to suggest clint dempsey but apparently he's been retired for four years lol still would rather him than the daft rodent

Last edited:
Thing is, I actually agree with you on most of this.

Don't love the idea of giving £90k per week to a lad who's 30 in a few months. Presumably it'd be a minimum of a 3 year deal, probably longer.

Also think he looks slow on the turn already.

I accept that on a Bosman, it might be attractive to a club in our position, but I feel like it's sticking a plaster on things. In an ideal world I'd prefer a player a little younger who we could conceivably sell on at some point.

That said, Lampard wanted him at Chelsea and I think there's a much classier player in there than people give him credit for.
If we sign him I hope that’s the case! If Leicester sign him, then of course I hope he’s the yard dog I suspect he is…

If we’re intent on playing with a 3 at the back there’s going to be a lot more scrutiny on any CB signings than there was before, because it’s expected they’ll be able to play. If the rumour IS true and it IS a Lampard signing then it’s a bold move from the gaffer. It wouldn’t be a universally accepted signing, that’s for sure, so if we don’t start well it’ll be interesting to see what’s going on in the Lampard thread!!

Villa going for Bissouma too what a sideways move for him that would be he should wait for a CL club. Villa are splashing it around they will probably be in debt up to their ears like us in a few years.
They are going to have squad issues before long, they will be totally overloaded with midfielders for starters and they always have a few good young lads at Villa ready to come through.

Colwill and Gallagher both seem highly rated by your fans and management.

Would that change dependin on a certain fee and a buyback?

Also, whats the general feeling on Gilmour, and Ampadu. Are they on the market?

Any other young players aside from the above who you think Lampard may be after from Chelsea?
As it stands, I can't see us willing to part with either permanently before Tuchel has had a look at least. I do think Colwill is likely to be loaned out on account of his age however - especially if we're able to get two CBs in quickly. Gallagher is a bit more tricky, we've got at least 4 guys who played a decent number of minutes in his position this season - he's not guaranteed minutes by any means and yet I think it's time he gets a chance with the first team squad if he does envision himself as a long term Chelsea player. The fees and/or buyback strategy has been employed in recent years with Tammy, Livramento, Guehi, Tomori, and pretty much all of them are having good seasons which is leading to flak for the board from the fanbase. Makes me think a high profile departure of Gallagher or Colwill(position of importance) might rub everyone the wrong way. If I was to guess - I'd say a loan for Colwill is the most likely outcome.

As for Gilmour and Ampadu, I think there's a bit of a difference in the outlook for both cases. Ampadu has had two relatively unsuccessful loan spells in a row now and his stock seems to have dipped quite heavily. He's still very young but I can't see him staying with the squad next season and I'm guessing he could be bought for the right price or for cheap with a buyback clause. Gilmour only has a year left on his contract so I reckon it might depend on what he wants for himself this season and it would probably depend on how preseason and the summer shapes up.. A lot of Chelsea fans still think he would do well given the right opportunity in the right system and want him to get more chances but Tuchel didn't seem that hot on him and that might be telling in the end.

As for other players, there's a kid called Charlie Webster who plays as a CM in the u18s and u23s and he's had a cracking season at the age groups. He's more of a creative mid from what I've seen (drives with the ball and got an eye for a pass) but I'm interested to see where he goes. If you do end up looking for a forward, then Broja would be an obvious interest I reckon.

Seen a bit of discussion about Gilmour here. My opinion on him: He's clearly got a bit about him in terms of pass appreciation and dictating tempo as well as moving the ball quickly. However, he's not got much of a shot on him, doesn't drive past players (beyond a feint here and there) and has limited ability in terms of dribbling in and around the final third. All of these attributes led me to believe his best position is at the base of a midfield 3 (a la Jorginho) but he really is quite slight and Jorginho is better at what he does albeit a bit slower at recovery and worse at defending 1v1. I personally want a more complete midfielder or I'd like for him to develop his reading of the game defensively more like Jorginho. His speed of thought and passing ability is what Everton might want but really I see Allan with a lot of the same characteristics and he doesn't seem in much favour on this forum..

Status
Not open for further replies.