Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly right @Papa Shango .

It appears that Frank has fallen into a trap in terms of formation and setup.

Yes we needed to upgrade the defence - Mina cannot stay fit and Keane is just abysmal, so a couple new CBs was an obvious and welcome move. Great.

Yes we also need to upgrade the midfield - Onana is a welcome addition but we still need more there. If he gets injured at any point then we are left with exactly the same options as last year (minus anyone we manage to sell or loan out).

Yes we desperately need an infusion of new faces in attack - even if Richarlison had stayed!

BUT what I think has happened is that for whatever reason we have managed to complete our upgrade of the defence completely but made very little progress elsewhere, so Frank has thought to himself "How can I minimise the damage in these first few games, while I wait for the board to get their act together?" and the answer he's settled on is "play more defenders, sit back, absorb the pressure and play for the draw."

The problem with this approach is that ANY team that sits back and just defends in the Prem will eventually concede a goal.

I actually think we'd be no worse off if we switched to a 433 and played a more balanced game because, as you say, we have upgraded our defence. I trust a back 4 of Patterson, Holgate, Tarkowski and Mykolenko WAY more than I trusted Coleman, Holgate, Keane, Mykolenko. So play them and stick Davies, Onana and Iwobi in a three-man midfield, give us a fighting chance in midfield instead of just conceding it from the start. Maybe the extra man in midfield would have got us a draw in one of those first two games, maybe he turns the Forest game into a win.
Spot on mate. Don't be surprised to see Frank field this formation as soon as is possible.

1661499273942.png

Crossed mind mind. Sell Gordon and it only leaves McNeil, Gray and Townsend who are average players who can be used off the bench. Just need a Goalscoring midfielder to add in. The below is not great but probably keeps us up. Short of Skill but plenty of energy and character

Picks
Holgate Coady Tarks

Patts Gana Iwobi Vinegar
Gallagher
Dominic Calvert-Lewin Maupay
Not a fan of Mykolenko, or our new £30m midfielder?

Can I ask everyone a question. Since when did Dominic Calvert-Lewin become Henry, or Bergkamp, or Shearer? He’s terrible, in all honesty. Some people in here saying we would have 9/9 points, top if the league if Dom plays, he’s the last piece of the puzzle etc etc. Dominic Calvert-Lewin is a Championship player at best. He certainly gives us more threat than nothing (which) we have got now, but someone who can only be relied on for about 10-12 goals and play maybe 65-70% of the season is not what we need either. We should be looking for his replacement, not forward partner. Sorry, I just don’t rate him highly at all, that’s my opinion!
That clearly is just nonsense.
Do you even watch DCL play?

...yet makes more sense than £15M for Maupay, also in the final year of his contract but three years older.
Very similar records in the Championship.

I am intrigued by Diaz and I don't hate Maupay, I think he is a fairly useful player, but we really need to be the club who signs Diaz from Forest for 7m or the one who gets Maupay for 1.6m from Saint Etienne. That is our biggest downfall.

Wow challenging for top 8.

The stuff kids dream of as young football fans.

And you do realise that football is in a constant state of flux - we have been relegation candidates once in about 20 years.
Twice. Last year and, as things stand, this year.

We'd all happily swap that for a top-8 challenge, wouldn't we.

Now, as I asked, why would Maupay come here, right now, if not for a dirty great weekly wage? He's 26, he's been comprehensively underwhelming in the Prem, his current club won't pony up in contract negotiations. Tell me why he'd say "Sod you, I'll take a LOWER wage offer from a club that escaped relegation by the skin of it's teeth last year."

We've obviously offered him about £90k per week, and we're going to regret it.

Can I ask everyone a question. Since when did Dominic Calvert-Lewin become Henry, or Bergkamp, or Shearer? He’s terrible, in all honesty. Some people in here saying we would have 9/9 points, top if the league if Dom plays, he’s the last piece of the puzzle etc etc. Dominic Calvert-Lewin is a Championship player at best. He certainly gives us more threat than nothing (which) we have got now, but someone who can only be relied on for about 10-12 goals and play maybe 65-70% of the season is not what we need either. We should be looking for his replacement, not forward partner. Sorry, I just don’t rate him highly at all, that’s my opinion!
We look a much, much, much better side when he is in it.

Watch Brighton in the Prem however and you'll see him spoon an infinitely larger number of chances into row z.

The thing holding brighton back for the last three seasons has been their lack of a finisher up front. They create plenty of chances but score way too few. Who's been their starting striker for most of that period? Maupay.
At the same time, Brighton are widely considered the best run team around, Potter one of the best coaches, and their analytics boffins the smartest kids in the room - and as you say Maupay has been their choice of starting striker for much of the last three years.

To the naked eye yeah it does appear as simple as Brighton don’t take enough chances. But if Maupay was the whole problem or if he wasn’t making a significant contribution then there’s no way Potter and the back room numbers guys wouldn’t pick up on it.

all happily swap that for a top-8 challenge, wouldn't we.

Now, as I asked, why would Maupay come here, right now, if not for a dirty great weekly wage? He's 26, he's been comprehensively underwhelming in the Prem, his current club won't pony up in contract negotiations. Tell me why he'd say "Sod you, I'll take a LOWER wage offer from a club that escaped relegation by the skin of it's teeth last year."

This season is an unknown. And even if we end up relegation contenders it's still twice in 20 years! I can't stand the way our own fans put us down so much like we are some minnows of English football who've just been promoted after years in the championship.

You have no clue about the terms of the contract offer and there could be 100 reasons why he wants to move.

If it emerges that we are paying him silly money then fine, get your knickers in a twist. Until then, what's the point???

We'd all happily swap that for a top-8 challenge, wouldn't we.

Mate, he’s had the phonecall from Frank. I imagine after that he’s agreed to play for free.

Sorry thought you meant rather than spending on McNeil, Maupay and hopefully another, just splash out on one player.

Because if we did that we'd have Gray, injured Townsend, now injury prone Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Rondon and new expensive striker for three positions. Then very Everton if new expensive striker gets an injury!
I would definately have put mcneil and maupay monies together for 1 decent signing up top. Gordon is still here for one of those positions you mentioned. If he goes we can get 2 more with that cash.
I think we have done well defensively this summer but I feel we will be let down scoring goals and creating chances. We aren't bringing in real quality in those positions.

At the same time, Brighton are widely considered the best run team around, Potter one of the best coaches, and their analytics boffins the smartest kids in the room - and as you say Maupay has been their choice of starting striker for much of the last three years.

To the naked eye yeah it does appear as simple as Brighton don’t take enough chances. But if Maupay was the whole problem or if he wasn’t making a significant contribution then there’s no way Potter and the back room numbers guys wouldn’t pick up on it.
Isn’t that ultimately the reason he has fallen down to third in the pecking order behind Undav and Welbeck?

I would definately have put mcneil and maupay monies together for 1 decent signing up top. Gordon is still here for one of those positions you mentioned. If he goes we can get 2 more with that cash.
I think we have done well defensively this summer but I feel we will be let down scoring goals and creating chances. We aren't bringing in real quality in those positions.
To sign a decent striker you are probably looking at a big initial payment which we probably can not do right now. Not many clubs are going to sell their top striker (which they would have to be) for buttons up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.