Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
The worrying part of this is that last season we were literally throwing points away due to crap defensive displays, poor marking from set pieces and individual errors.

So far this season we have not even played THAT badly, we just have nothing going forward. Even though the defence has theoretically improved they can only hold out for so long.
Exactly right @Papa Shango .

It appears that Frank has fallen into a trap in terms of formation and setup.

Yes we needed to upgrade the defence - Mina cannot stay fit and Keane is just abysmal, so a couple new CBs was an obvious and welcome move. Great.

Yes we also need to upgrade the midfield - Onana is a welcome addition but we still need more there. If he gets injured at any point then we are left with exactly the same options as last year (minus anyone we manage to sell or loan out).

Yes we desperately need an infusion of new faces in attack - even if Richarlison had stayed!

BUT what I think has happened is that for whatever reason we have managed to complete our upgrade of the defence completely but made very little progress elsewhere, so Frank has thought to himself "How can I minimise the damage in these first few games, while I wait for the board to get their act together?" and the answer he's settled on is "play more defenders, sit back, absorb the pressure and play for the draw."

The problem with this approach is that ANY team that sits back and just defends in the Prem will eventually concede a goal.

I actually think we'd be no worse off if we switched to a 433 and played a more balanced game because, as you say, we have upgraded our defence. I trust a back 4 of Patterson, Holgate, Tarkowski and Mykolenko WAY more than I trusted Coleman, Holgate, Keane, Mykolenko. So play them and stick Davies, Onana and Iwobi in a three-man midfield, give us a fighting chance in midfield instead of just conceding it from the start. Maybe the extra man in midfield would have got us a draw in one of those first two games, maybe he turns the Forest game into a win.

Morning all!! It’s Friday and nothing can go wrong. Great to see a galvanised team spirit amongst the GOT forum faithful! Keep it going and have a good one.

Everton are in advanced talks with Brighton over a deal for French forward Neal Maupay, 26. (Sky Sports)

Everton are closing in on signing Neal Maupay from Brighton, with the club in “advanced talks” over a deal, Dharmesh Sheth and Alan Myers report.

Tottenham Hotspur may have a trick up their sleeve in the pursuit of Everton winger Anthony Gordon, according to reputable journalist Pete O’Rourke

Paul Merson has suggested on SportsKeeda that Everton winger and reported Tottenham Hotspur target Anthony Gordon should not join Thomas Tuchel’s Chelsea in the summer transfer window.

The former Arsenal star believes that Gordon would be tempted to leave Everton for Chelsea in the summer transfer window.

Merson wrote on SportsKeeda: “This transfer window is going to be a hard one for Anthony Gordon. He’s Everton’s superstar, in a sense, and he’s got his head turned. “I think he’ll leave for Chelsea tomorrow morning if he has the chance. But I don’t think he’d play for them anywhere near as often as he could for Everton - nothing about Chelsea ruining the transfer window……

Chelsea target Anthony Gordon has ‘agreed personal terms’ with the club ahead of a potential move, according to journalist Simon Phillips.

The Athletic have reported that Gordon has informed Everton boss Frank Lampard that he wishes to depart his boyhood club and sign for Chelsea ahead of September’s deadline.

In an interview with GiveMeSport, Phillips said: “Gordon himself has agreed personal terms with Chelsea, and he wants to move obviously; that’s quite common knowledge now.

“He’s not going to do anything to push it. I don’t think he’s going to go Wesley Fofana levels on it.”

Everton are reportedly closing in on the signing of Blackburn’s Ben Brereton Diaz.

90Min has claimed that the Toffees have put together a deal that would see them pay an initial £17.5m. The deal also contains add-ons which would take the overall fee to around £20m, added the report.

Everton have expressed interest in bringing in David Harrington as a young backup keeper but their efforts have fallen short.

The negotiation between Everton and Cork City has been cut short with Harrington lobbying to stay put for the season according to the Irish Examiner. Harrington, just 22-years old, was an academy graduate for his Irish club. His contract expires before the end of the year so a move is likely even if it is through a free transfer to another club.

Everton midfielder Dele Alli has joined Besiktas on a season-long loan, saying he "can't wait" to play in Turkey's top division

"For the first time, I will play football outside England," Alli said

"This is amazing stuff. I am very excited to start work as soon as possible. It will be a new challenge for me, I can't wait for it."

Besiktas have said they will not pay a loan fee to Everton but there is an option to buy included in the deal.

Cardiff City are targeting Everton defender Niels Nkounkou on loan.

The 21-year-old left back is poised to join the Champion ship club on a season-long loan. (BBC)

Everton's Jean-Philippe Gbamin has arrived in Turkey to complete a move to Trabzonspor.

Footage from fotomac shows the 26-year-old arriving at the airport in Istanbul, as he told the news outlet: "I feel great. It's a chance for me to play here. I'm grateful they gave me this chance. I'm very happy."

Serie A side Salernitana are 'in talks' with Chelsea striker Michy Batshuayi, according to reports.

Sky in Italy claim they would like to buy the player, while the London club are hoping to loan him out.

Everton, along with Wolves and Leeds United, are among the clubs to be linked with the Belgium international this summer.

Maupay is better than Rondon and Tosun and the other strikers we have been linked with so the squad is better already
For the one millionth time: "He's better than Rondon" is NOT the metric we should be using.

If we bring in a player the same age as DCL or older, he needs to be pushing DCL for the starting place. Otherwise you're lashing out anywhere between £15m and £30m that you won't get back on a player who will command significant wages but won't play much. How do you think we got into this mess to begin with?

Morning all!! It’s Friday and nothing can go wrong. Great to see a galvanised team spirit amongst the GOT forum faithful! Keep it going and have a good one.

Everton are in advanced talks with Brighton over a deal for French forward Neal Maupay, 26. (Sky Sports)

Everton are closing in on signing Neal Maupay from Brighton, with the club in “advanced talks” over a deal, Dharmesh Sheth and Alan Myers report.

Tottenham Hotspur may have a trick up their sleeve in the pursuit of Everton winger Anthony Gordon, according to reputable journalist Pete O’Rourke

Paul Merson has suggested on SportsKeeda that Everton winger and reported Tottenham Hotspur target Anthony Gordon should not join Thomas Tuchel’s Chelsea in the summer transfer window.

The former Arsenal star believes that Gordon would be tempted to leave Everton for Chelsea in the summer transfer window.

Merson wrote on SportsKeeda: “This transfer window is going to be a hard one for Anthony Gordon. He’s Everton’s superstar, in a sense, and he’s got his head turned. “I think he’ll leave for Chelsea tomorrow morning if he has the chance. But I don’t think he’d play for them anywhere near as often as he could for Everton - nothing about Chelsea ruining the transfer window……

Chelsea target Anthony Gordon has ‘agreed personal terms’ with the club ahead of a potential move, according to journalist Simon Phillips.

The Athletic have reported that Gordon has informed Everton boss Frank Lampard that he wishes to depart his boyhood club and sign for Chelsea ahead of September’s deadline.

In an interview with GiveMeSport, Phillips said: “Gordon himself has agreed personal terms with Chelsea, and he wants to move obviously; that’s quite common knowledge now.

“He’s not going to do anything to push it. I don’t think he’s going to go Wesley Fofana levels on it.”

Everton are reportedly closing in on the signing of Blackburn’s Ben Brereton Diaz.

90Min has claimed that the Toffees have put together a deal that would see them pay an initial £17.5m. The deal also contains add-ons which would take the overall fee to around £20m, added the report.

Everton have expressed interest in bringing in David Harrington as a young backup keeper but their efforts have fallen short.

The negotiation between Everton and Cork City has been cut short with Harrington lobbying to stay put for the season according to the Irish Examiner. Harrington, just 22-years old, was an academy graduate for his Irish club. His contract expires before the end of the year so a move is likely even if it is through a free transfer to another club.

Everton midfielder Dele Alli has joined Besiktas on a season-long loan, saying he "can't wait" to play in Turkey's top division

"For the first time, I will play football outside England," Alli said

"This is amazing stuff. I am very excited to start work as soon as possible. It will be a new challenge for me, I can't wait for it."

Besiktas have said they will not pay a loan fee to Everton but there is an option to buy included in the deal.

Cardiff City are targeting Everton defender Niels Nkounkou on loan.

The 21-year-old left back is poised to join the Champion ship club on a season-long loan. (BBC)

Everton's Jean-Philippe Gbamin has arrived in Turkey to complete a move to Trabzonspor.

Footage from fotomac shows the 26-year-old arriving at the airport in Istanbul, as he told the news outlet: "I feel great. It's a chance for me to play here. I'm grateful they gave me this chance. I'm very happy."

Serie A side Salernitana are 'in talks' with Chelsea striker Michy Batshuayi, according to reports.

Sky in Italy claim they would like to buy the player, while the London club are hoping to loan him out.

Everton, along with Wolves and Leeds United, are among the clubs to be linked with the Belgium international this summer.
Thanks Bob

Watched his YouTube goals compilation and some nice finishes in there lol

It is what it is. We’re back to Marcus Bent type days.
Watch Brighton in the Prem however and you'll see him spoon an infinitely larger number of chances into row z.

The thing holding brighton back for the last three seasons has been their lack of a finisher up front. They create plenty of chances but score way too few. Who's been their starting striker for most of that period? Maupay.

Maupay wouldn't be my first choice, but I'd take him over those Ligue 1 nobodies we'd been linked to, if that was the alternative. Wonder if we're still in for Brereton Diaz too? Maybe instead of the rumored 25-30 for Joao Pedro, we get both Maupay and Brereton Diaz for roughly the same amount, without selling Gordon?
Terrier and Dembele are entire tiers above Maupay. Chalk and cheese.

For the one millionth time: "He's better than Rondon" is NOT the metric we should be using.

If we bring in a player the same age as Dominic Calvert-Lewin or older, he needs to be pushing Dominic Calvert-Lewin for the starting place. Otherwise you're lashing out anywhere between £15m and £30m that you won't get back on a player who will command significant wages but won't play much. How do you think we got into this mess to begin with?
So how are we going to pay for a striker with the same amount of quality as Dom? prior to his injuries people were saying £50m+ for him... we'd have to pay that and we don't have that money.

We need numbers up front and hardly have any funds to do it, for £15m if he comes in and contributes to goals and the way the team plays it will be a very smart signing

If we bring in a player the same age as Dominic Calvert-Lewin or older, he needs to be pushing Dominic Calvert-Lewin for the starting place. Otherwise you're lashing out anywhere between £15m and £30m that you won't get back on a player who will command significant wages but won't play much. How do you think we got into this mess to begin with?
Spot on.
Another bang average bench filler. we love those. For me McNeil money and whatever we spend on someone like a new forward ahould have be invested in one player who can go straight into thr firdg 11 up front and challenge dcl for the position.

sick and tired of everton buying wingers and forwards who last 2 months and then are benched and used a squad fillers.

If anyone in here has a few spare million, can you pass it on to Kev so we can afford the better standard of forward that we can’t afford currently?

Spot on.
Another bang average bench filler. we love those. For me McNeil money and whatever we spend on someone like a new forward ahould have be invested in one player who can go straight into thr firdg 11 up front and challenge Dominic Calvert-Lewin for the position.

sick and tired of everton buying wingers and forwards who last 2 months and then are benched and used a squad fillers.
Always good to put your eggs in one basket isn't it!

So how are we going to pay for a striker with the same amount of quality as Dom? prior to his injuries people were saying £50m+ for him... we'd have to pay that and we don't have that money.

We need numbers up front and hardly have any funds to do it, for £15m if he comes in and contributes to goals and the way the team plays it will be a very smart signing
Yup. A 15-20 goal a season striker is hard to come by and if you’re talking about getting them from another PL club then probably £50million minimum.

We just don’t have the financial wriggle room to pay for that calibre of striker and we also aren’t a particularly attractive proposition. We’ve got to re-establish ourselves as a decent PL side and if that means trying to make do and mend for a couple of years then so be it.

McNeil, Maupay and Brereton are really poor additions. Real relegation battle / Championship additions.
McNeil at least is young enough that he might still develop, and we can likely get most of his fee back if he underwhelms.

Maupay at £15m is an error. Has a track record of poor finishing in the prem, at a club that creates more chances than we do. We'd have been better off getting Moffi or Dieng for £8m and developing them, whilst also going for an Ollie Watkins, Martin Terrier or Dembele.

Status
Not open for further replies.